Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

I think my video card took a dump...

Out of no where, the screen on my best laptop started freaking out last night. All garbled and spinning. I had to shut it down with the power button. Booted up again a few times and for a breif time, it was OK and I was able to shut it down properly before going to bed. But, this morning... blank screen

It's my HP and I've had it since 07 and never had an issue. So far it's been a great laptop (the best I've had thus far) and worth the $2400 price tag.

Normaly when I have a laptop start acting a fool, I replace it. But, this one is worth repairing as when I had it built, everything was pretty much top of the line. I know that was 3 years ago and now it's old school. But, I like it and want to keep it around

So, my question... what card should I get to replace the 256MB NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GS video card that just died on me?

This is what I'm working with:

HP Pavilion dv9500t customizable Notebook PC
    • Upgrade to Genuine Windows Vista Ultimate (64-bit)
    • Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 Duo processor T7700 (2.40 GHz, 4 MB L2 Cache, 800MHz FSB)
    • 17.0" WSXGA+ High-Definition HP BrightView Widescreen Display (1680 x 1050)
    • 4GB DDR2 System Memory (2 Dimm)
    • 256MB NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GS
    • HP Imprint (Radiance) + Fingerprint Reader + Microphone
    • Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 4965AGN Network Connection and Bluetooth(TM)
    • 320GB 5400RPM SATA Dual Hard Drive (160GB x 2)
    • FREE Upgrade to LightScribe SuperMulti 8X DVD+/-RW with Double Layer Support!!
    • TV Tuner w/remote control
    • High Capacity 8 Cell Lithium Ion Battery
    • System Recovery DVD with Genuine Windows Vista Ultimate (64-bit)
    • Microsoft(R) Works 8.0
    • HP Home & Home Office Store in-box envelope

I've always repaired my own desktops and have built several, But, never messed with my laptops. Just replaced them. It's time to change that

What is a good graphics card/upgrade that is compatible with this system? I've checked on Tirgerdirect and Egghead and not sure which way I should go. Any advice is appreciated
    Last edited by KahanaReef; 09-04-2010 at 12:43 PM.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Someone in my networking class told me HP knows of an issue with those cards in those laptops.
    That specific card actually. Although it sounds like they are doing nothing to remedy said problem. Something about heat....

He also said something about not being able to replace it because it is part of the mainboard or something like that. Not sure what models he is talking about though.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

I did a little search this morning and found a lot of complaints about the Nvidia GeForce Go 7600. I didn't see anything about the 8600 GS though.

But, guess I'll open it up and take a look and see if it's part of the mainboard. That would suck.

rice,its what's fo dinner LeadFarmer's Avatar

Silver/Black
    00' z28-R.I.P 00' WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by KahanaReef View Post
    Out of no where, the screen on my best laptop started freaking out last night. All garbled and spinning. I had to shut it down with the power button. Booted up again a few times and for a breif time, it was OK and I was able to shut it down properly before going to bed. But, this morning... blank screen

It's my HP and I've had it since 97 and never had an issue. So far it's been a great laptop (the best I've had thus far) and worth the $2400 price tag.

Normaly when I have a laptop start acting a fool, I replace it. But, this one is worth repairing as when I had it built, everything was pretty much top of the line. I know that was 3 years ago and now it's old school. But, I like it and want to keep it around

So, my question... what card should I get to replace the 256MB NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GS video card that just died on me?

This is what I'm working with:

HP Pavilion dv9500t customizable Notebook PC
    • Upgrade to Genuine Windows Vista Ultimate (64-bit)
    • Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 Duo processor T7700 (2.40 GHz, 4 MB L2 Cache, 800MHz FSB)
    • 17.0" WSXGA+ High-Definition HP BrightView Widescreen Display (1680 x 1050)
    • 4GB DDR2 System Memory (2 Dimm)
    • 256MB NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GS
    • HP Imprint (Radiance) + Fingerprint Reader + Microphone
    • Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 4965AGN Network Connection and Bluetooth(TM)
    • 320GB 5400RPM SATA Dual Hard Drive (160GB x 2)
    • FREE Upgrade to LightScribe SuperMulti 8X DVD+/-RW with Double Layer Support!!
    • TV Tuner w/remote control
    • High Capacity 8 Cell Lithium Ion Battery
    • System Recovery DVD with Genuine Windows Vista Ultimate (64-bit)
    • Microsoft(R) Works 8.0
    • HP Home & Home Office Store in-box envelope

I've always repaired my own desktops and have built several, But, never messed with my laptops. Just replaced them. It's time to change that

What is a good graphics card/upgrade that is compatible with this system? I've checked on Tirgerdirect and Egghead and not sure which way I should go. Any advice is appreciated

Try letting the comp go through the boot cycle. Once it gets to the logon screen try clicking around and entering your password. If you hear the logon chime then it's probably your vid card. It's also possible that it's your screen. But if your able to get anything come up on your screen at all then neither are broken, it'll most likely be a driver issue. Garbled screens are caused by either 2 things. Overheating of either the cpu or one of the graphics processors. If it overheated it's possible it could've died, but it usually takes a many series of overheats to kill a gpu.

If your question is what kind of video card to get for your laptop the answer is there is none. You can't change the video card on a laptop, it's integrated into the mobo and there are no expansion slots on laptops. If your asking about a good vid card for a desktop.... nvidia 9800gt, gtx260, gtx280, gtx 460. Sorry i'm not so good with the ATI cards, i'm only up to date with nvidia's stuff.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

I just tried booting it up again and it scramled for a second and just went blank. No sound.

I don't think it's an overheating issue. I keep it on a little stand with a cutout and the fans have open air access. No blockage to the bottom of the laptop whatsoever. I'm also really good about keeping it dust free. This is honestly the first issue I've ever had with it in over 3 years.

I feel like someone just took away my right arm

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Update

Get this... I booted it up like you said to and have just let it sit. But, I noticed that at an angle, I could vaguely see my inbox I moved it to the left a bit and could see my mouse and my emails.

So, it's working, I just can't see anything

What now?

And, again... thanks for the help

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

I'm going to do a system restore and see if that helps. I did install a few updates a few days ago.

Heh... I'm using a flashlight to try and navigate and my mouse sure is hard to find

Silver/Black
    00' z28-R.I.P 00' WS6 M6

try messing with the contrast and brightness. If it isn't something with the settings then there could be a problem the screen. A system restore might help if the updates you installed had something to do with the video drivers. This is unlikely though because seeing as how your card is an nvidia 8600 microsoft's updates wouldn't be responsible for keeping the card's drivers up to date.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Yep, system restore did nothing. But, it was worth a try.

I do get nvidia updates through MS update though. But, yeah, it's been a while since I've seen one. I aways check my updates before installing.

But, I did do an Adobe update recently. I was hoping that might have been the issue. But, I think you're right and it's probably the screen.

Oh well. Looks like I'll have to call HP and see how much this will be to fix.

I use ATI in my desktops and all my laptops had ATI as well. This is my first nvidia...

Thanks for taking the time to help

Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

Has it been dropped or experienced any other trauma recently? Any other extreme environmental changes it may have experienced? (Strong changes in humidity, water contact, electrical shock, cold, heat (not necessarily machine based, ie, left in a hot car))

Also it will probably cost a couple hundred dollars to have it repaired by HP. I know you're fond of the thing, but considering the near-"Disposable" prices of laptops/notebooks/netbooks nowadays, investing in a new, up-to-date machine might be a better choice than repairing your older model which has a higher chance of failing again.

One more thing, if you buy into corporate conspiracies like I do, three years is quite a long time as far as laptops go, it might have been "that time" at which point a hardware alarm goes off in a chip deep within the machine, causing it to fail, so HP can get more of your money, either through repair or buying a new model.

Silver/Black
    00' z28-R.I.P 00' WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by 86 IROC-Z View Post
    Has it been dropped or experienced any other trauma recently? Any other extreme environmental changes it may have experienced? (Strong changes in humidity, water contact, electrical shock, cold, heat (not necessarily machine based, ie, left in a hot car))

Also it will probably cost a couple hundred dollars to have it repaired by HP. I know you're fond of the thing, but considering the near-"Disposable" prices of laptops/notebooks/netbooks nowadays, investing in a new, up-to-date machine might be a better choice than repairing your older model which has a higher chance of failing again.

One more thing, if you buy into corporate conspiracies like I do, three years is quite a long time as far as laptops go, it might have been "that time" at which point a hardware alarm goes off in a chip deep within the machine, causing it to fail, so HP can get more of your money, either through repair or buying a new model.
    I've heard of conspiracy theories for alot of shit, but never against computer manufactures lol. There are several working computers sitting in my house that are 10+ years old which were built by different companies (not me), near worthless and ancient but they still boot and can get on the internet. Plus having "an alarm go off causing the computer to fail" would be much more complicated than it sounds. The only way a "chip" could accomplish that via programming of a switch to simply turn something off would be by shorting some component on the mobo. By doing that you would be able to smell smoke almost instantly, not only that but it would cause a surge/short in the power supply causing that to smoke/catch on fire (trust me I know this from experience.)

Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

Quote Originally Posted by LeadFarmer View Post
    I've heard of conspiracy theories for alot of shit, but never against computer manufactures lol. There are several working computers sitting in my house that are 10+ years old which were built by different companies (not me), near worthless and ancient but they still boot and can get on the internet. Plus having "an alarm go off causing the computer to fail" would be much more complicated than it sounds. The only way a "chip" could accomplish that via programming of a switch to simply turn something off would be by shorting some component on the mobo. By doing that you would be able to smell smoke almost instantly, not only that but it would cause a surge/short in the power supply causing that to smoke/catch on fire (trust me I know this from experience.)
    How to become super wealthy:

Create a product that:
    1: Everyone wants
    2: is inexpensive to produce
    3: can be sold for a high profit margin
    4: has to be replaced every few years

Steve Jobs is super wealthy.
    Apple products have a knack for failing or otherwise completely bricking after 3 or 4 years.

Poor quality and bad manufacturing, or something more sinister at work? You be the judge.

Silver/Black
    00' z28-R.I.P 00' WS6 M6

I agree with what your saying, but just not for the computer market. If sabotage was at play someone would've been able to pinpoint it and bring it to light by now.

My bro has an Emac in his room that he's had since he's been in the 7th grade..... he's a senior now. Components fail every 3-4 years because people abuse them.

There's no need for a comp. manufacturer rigging their components when the products they sell will be well beyond obsolete well before 4yrs. People are forced to buy new comps to keep up with the rapidly advancing market every couple years.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

I have done some research, pulled the thing apart and have come to the conclusion that it is the inverter that is the culprit.

I just ordered one and it should be here by the end of next week. Fingers crossed!

Oh, and Iroc, this laptop isn't exactly behind the times. And, it barely has a scratch on it. I take excellent care of my electronics I've looked at some new laptops this weekend and in comparison, I'd still be dropping at least $2,000 to get something similar. So, I'll dive into laptop repair just like I did PC repair many years ago instead for now

Thanks guys. I'll let you know if it fixes the problem.

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

I did a little search this morning and found a lot of complaints about the Nvidia GeForce Go 7600. I didn't see anything about the 8600 GS though.

But, guess I'll open it up and take a look and see if it's part of the mainboard. That would suck.
    The 7600 GS? Oh crap, that's the one I've got and I'm on my second.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by SiggyZ View Post
    The 7600 GS? Oh crap, that's the one I've got and I'm on my second.
    I don't think it's my graphics chip. It seems to be working fine. I've got the 256MB NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GS video card.

I had narrowed it down to either the back lights (mine has two) or the LCD inverter. I think it's the inverter though. I'll find out when it gets here. It would be a super simple fix. If that doesn't work, I'll either replace the two bulbs or buy a new screen.

Laptops are new territory for me. But, after taking it apart, it's not as intimidating as I thought. Pretty much the same as a desktop (logically anyway) but, super crammed together. And, teeny tiny screws. Lots of them!

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

I don't think it's my graphics chip. It seems to be working fine. I've got the 256MB NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GS video card.

I had narrowed it down to either the back lights (mine has two) or the LCD inverter. I think it's the inverter though. I'll find out when it gets here. It would be a super simple fix. If that doesn't work, I'll either replace the two bulbs or buy a new screen.

Laptops are new territory for me. But, after taking it apart, it's not as intimidating as I thought. Pretty much the same as a desktop (logically anyway) but, super crammed together. And, teeny tiny screws. Lots of them!
    That's good and I wasn't thinking yours is a laptop video card. Mine is the 512mb 8x AGP card in my custom desktop.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by SiggyZ View Post
    That's good and I wasn't thinking yours is a laptop video card. Mine is the 512mb 8x AGP card in my custom desktop.
    You're always confusing my HP Laptop with my desktops

Although, the whole idea behind the build of the HP was to have a desktop replacement, only better

Considering that I had written off HP as well as everyone else, I have to say that I am very happy with this laptop. It's been virtually trouble free for 3 years and is on from morning till night. Making my desktop practically unnecessary.
    Last edited by KahanaReef; 09-07-2010 at 07:57 AM.

Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

Sorry kahana, I misunderstood your previous posts and thought you had planned to send it to HP to get repaired (Which would probably cost an arm and a leg).

If you're doing it yourself though, I fully agree. My laptop had a problem in the Spring (Unrelated, it's a Sony Vaio) where the CPU cooling fan began making a horrendous noise which was annoying enough in itself, but I was more concerned with it's ability to cool the system, I didn't want a failure and a useless laptop.

I managed to get the correct fan/sink/bracket assembly from an online store for about $80 or so, which for a $2000 laptop (in 2006) was great insurance.

Also, you said you took it apart already, but if you have any trouble, you might be able to find the technical manual for it online, which shows detailed disassembly/reassembly diagrams. I found one for my own model and it made it a breeze.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by 86 IROC-Z View Post
    Sorry kahana, I misunderstood your previous posts and thought you had planned to send it to HP to get repaired (Which would probably cost an arm and a leg).

If you're doing it yourself though, I fully agree. My laptop had a problem in the Spring (Unrelated, it's a Sony Vaio) where the CPU cooling fan began making a horrendous noise which was annoying enough in itself, but I was more concerned with it's ability to cool the system, I didn't want a failure and a useless laptop.

I managed to get the correct fan/sink/bracket assembly from an online store for about $80 or so, which for a $2000 laptop (in 2006) was great insurance.

Also, you said you took it apart already, but if you have any trouble, you might be able to find the technical manual for it online, which shows detailed disassembly/reassembly diagrams. I found one for my own model and it made it a breeze.
    I was considering calling HP to see how much it would cost at first But, then I realized... It's a freaking computer and I've built and repaired my own for years. I've never paid for a computer repair and don't want to start now. I've just never attempted to repair a laptop before. For some reason, I was little intimidated by it.

Maybe I'm just getting old

And, the Toshiba laptop that I'm posting from right now (the one I was upgrading from when I bought the HP) the fan is driving me crazy! Keys are sticking everywhere, it's slow as shit and now I remember why I had my HP built

The convenience of my laptops has really made my desktops in my office feel like a prison sentence when I'm stuck back there.

You know, I found some great instruction on youtube. It really helped me figure it all out. Get familiar with the innards. So, I took it to the dining room table and proceeded to tear into it. I feel better about it now

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information