Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Black
    2001 Camaro ss

..mi 01 ss runs real good..I ve owned many 300 plus horsepower cars and nothing ever felt like this LS1..this december it will be 10 happy years..they were underrated or had some special parts in the block...

Well if you believe what you read and see on the internet then so be it. Most of those quick cars you read about as being stock,,,may or may not be. No one can say for sure. Not to mention they all seem to be running at sea level tracks like Gainsville, Atco, Sacramento, Capital Raceway etc.....
    If you visit these tracks in cooler weather it's very easy to get DA numbers well below sea level. Been there, done that.

These conditions are only met certain times of the year, possibly waiting another 6-9 months before you "MIGHT" be able to duplicate the best run again.

Because of these issues I've pointed out,,,I really don't view the LS1's fastest recorded times (as per the internet) as being "REAL WORLD". As most of us don't drive in those conditions day in and day out. Most of the country don't even get to race in those conditions.
    So those times of 12 second runs with what are supposed to be bone stock LS1's don't mean shit to me.
    Running in real world conditions like 90% of the country does, with heat and humidity,,,,you are simply not going to see those times with a stock LS1. Besides that,,,it's easy to throw a tune in a 4th gen, who's going to know??

There is really one major factor as to why LS1's run as good as they do,,,,and it's not because some cars got LS6 blocks, or different camshafts, or just because people think it's an LS engine so it has to be great,,,right???
    They run the way they do because of the simple reason they have 15 degree cylinder heads that aids in breathing tremendously. 15 degree heads were unheard of on a GM production V8 before 97,,,,it was something you only saw in Nascar.
    Even 18 degree heads on a Gen 1 small block was high tech at the time and only aftermarket and very expensive to do.
    There is nothing else really all that special about the LS1 that makes it run the way it does. Stick a set of regular ole' 23 degree heads on an LS1 motor and you are right back at gen 1 performance, plain and simple.

Silver
    2000 z28

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Well if you believe what you read and see on the internet then so be it. Most of those quick cars you read about as being stock,,,may or may not be. No one can say for sure. Not to mention they all seem to be running at sea level tracks like Gainsville, Atco, Sacramento, Capital Raceway etc.....
    If you visit these tracks in cooler weather it's very easy to get DA numbers well below sea level. Been there, done that.

These conditions are only met certain times of the year, possibly waiting another 6-9 months before you "MIGHT" be able to duplicate the best run again.

Because of these issues I've pointed out,,,I really don't view the LS1's fastest recorded times (as per the internet) as being "REAL WORLD". As most of us don't drive in those conditions day in and day out. Most of the country don't even get to race in those conditions.
    So those times of 12 second runs with what are supposed to be bone stock LS1's don't mean shit to me.
    Running in real world conditions like 90% of the country does, with heat and humidity,,,,you are simply not going to see those times with a stock LS1. Besides that,,,it's easy to throw a tune in a 4th gen, who's going to know??

There is really one major factor as to why LS1's run as good as they do,,,,and it's not because some cars got LS6 blocks, or different camshafts, or just because people think it's an LS engine so it has to be great,,,right???
    They run the way they do because of the simple reason they have 15 degree cylinder heads that aids in breathing tremendously. 15 degree heads were unheard of on a GM production V8 before 97,,,,it was something you only saw in Nascar.
    Even 18 degree heads on a Gen 1 small block was high tech at the time and only aftermarket and very expensive to do.
    There is nothing else really all that special about the LS1 that makes it run the way it does. Stick a set of regular ole' 23 degree heads on an LS1 motor and you are right back at gen 1 performance, plain and simple.
    sure your not a mustang driver?? jk i agree with you on the humidity and sea level i live in tx and the humidity is crazy here theres no way a stock ls1 motor is gonna run a 12

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

FBJones is our forum scientist.

Very well said, and I agree. The real world is just that, the real world. Numbers are only as good as the area you are in.

2018 Tahoe - Silver - OEM

2008 Z06 - Velocity Yellow - BBE exhuast - Airaid CAI **sold**

2002 Z06 - Electron Blue Metallic - D1 - E85 - 701 rwhp 687 rwtq **sold**

2002 Z28: M6 NBM - cam and boltons - 396rwhp 357 rwtq **sold**

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    Numbers are only as good as the area you are in.
    That pretty much sums it up right there.
    I should have just said that and saved all that damn typing

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

That pretty much sums it up right there.
    I should have just said that and saved all that damn typing
    But then it would have lost it's scientific luster. I'm like the cliff notes for when people don't want to read a well written post!

Quote Originally Posted by 00ls-1 View Post
    sure your not a mustang driver?? jk i agree with you on the humidity and sea level i live in tx and the humidity is crazy here theres no way a stock ls1 motor is gonna run a 12
    I'll admit I'm not brand specific,,,I like pretty much everything if it's american made

To take that a step further as far as mustangs go,,,or even chrysler.....we can sit here and do this for any car we want to.

I'm sure there are some quick bone stock mustangs out there, or even a foreign car of a certain make/model. But you really have to take into account where and when these runs take place. In any case,,,it wouldn't be what is considered the "general rule" when it comes to real world quarter mile times for that particular car. Just because one did it,,,,doesn't mean they all do or will.

That's a problem the internet is somewhat to blame for. You get one or two LS1's (that are supposed to be stock) that dip into the 12's and now everyone in the country thinks they all have 12 second cars

Black
    1999 WS6

I'll admit I'm not brand specific,,,I like pretty much everything if it's american made

To take that a step further as far as mustangs go,,,or even chrysler.....we can sit here and do this for any car we want to.

I'm sure there are some quick bone stock mustangs out there, or even a foreign car of a certain make/model. But you really have to take into account where and when these runs take place. In any case,,,it wouldn't be what is considered the "general rule" when it comes to real world quarter mile times for that particular car. Just because one did it,,,,doesn't mean they all do or will.

That's a problem the internet is somewhat to blame for. You get one or two LS1's (that are supposed to be stock) that dip into the 12's and now everyone in the country thinks they all have 12 second cars

I couldn't agree more with this entire statement.
    And as far as drivers go, that's a whole other story in itself.
    1999 WS6 - Black - 414rwhp 401rwtq w/o NOS
    632rwhp 577rwtq with HSW 250shot NOS

Silver
    2000 z28

agreed i also like mustangs buut i wont buy another...my brother has a 99 gt and i do the work for him and that thing is a pain in the ass to work on compared to the ls1 and hes got 2500-3 grand in upgrades plus 7-8k for the car with 70k miles ive got 4-5k in the car the taxes to buy it the stereo and the mods with 223k miles and until he went and got nitrous this weekend i was still beatin his ass

agreed i also like mustangs buut i wont buy another...my brother has a 99 gt and i do the work for him and that thing is a pain in the ass to work on compared to the ls1 and hes got 2500-3 grand in upgrades plus 7-8k for the car with 70k miles ive got 4-5k in the car the taxes to buy it the stereo and the mods with 223k miles and until he went and got nitrous this weekend i was still beatin his ass
    I've never owned a mustang of that generation but I've worked on a few. Most recently on an 01 GT. Did a camshaft swap (dual cams) which really wasn't all that bad. Also did headers and exhaust as well as a stall converter,,,and then setup some 4.10 rear gears for it.
    He took the car to get tuned somewhere around here. I felt the car ran pretty decent for what it was.

Silver
    2000 z28

i havent been into the motor but his clutch wasnt the easiest task in the world biggest hting to me is i work on heavy duty trucks so im used to the room....i hard doin cams on those suck because of the 3 timing chains

i havent been into the motor but his clutch wasnt the easiest task in the world biggest hting to me is i work on heavy duty trucks so im used to the room....i hard doin cams on those suck because of the 3 timing chains
    I didn't think the camshafts were that bad to do. The chains are long but it's relatively easy.
    Pulling the trans for the converter swap wasn't all that bad either.

What was tough was installing headers. My arms didn't reach up in there all that well, it was a tight fit.

Silver
    2000 z28

you changed the headers without dropping the motor down or raising it? hes got some bbk ceramic short tubes waitin to be put on

Yes, the headers were from Ford Motorsport I believe. I installed an entire system from the headers back. The rest of it was a magnaflow kit.

Silver
    2000 z28

nice...thats good to know he can put em in then lol hes been sitn on em for like 3 months waitn on me to do it lol my buddy ran the nitrous lines for him and i gave him the fittings to tie into his fuel rail and told him how to do it and he still waited 2 more weeks for someone to help

red
    1999 camaro Z28

I never owned a mustang either, although there are things I do like about them. But I did go right beside a heavily modded Rouch mustang on a dyno once. I saw the dyno sheet myself - 252 rwhp. I asked if the car was stock. The response was "not even close." My '99 Z28 did 302 hp bone stock except for an SLP loudmouth cat back exhaust. Also 13.5 at 108 mph with 2.73 gears, a stock TQ converter and street tires. Not bad for stock I guess. Oh yeah, an A4 with a good shift kit.

Thread Information