Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Quote Originally Posted by nhraformula View Post
    Yes people do get high and mighty. Stick guys always make some bullshit comment that sets off the auto guys. Then the auto guys talk shit back.
    This topic has been beat to death here over the last 12 years or so and always comes down to people making snotty comments (guilty myself). In all reality, they just need to automatically close all threads that are M6 Vs A4.

Having owned 2 LS1 cars, one auto the other stick, i can honestly say that both have their place. While one (stick) is more of a challenge to drive, that challenge does not make it the better choice or make a person/car the better one.
    It gets exhausting the comments people make suggesting that A4 owners are simpletons because they put their car in gear and thats it.
    I agree, some people just don't grasp it. The fact that the internet has it's fair share of youngins or people with chips on their shoulders doesn't help matter either. I currently own one of each (4th gens) and like them both equally. Also being an avid classic car collector, I don't turn away muscle cars just because of the transmission they may have. As a matter of fact, whether an auto or a stick, it's never seemed to affect the appraisal values. I can appreciate either.

black
    2000 trans am ws6 a4

i really thought i would hear some of the m6 owners complain about the clutch pedal fade problem.that was the #1 main reason i sold my m6 and went with an a4.i tried to eliminate that problem the best i could.the clutch fade got better after my repair,but the problem still existed.so i sold her.now i got an a4 which went out on me within 300 miles of owning the car.the servo oring split so the servo wasnt able to apply the wideband anymore.easy fix.anyhoo,...a4 cars are much better than m6s.they are faster,sexier,built better,smell nicer and i really hope you guys are catching on to my sarcasim.lol!!

Quote Originally Posted by Leeroyws6 View Post
    i really thought i would hear some of the m6 owners complain about the clutch pedal fade problem.that was the #1 main reason i sold my m6 and went with an a4.i tried to eliminate that problem the best i could.the clutch fade got better after my repair,but the problem still existed.so i sold her.now i got an a4 which went out on me within 300 miles of owning the car.the servo oring split so the servo wasnt able to apply the wideband anymore.easy fix.anyhoo,...a4 cars are much better than m6s.they are faster,sexier,built better,smell nicer and i really hope you guys are catching on to my sarcasim.lol!!
    Ya there is the hydraulic clutch system that sucks, and it's usually a 1st on the list of upgrades. Then of course there is the clutch itself that is marginal when you start throwing power at it.
    Then once you have the driveline up to snuff to take stick racing abuse, being the rearend and the driveshaft, and can actually drive the car the way stick cars were meant to be driven, you'll find out how weak the output shaft is, just sayin See what I mean about stick racing getting expensive?? That's not even mentioning safety goodies like blow proof bellhousings.
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 10-27-2010 at 10:17 AM.

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28 Conv. M6

Ok.......As posted before, everyone's a winner if they have an LS1! This SHOULD ONLY be respectful opinions & healthy debate about WHY one has an A4 or M6. There's going to be negative and positive reasons either way. BUT I still haven't heard enough feedback about WHY the mighty ZR1 is a 6speed only car. Let's also remember the ZR1 is the BEST Chevy has to offer from the factory. OH and by the way, has anyone seen how it destroys the GTR and other machines costing 3 times as much. Who knows, maybe with an automatic it would drop faster 0-60's and 1/4 mile times huh?????lol.... If that were true, maybe it WOULD have an Auto!!! (again, this is healthy debate gentleman)

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28 Conv. M6

OK here's another interesting FACT to debate: WHY is the TOP OF THE LINE 2010-11 CAMARO SS top out at 426 horsepower in the MANUAL ONLY?????? Well..................

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

Quote Originally Posted by jb3golf View Post
    OK here's another interesting FACT to debate: WHY is the TOP OF THE LINE 2010-11 CAMARO SS top out at 426 horsepower in the MANUAL ONLY?????? Well..................
    Marketing.

Put that and the auto version on a dyno for the true numbers
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black

Ok.......As posted before, everyone's a winner if they have an LS1! This SHOULD ONLY be respectful opinions & healthy debate about WHY one has an A4 or M6. There's going to be negative and positive reasons either way. BUT I still haven't heard enough feedback about WHY the mighty ZR1 is a 6speed only car. Let's also remember the ZR1 is the BEST Chevy has to offer from the factory. OH and by the way, has anyone seen how it destroys the GTR and other machines costing 3 times as much. Who knows, maybe with an automatic it would drop faster 0-60's and 1/4 mile times huh?????lol.... If that were true, maybe it WOULD have an Auto!!! (again, this is healthy debate gentleman)
    You get more mpg with a stick therefore GM doesnt get nailed on the gas guzzler tax

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

These threads always go forever. Simple:

51% track car, 49% street car? Automatic

49% track car, 51% street car? Manual

If you like rowing gears on the street more then cutting lights at the track, get a manual. Not much more to it.

I cut a few 1.69 60's in my 6 speed and many 1.71/2/3 60's. Sometimes after that, I missed 3rd because (insert excuse here) and lost the race. That sucks, and is why I will be swapping to a automatic. Because I like winning races more then rowing gears.

It's really a simple question answer, that requires zero debate in my eyes.

Navy Blue
    1999 Camaro Z28

No.

Pie is far superior to cake!! You can live on pies, not cake. Savory pies, breakfast pies...

Yup...
    I like pie! Cake sucks!

04 Cobra 'vert - M6 mysti
    02 WS6 coupe - A4 red

Quote Originally Posted by nhraformula View Post
    You get more mpg with a stick therefore GM doesnt get nailed on the gas guzzler tax
    That's changing as we speak... I've been meaning to read up on modern auto trannies to see what's changed to allow them to get more MPGs than manuals...

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

I don't. Think you are truely understanding why it is a m6. The reason I gave you is the reason..period

Different engine for the manual. It was able to meet CAFE fuel standards with the 6 speed so the variable timing engine wasn't used. Transmission choice had nothing to do with the power the engine made.
    The auto's were rated a tad lower since they had to use less cam timing to meet CAFE fuel standards, the auto just didn't give the mileage needed, otherwise they both would have had the same engine.
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 10-27-2010 at 04:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    I don't. Think you are truely understanding why it is a m6. The reason I gave you is the reason..period
    Shady already touched on this for you in a previous post.

Thread Information