Nero
    2006 gto

A/C issues due to bad radiator replacement! 06 M6 GTO

So a couple of years ago my radiator shit the bed, flooding my parking space at work with coolant. Since I worked at the Irish automotive parts chain, I grabbed a new rad and drove 1/2 mile to a shop to replace it. We'll, they broke the AC line at the cannister on the front, and didn't tell me. Due to it being late September in RI, I didn't notice I had no AC until next summer, and that shop relocated 40 miles away. Fast forward a couple years, and I now have the cash to repair it. Got the new line, a new compressor, new cannister, and a few other misc parts. My question is, is it likely I need to replace the evap core as well? The line break is at the front-most part of the system, farthest from the evap core you can get. Another mechanic told me I could just dump a can of brake cleaner into the system then blow it all out with compressed air and it should be good. Don't want to risk flooding my cabin with R134 if the evap core is corroded out though. Lost my sense of smell due to brain damage 22 years ago, so I wouldn't realize it until I passed out doing 80 on the highway from the fumes. I'd rather not drop $3k on the whole ordeal for a shop to replace everything if possible, as I'm currently paying $5k for head gasket and coolant system repairs. Has anyone replaced their own evap core? Are there any tricks to it that would help if replacement was necessary? Thanks in advance for any help or pics!
    Last edited by PatrizioD; 06-04-2024 at 10:08 AM.

Thread Information