1965 Jaguar 3.8s

Question I know an LS1 will fit into my-is that the best choice?

I have a 1965 Jaguar 3.8S four door that has an old school iron block 350 and I want to install an aluminum block and head LS type V8. My mechanic said that the LS1 will fit with some minor mods but my question is that the best version? I know there are many generations of that motor and variations and I am not familiar with which is best for what I want. What I want is a motor of at least 350 HP and something around 400 would be cool, I also want it to be an automatic transmission, and I would like to get decent mileage, say the low 20's or higher for freeway driving. I want this to be a daily driven car so I want reasonable gas consumption but as much HP to be able to hold my own against a foreign luxury car.

thanks in advance and I am looking forward to what you more knowledgable LS owners can tell me.

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by Primaz View Post
    I have a 1965 Jaguar 3.8S four door that has an old school iron block 350 and I want to install an aluminum block and head LS type V8. My mechanic said that the LS1 will fit with some minor mods but my question is that the best version? I know there are many generations of that motor and variations and I am not familiar with which is best for what I want. What I want is a motor of at least 350 HP and something around 400 would be cool, I also want it to be an automatic transmission, and I would like to get decent mileage, say the low 20's or higher for freeway driving. I want this to be a daily driven car so I want reasonable gas consumption but as much HP to be able to hold my own against a foreign luxury car.

thanks in advance and I am looking forward to what you more knowledgable LS owners can tell me.
    I would think with a 3.8 it would require a few more than minor mods. I don't know what your budget is but you could put a 408 in there or something similar. That or an ls6 would be my suggestion.

1965 Jaguar 3.8s

sorry I am new to GM engines, what is a "408" I have heard of LS6 engines.

The Jaguar right now already has a old Chevy 350 V8 so my auto shop is confident that they can shoe horn a LS1 engine so I am not too worried but because I know little about the other new models of the LS1 I have no clue what the other models are? What they told me is that any LS motor that is the same physical size as the LS1 engines in the Camaro or Firebird would not be a problem installing.

As far as budget I would like to spend anywhere from $3500 to $7000 for a complete motor/transmission ready to drop in.
    Last edited by Primaz; 04-28-2011 at 09:25 PM.

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by Primaz View Post
    sorry I am new to GM engines, what is a "408" I have heard of LS6 engines.

The Jaguar right now already has a old Chevy 350 V8 so my auto shop is confident that they can shoe horn a LS1 engine so I am not too worried but because I know little about the other new models of the LS1 I have no clue what the other models are? What they told me is that any LS motor that is the same physical size as the LS1 engines in the Camaro or Firebird would not be a problem installing.

As far as budget I would like to spend anywhere from $3500 to $7000 for a complete motor/transmission ready to drop in.
    a 408 is a ls2 that has been stroked out to reach the cid of 408. Basically it has a bigger bore and stroke than stock. I believe most ls series engines are basically the same physical size but obviously not the same displacement. Here's the models of ls series engines ls1, ls6, ls2, ls3, ls7. The ls7 would most definitely be out of your price range, it costs around 14k for a crate engine. If you don't go with the 408 I would personally get a ls6 crate engine.

Metallic Blue
    2001 Chevrolet Camaro Z28

I think an ls3 is your best choice they produce power in the 400 range non modified. Same size as the ls1 outside so if you can fit an ls1 in there you can get the ls3 for sure.

Thread Information