Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tools!!!

2011 Prius

Tools!!!

Since I moved out and with my parents getting a divorce... Not wanting to argue with my step dad on what little tools was mind, I just said fuck it...

I no longer have access to my tools or his, nothing. I am tooless (yes, yes I know that sounds bad).

So I need to buy everything, as I like to work on my own cars. But the only down side, I live in an apartment with no garage. I would like to build a nice tool box, that I can easily carry up and down the stairs. The larger tools, I would like for them to be small enough not to take up the entire space. I have a basic idea on what to get, but what would everyone recommend? I don't want to be replace shit left and right.

Mostly I intend for basic maintenance, bolt ons, and body work. No engine swaps, since well no garage. But with a budget of lets say $1,000 off the bat, then another $1,000 in about 3 months. I would mostly like to get an small portable air compressor and possibly a welder (need to learn to weld first), in about 3 months.

I figured, best getting a craftsmen tool set. A tool box put in my laundry room and then get a small hand box and take what I need down stairs? A decent set of jacks and stands would be great. Any tips for working on cars with no garage and in a apartment complex.

Thankfully, no one parks near my car and where I would be working. My Falcon is in my brothers parking garage for his complex.

Impounded
    gmcheviac

For basic maintenance those cheap craftsman "mechanics tool sets" in the plastic cases are portable and organize the stuff. You can fit quite a few extra tools in there as well. I have a habit of breaking the cheap new style wrenches, free replacement however

2011 Prius

Quote Originally Posted by wheeliE-maxx View Post
    For basic maintenance those cheap craftsman "mechanics tool sets" in the plastic cases are portable and organize the stuff. You can fit quite a few extra tools in there as well. I have a habit of breaking the cheap new style wrenches, free replacement however
    I am looking at one now, looks fairly decent. I think I may pick one up this weekend, just pricing around.

Impounded
    gmcheviac

That's about as cheap as it gets for most of the stuff you'll need. Anything below craftsman these days is pretty much junk

2011 Prius

That's about as cheap as it gets for most of the stuff you'll need. Anything below craftsman these days is pretty much junk
    Yea, I broke a few wreches also... But I could never get them replaced. They said it was abuse. Ummmmm, hmmm...

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

CraftsMan for sure for the hobbiest. I have still have most of the sockets, drivers and wrenches I purchased back in the mid-70's. And I've wrenched on a lot of cars.

2011 Prius

As for ramps and stands... I was kind thinking about these from race ramps.

http://www.raceramps.com/

Any use them, looks nice and would give some space?

Kinda pricey though...

2002 Z28 A4 NBM

Quote Originally Posted by SHines-IT View Post
    Yea, I broke a few wreches also... But I could never get them replaced. They said it was abuse. Ummmmm, hmmm...
    If hand tools show air tool usage (square drive rounded out, etc.) They won't replace them. That's why I only use air tool sockets and drivers with air tools. Save the hand tools for hand tool usage. I've broken quite a few ratchets, wrenches and screwdrivers and I've never had a problem getting replacements.

Hammer on a screwdriver like it's a chisel and they won't replace it either.

NBM
    '00 A4 SS

Yea, I bought a little craftsman toolset summer of 09' when I got my truck just in case I ever needed it. Was like $75 I think?? Somewhere around that price range, wasn't too expensive, but it's not big at all and comes in a portable plastic box, works really good, has all the wrenches you'll ever need and again, it's really portable/lightweight, just go to like Sears or Black and Decker, they should have the toolbox I'm describing, works really good, i'd give it a shot.

Impounded
    gmcheviac

Quote Originally Posted by 67CamaroRSSS View Post
    CraftsMan for sure for the hobbiest. I have still have most of the sockets, drivers and wrenches I purchased back in the mid-70's. And I've wrenched on a lot of cars.
    Old craftsman stuff was great IMO. My dad has all sorts of sets his dad and brothers gave him from the 60's and 70's, some stuff is older. But I mixed them all up as a kid working on bikes, cars, and dirtbikes. So I just grab my nicely organized new craftsman case

2011 Prius

Any good online sites to order that would be cheaper then brick stores? I would like to have allot of them by next weekend.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM

Old craftsman stuff was great IMO. My dad has all sorts of sets his dad and brothers gave him from the 60's and 70's, some stuff is older. But I mixed them all up as a kid working on bikes, cars, and dirtbikes. So I just grab my nicely organized new craftsman case
    All my tools are engraved (bought the tool to do this) in case they ever got stolen. Depending on what I marked tells me which one is from what set. This is how I keep them separated after mixing them up while using.

AS you may have guessed I have a 3 box high tool chest.

2011 Prius

All my tools are engraved (bought the tool to do this) in case they ever got stolen. Depending on what I marked tells me which one is from what set. This is how I keep them separated after mixing them up while using.

AS you may have guessed I have a 3 box high tool chest.
    That's a good idea,

Impounded
    gmcheviac

3 boxer here besides my cased tool sets and power tools

2002 Z28 A4 NBM

I worked as a mechanic for a while and then had my own shop for a number of years. Engraving the tools with my SS (initials + last 4) just made sense. Set 1 has a "1", set 2 has a "2", etc.

Impounded
    gmcheviac

If you don't have an oil filter wrench/socket, get one. I need to dent my flexplate cover because it interferes with the wrench. Makes oil filters a hoe, have to crush them with big channel locks

2002 Z28 A4 NBM

I have a whole drawer devoted to tools that I "customized" for 1 thing or another. Cut down, ground off, etc. I've even got several sockets I ground on the driver end to fit a wrench that work on spark plugs when you have headers. There's always 1 plug that's a bitch to get to.

Red, Pewter
    03 cobra07 street glide

get snap-on those are nice tools

silver
    2002 ws6

i dunno if you yanks have access to westward tools, but they are awesome. very good quality, great price, and lifetime warranty. no receipt needed, just take it anywhere that covers westward and it will be replaced no questions asked. it's all i use. i just cannot justify the retarded price of snap on

silver
    2002 ws6

I have a whole drawer devoted to tools that I "customized" for 1 thing or another. Cut down, ground off, etc. I've even got several sockets I ground on the driver end to fit a wrench that work on spark plugs when you have headers. There's always 1 plug that's a bitch to get to.
    lol yeah i've done that to tools for injector lines for diesel equipment.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information