Page 35 of 58 FirstFirst ... 51531323334353637383955 ... LastLast
    We SSR owners have been talking about your thread here and below is what one of the owners posted.

The EPA did a study in 06 of gas additives and I read the simple overview (the report itself was very costly to view) and it stated that 2 stroke oil, added to gas, gave a substantial increase in fine particulate emissions and a slight increase in CO and HC emissions. As a point of reference, a 10% Ethanol blend lowered emissions by 15% on HC and 29% on CO. This is simply an oil that you're adding to your gas and it's designed for lubrication. If indeed it does increase mileage, I think it's only because it's leaning the fuel mixture by diluting it with a non combustible lubricant. Nowhere do they talk about any performance increase as I'm sure that wouldn't be the case. Once again at the recommended 500 to 1 ratio I can't envision this doing anything at all really. This oil is designed to be used in a 50 to 80 to 1 ratio for lubrication only. Your oiling system in a Gen 3 engine is very well engineered to give more than sufficient lubrication and is really somewhat over done, in my opinion, as the oil consumption has been discussed here before.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by AN SSR OWNER View Post
    We SSR owners have been talking about your thread here and below is what one of the owners posted.

The EPA did a study in 06 of gas additives and I read the simple overview (the report itself was very costly to view) and it stated that 2 stroke oil, added to gas, gave a substantial increase in fine particulate emissions and a slight increase in CO and HC emissions. As a point of reference, a 10% Ethanol blend lowered emissions by 15% on HC and 29% on CO. This is simply an oil that you're adding to your gas and it's designed for lubrication. If indeed it does increase mileage, I think it's only because it's leaning the fuel mixture by diluting it with a non combustible lubricant. Nowhere do they talk about any performance increase as I'm sure that wouldn't be the case. Once again at the recommended 500 to 1 ratio I can't envision this doing anything at all really. This oil is designed to be used in a 50 to 80 to 1 ratio for lubrication only. Your oiling system in a Gen 3 engine is very well engineered to give more than sufficient lubrication and is really somewhat over done, in my opinion, as the oil consumption has been discussed here before.
    Few things...TCW3 has a significant amount of cleaning capabilities. These characteristic result in a much cleaner top end. Efficiencies are coming into play. I also see so many folks making the "not enough to make a difference" but will pay for Techron in their gas or nitogen enriched....do you have any idea what the ratios are for those additives? Less than our/the TCW3 mix.
    Don't confuse the oiling system with the fuel system. The LSX oiling system doesn't have anything to do with injectors/pumps et al therefore renders any comparisons moot.
    Think of the TCW3 as a long term cleaning solution....one that cleans the fueling system and the ring pack. Keep those clean and you see (rather quickly in some instances) better compression and a more efficient burn in the cylinder.
    I strongly disagree with your assessment of the TCW3 is just for lubrication.
    Fluidity, Cleaning of carbon and the ring packs are parts of the certification process for a oil to be certified TCW3. http://www.nmma.org/certification/programs/oils/
    A clean engine is a healthy engine works for both the sump and the fuel system. I would also ask/challenge folks to consider the viscosity of gasoline with and without the mix in it and comment. I think you will find benefits there also.

96 Dodge Ram 1500 sport

If it were noncombustible would you not see signs of liquid deposits in the tailpipe?

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

TCW3 burns almost completely.....

96 Dodge Ram 1500 sport

I was wondering where that feller got that it was non combustible.
    I thought any oil was if it was exposed to a high enough temperature or flame.

wineberry
    84 Honda GL 1200

observation

Sarge, I have been reading this post with interest for some time now, I was going to try using TCW-3 oil in my Honda Magna, then I ended up with a goldwing, and have not started using the 2 stroke oil in it yet.. but I do have a 2 stroke outboard motor which I use once or twice a week.... recently I ran in to a difficulty with the engine... discovered a greenish yellow liquid in the bottom of the tank that did not appear to be a petrochemical hydro-carbon, it was not miscible with the gasoline (did not mix), and was less dense than the gasoline, but like the gasoline, it had a low vapor prressure, and was flammable. I have since determined that this was the alchohol that was "blended" with the gas to make it "better". Doing some research I found some references to TCW-3 causing the blended fuel to breakdown....by my calculations if I used 10 percent gasohol then for every 5 gallons, there is one quart of alchohol.. I ended up after a month, maybe two months of using the same tank with approximately 1 pint of alchohol in the bottom of the tank. I live in SW florida, and the tank sat out in the sun for most of Aug and Sept.... which accelerates the process... wondering if you have any comments or information regarding this it is appreciated.

Capn

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Yup...the Ethanol breakdown story.....it does it with our without TCW3...this I know for sure....We know of this and have concluded it is not a issue of the TCW3 but a Ethanol issue all on it's own.....I am at a disadvantage here as we have no Ethanol anywhere around here.....so I have no first hand experience with it frankly and depend on others....
    We did have some other members who had the issue with and without TCW3...exact same results with the Ethanol....

wineberry
    84 Honda GL 1200

tcw-3 and ethonol

Well, til this happend I never even thought about it.... but when you only have a small tank....2.5 gal... then a pint is significant....LOL... anyway from now on I will only be using non gasohol in my dingy....don't like rowing against the tide....will be trying the oil/gas mix on my bike...gotta figure out a painless way to have the rite amount of oil for a fillup on the bike.... normal fill is just a tad over 4 gals.... so I will use the 1 oz/5gals you recommend..so I will get a container that is leakproof container to carry with me.... will let you know what i find out..

later
    capn

black
    Quote Originally Posted by capnfred View Post
    Well, til this happend I never even thought about it.... but when you only have a small tank....2.5 gal... then a pint is significant....LOL... anyway from now on I will only be using non gasohol in my dingy....don't like rowing against the tide....will be trying the oil/gas mix on my bike...gotta figure out a painless way to have the rite amount of oil for a fillup on the bike.... normal fill is just a tad over 4 gals.... so I will use the 1 oz/5gals you recommend..so I will get a container that is leakproof container to carry with me.... will let you know what i find out..

later
    capn
    i have been running 1oz/4gal of gas for a while truck like it better i have been using a lucas fuel injector cleaner bottle it holds 5.25oz and i marked off the oz on it works perfect

Hey All,

I found a link to this thread on another forums someplace and I'm definitely intrigued. It seems like a solid (and cheap!) idea for increasing longevity of the car. I drive a 08 Mazdaspeed3 with about 24k miles and I was wondering if there were any implications of doing this on my car. It's a far cry from an LSx... It's a 4cyl, DISI engine with a Turbo.

So the question is... any adverse affects to trying this on a car with DISI technology or a turbo?
    Thanks

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Nope...we run it in Supercharged/Turbo/N-A/Nitrous....4bangers/6/8/and many Vipers (12)...same results all positive and no negatives...

White
    2004 VY One Tonner LS1

I've made up a nice little 1L to 60L reference table with the amount of oil for every litre in between, so that helps greatly for small amounts (i rarely fill right up unless I'm going on a long trip)

I do have 1 little question.

How do i get the oil into the fuel tank hassle free.

I've been using a 30ml hospital syringe and it lasted three fuel stops (around 600km's) before the rubber perished and causes me to spill oil everywhere.

What are you guys using to dispense the oil into the tank?

Oh and even a few days of using the oil over long trips has seen easier starting .
    Its not much but its noticable

Quote Originally Posted by mjr_350 View Post
    I bought a long neck DuroLube bottle at the auto store. I just reuse the same bottle. I marked the fill line, and use a funnel to fill the bottle. Then I store a few in the trunk. No mess. No hassles. Easy.

Jake

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by mjr_350 View Post
    I've made up a nice little 1L to 60L reference table with the amount of oil for every litre in between, so that helps greatly for small amounts (i rarely fill right up unless I'm going on a long trip)

I do have 1 little question.

I've been using a 30ml hospital syringe and it lasted three fuel stops (around 600km's) before the rubber perished and causes me to spill oil everywhere.

What are you guys using to dispense the oil into the tank?

Oh and even a few days of using the oil over long trips has seen easier starting .
    Its not much but its noticable
    WalMart sells a baby bottle filler that is perfect.

2000 Camaro SS
    '02 Z28 parting-out

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    WalMart sells a baby bottle filler that is perfect.
    Pics?

I've been using a Sta-bil bottle and I don't like. It is the small bottle 8oz I think. I've been thinking about buying a bigger bottle of Sta-bil and trying it.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

When your in WalMart go to the "Baby Section"...you'll see them...

96 Dodge Ram 1500 sport

I use the big Sta-bil bottle and it works OK for me.

Pulse Red
    2004 GTO M6

I use a small plastic juice bottle, marketed at 2 oz increments. I just eyeball between there. So 1 oz is half way between marks, little more than a mark for half oz a little below for half the other way. I do not think this needs to be a very precise measure, especially since it is debatable the best mix. I am happy between 1 oz per 4.5-5.5 gallons. Next trip to Walmart though the baby bottle filler is on the list. My current bottle is 10 oz, so it is good for 3 fills. I would like something bigger like 16 oz. for road trips. But 2 bottles would due the same job I guess.

2000 Camaro SS
    '02 Z28 parting-out

Well I started putting the oil in my lawn mower first. The lawn mower is only 4 years old. After a few mowings (prob 16 hours) I noticed easier starts and a very smoother idle. And it runs smoother at cutting speed. The motor even sounds different. Dont know how to explain it but it sounds like it is running a lot better. Seems to get more yard mowed before needing filling up, but that may be as it gets later in the year the grass is easier to cut. I have been very impressed with the improvments.

After getting good results on the lawn mower, I started putting it in my DD ('89 GMC, stock). Before I put it in I pulled the number one spark plug. Looked at it, the point on the plug was clean but it did have some oil on the edges of it, and I took pics. I also put a cup of water on top of the motor and took a video with the truck running, to see how much it was shaking at idle. After 2,000 miles I pulled the number one plug again. It looks the same. Did the cup of water test and it is idleing smoother. The truck seems to start the same.

Impounded
    gmcheviac

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    Yup...the Ethanol breakdown story.....it does it with our without TCW3...this I know for sure....We know of this and have concluded it is not a issue of the TCW3 but a Ethanol issue all on it's own.....I am at a disadvantage here as we have no Ethanol anywhere around here.....so I have no first hand experience with it frankly and depend on others....
    We did have some other members who had the issue with and without TCW3...exact same results with the Ethanol....
    Where in Texas do you live to not have ethanol? My truck does not agree with it. Too lean from the factory then e10 leans it out just a little more. Plus gumming up the carb if it sits, or how it completely cleaned the tank out when I first got it, the area I bought it from didn't have ethanol

Page 35 of 58 FirstFirst ... 51531323334353637383955 ... LastLast

Thread Information