Blue
    2001 GMC Sierra

New to this and need advice

I have a 2001 GMC Sierra, with the 5.3 Vortec and I want to make some more power with it but still keep it reasonable for daily driver use. I was wondering what you guys think I should do to it. As of right now I have a K&N fipk intake, a Flowmaster cat back, and a Superchips flashpac tuner. Future plans include a set of long tube headers and y-pipe, with high flow cats, and possible a granatelli mass air flow sensor. I guess the advice I want is that I was thinking maybe an LS1 cam, and intake manifold, and, if i did do the cam and intake would i need to reprogram my ECU? I know that was a long thread but any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

red
    2005 silverado stepside

Smile

I HAVE A SILVERADO 5,3 2005 INSTALL HEADS AND CAMSHAFT LS6 IT WAS NOT NECESSARY TO PROGRAM, INCREASE THE POWER CONSIDERABLY...

ALSO IT INSTALLS --->

*FLASH PROGRAMMING BY DIABLO SPORT PREDATOR
    *DIRECT EXAHUST OF FLOWMASTER SUPER 40 SERIES (MIL ELIMINATOR)
    *AIR FILTER K&N

PICS --->> http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2061388

VIDEO ---> http://videos.streetfire.net/search/...1300e6f264.htm

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

Quote Originally Posted by 01sierra View Post
    I have a 2001 GMC Sierra, with the 5.3 Vortec and I want to make some more power with it but still keep it reasonable for daily driver use. I was wondering what you guys think I should do to it. As of right now I have a K&N fipk intake, a Flowmaster cat back, and a Superchips flashpac tuner. Future plans include a set of long tube headers and y-pipe, with high flow cats, and possible a granatelli mass air flow sensor. I guess the advice I want is that I was thinking maybe an LS1 cam, and intake manifold, and, if i did do the cam and intake would i need to reprogram my ECU? I know that was a long thread but any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

If you want a better flowing catback get a straight-through muffler...like a magnaflow. Flowmasters sound good but it's a chambered muffler and IMO magnaflow sounds just as good when broken in. Also don't get a new maf...the stocker is more than enough and there's usually tuning issues with aftermarket maf's.

A ls1 cam specs out close enough to the 5.3 cam that a swap wouldn't be worth it...if you want to put in a mild cam a 02+ ls6 cam is decent but a custom cam is your best bet. Here's some cam specs..

190/191 int/exh @ 0.05" duration
    0.466" / 0.457" int/exh lift
    114 LSA

1998 - 2000 Fbody
    202/210 int/exh @ 0.05" duration
    0.496" / 0.496" int/exh lift
    116 LSA

2001 - 2002 Fbody
    197/207 int/exh @ 0.05" duration
    0.467" / 0.479" int/exh lift
    116 LSA

2001 LS6 cam
    207/217 int/exh @ 0.05" duration
    0.525" / 0.525" int/exh lift
    116 LSA

2002+ LS6 cam
    204/218 int/exh @ 0.05" duration
    0.551" / 0.547" int/exh lift
    117 LSA

Yes you'll want a tune after the headers/cam especially with your auto tranny. I'm not too familiar with the superchips flashpac handheld but I know my predator allows custom tunes to be downloaded via your home computer. If I was you after the cam/headers i'd get a dyno tune...or if you want to learn how to tune yourself get hptuners.

The truck manifold actually flows very good and the runners are "tuned" for more low-end torque....which you want in a truck for towing and whatnot. Also putting a ls6 manifold(flows better than a ls1) on would be a pain...right off the bat I can tell you that the upper neck on the 5.3 water pump won't let you put the TB on.

Blue
    2001 GMC Sierra

Thanks SeVeReDiStOrTiOn, lots of useful info. I've been trying to read up in this forum and at performancetrucks.net trying to figure out what i want my next upgrade to be. Right now though i'm kinda thinking about getting a different truck. I still want the 5.3 but i want a 2wd, easier to lower and i never use my 4wd anyway. But i will defenetly be posting on here more, people know what they are talking about.

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

no prob bro...here's a few sites you might like also. I post there now and then...I treat fullsize chevy more like a book though. http://fullsizechevy.com/forums/

Bunch of good guys at this site.. http://chevytruckworld.tenmagazines.com/ew/forums.asp

Thread Information