Red
    2001 ws6

can someone look this code up for me

my dd is a 2000 grand prix gtp with 53k miles and is throwing code 1811....car shifts real hard, just bought the car 4 months ago and if i need to put a new transmission in in guna be pissed.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

google dtc p1811 ...it is transmission based.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

4t65e, 4t60e, 4t60e hd.. All junk tranny's..
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Code P1811 is hands down the most common trouble code and commonly asked about problem. This code can set for numorous reasons and often by a failing pressure control, BUT on higher mileage transmissions this is often not the case or at least is not the only cause to the problem. With that said it is important to understand that replacing the pressure control solenoid is NOT a guaranteed fix!

This code will set when the pcm/tcm detects excessively long shift times. For every shift the pcm/tcm watches how long the shift takes to complete in milliseconds. If the shift times are over roughly the .06 second timeframe and the pcm/tcm tries to compensate for this by raising line pressure and still does not see acceptable shift times after a few shift cycle it will trigger code P1811. When this happens it puts the transmission in a max line pressure condition to help protect the transmission against excessive slippage and burnt clutches. While this condition is present you will feel harsh shifts, some vehicles more agressive than others, and you will also hear a whine noise similar to what a power steering pump that is low on fluid will sound like. You can shut the engine off for a brief moment and restart the vehicle and it will feel normal again until a few shift cycles of excessive shift times and the cycle will repeat itself. This typically only happens after you have driven for a short while and the transmission and its fluid warms up.

Some common causes to this problem are-

-Poor working PCS (Pressure Control Solenoid), also called EPC or Force Motor
    -Excessive clutch clearances
    -Poor functioning accumulator system
    -Worn internal seals and sealing rings
    -Excessive valve body wear
    -Dirty MAF sensor resulting in lower commanded line pressure

Due to the list of potential problems it is difficult to suggest just one or two items to cure code P1811 as everything above and many other parts and variables all play a role in the effect. Unfortunately because of the orientation of this transmission and how it sits in a vehicle it requires quite a bit of labor to access the pressure control solenoid as well as the valve body. One thing popular to try before diving into an expensive and labor enduring repair is to install a shift improver kit such as the Transgo SK4T65E shift kit that we offer. This kit includes a new set of accumulator springs and spacers to limit accumulator piston travel which greatly speeds up the time it takes to apply a clutch, which hand in hand will shorten the shift time. These kits are not made to create firm or harsh feeling shifts but to help speed up shift timing and keep what the pcm/tcm wants to see in check to prevent code P1811 from triggering. As mentioned above higher mileage plays a big role in how this transmission works and also means you should replace parts with caution and have the understanding that there is no 100% guaranteed fix to this problem without tearing into the entire transmission to address and upgrade the problem areas.

If you want the site link I can pm it..
    Last edited by Smittro; 06-17-2010 at 02:03 PM.

Impounded

VW BEETLE W/ FLOWER
    88 CRX

Quote Originally Posted by smittro View Post
    code p1811 is hands down the most common trouble code and commonly asked about problem. This code can set for numorous reasons and often by a failing pressure control, but on higher mileage transmissions this is often not the case or at least is not the only cause to the problem. With that said it is important to understand that replacing the pressure control solenoid is not a guaranteed fix!

This code will set when the pcm/tcm detects excessively long shift times. For every shift the pcm/tcm watches how long the shift takes to complete in milliseconds. If the shift times are over roughly the .06 second timeframe and the pcm/tcm tries to compensate for this by raising line pressure and still does not see acceptable shift times after a few shift cycle it will trigger code p1811. When this happens it puts the transmission in a max line pressure condition to help protect the transmission against excessive slippage and burnt clutches. While this condition is present you will feel harsh shifts, some vehicles more agressive than others, and you will also hear a whine noise similar to what a power steering pump that is low on fluid will sound like. You can shut the engine off for a brief moment and restart the vehicle and it will feel normal again until a few shift cycles of excessive shift times and the cycle will repeat itself. This typically only happens after you have driven for a short while and the transmission and its fluid warms up.

Some common causes to this problem are-

-poor working pcs (pressure control solenoid), also called epc or force motor
    -excessive clutch clearances
    -poor functioning accumulator system
    -worn internal seals and sealing rings
    -excessive valve body wear
    -dirty maf sensor resulting in lower commanded line pressure

due to the list of potential problems it is difficult to suggest just one or two items to cure code p1811 as everything above and many other parts and variables all play a role in the effect. Unfortunately because of the orientation of this transmission and how it sits in a vehicle it requires quite a bit of labor to access the pressure control solenoid as well as the valve body. One thing popular to try before diving into an expensive and labor enduring repair is to install a shift improver kit such as the transgo sk4t65e shift kit that we offer. This kit includes a new set of accumulator springs and spacers to limit accumulator piston travel which greatly speeds up the time it takes to apply a clutch, which hand in hand will shorten the shift time. These kits are not made to create firm or harsh feeling shifts but to help speed up shift timing and keep what the pcm/tcm wants to see in check to prevent code p1811 from triggering. As mentioned above higher mileage plays a big role in how this transmission works and also means you should replace parts with caution and have the understanding that there is no 100% guaranteed fix to this problem without tearing into the entire transmission to address and upgrade the problem areas.
    +1,000,000

Red
    2001 ws6

had this problem a few weeks ago with the same code, had a buddy clear the code and replaced my "switch/commutateur interruptor" with no luck. everything you just described is what it does, it lags to shift and then shifts hard. with that being said, how much money and time am i looking at to get this fixed and does this mean my transmission is going?

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by basballny2 View Post
    had this problem a few weeks ago with the same code, had a buddy clear the code and replaced my "switch/commutateur interruptor" with no luck. everything you just described is what it does, it lags to shift and then shifts hard. with that being said, how much money and time am i looking at to get this fixed and does this mean my transmission is going?
    In my oppy it maybe better to replace the tranny.. Or run it till it dies.. The problem with the trannies I named one of which is yours is they can be more trouble and costly to fix than to replace. On top of that there's a chance the code/condition could just return even after repairs. Gm only made a hand full of FWD trannies that are worth a spit. Unfortunately you can't use any of them without modding the k-frame and mounts amoung other things.. I know this does'nt really help but you can thank gm for 30 years of not producing FWD trannies that hold up to mild bolt ons or even stock power.. The best auto transaxle they produced so far imho is the 4t80e (northstar equipt cars).. But the tranny is massive , about the same as having 2 of the trannies you're running now.. I'm starting to ramble now but there ya go a brief and sad history of the GM FWD transaxles..
    Last edited by Smittro; 06-18-2010 at 04:45 AM.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    In my oppy it maybe better to replace the tranny.. Or run it till it dies.. The problem with the trannies I named one of which is yours is they can be more trouble and costly to fix than to replace. On top of that there's a chance the code/condition could just return even after repairs. Gm only made a hand full of FWD trannies that are worth a spit. Unfortunately you can't use any of them without modding the k-frame and mounts amoung other things.. I know this does'nt really help but you can thank gm for 30 years of not producing FWD trannies that hold up to mild bolt ons or even stock power.. The best auto transaxle they produced so far imho is the 4l80e (northstar equipt cars).. But the tranny is massive , about the same as having 2 of the trannies you're running now.. I'm starting to ramble now but there ya go a brief and sad history of the GM FWD transaxles..

dont you mean 4t80e ?

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    dont you mean 4t80e ?
    yeah i had a heavier "L" for the Camaro on the brain too @ the time..lol but yes "T"..
    Last edited by Smittro; 06-18-2010 at 04:49 AM.

Red
    2001 ws6

thanks for the info guys!

Thread Information