Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bright Rally Red
    2002 Camaro SS

Looks good! I think our cars look a lot cleaner with the molding off. I did mine a while back and have never regretted it.

Quote Originally Posted by 99'CajunFirehawk157 View Post
    Someone correct me and I am sure someone will, but if memory serves, the fenders and door are fiberglass are'nt they?
    The doors are fiberglass. So while they might not dent as easily, the paint will definitely chip. The molding is there to prevent chipping. The quarter panels are metal, not fiberglass.

Pewter
    2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by SAGGIN View Post
    I have a agree it looks a lot better. I only reason I won't remove mine is because I've seen that molding prevent door dings.
    +1
    I dont want to do it either since people tend to open thier doors hard in an attempt to mess your car up. they have no respect.:and I Why

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

Double park and park in the middle of nowhere its worth it

let the F-Bodies roll jimmybling31's Avatar

white
    94 camaro z28

on an older one it's irritating as hell to do it. I just did it last nite. it took me 4 hours to get the adhesive off the side of the car. and i tried 3 different adhesive removers to do it. I ended up getting blisters on my fingers from rolling it off. it didn't want to come off at all.

Onyx Black
    2002 SS

I did this mod last week and it took me about 30 minutes or so to get all of the molding off and another 45 to get the left on adhesive off. I started trying to remove it with the infamous thumb technique then went to the wifes finger nail polish remover. After that didn't work, went to Lowe's for some GooGone ($1.74) and it took the stuff off quicker than lighting.

2002 Onyx Black Camaro SS, m6, SLP Cold Air Induction, SLP Lid, K&N Air Filter, SLP 160 Stat, SLP MAF Type B, Y-Pipe Dual Cat, Out & Tip Exhaust, SFC, STCB, PHB w/HCA's, Rear Lower Skip Shift Harness, Hyper-Tech LS1 Power Programmer.

Bright Silver Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Nice job with the pics!
    2002 Silver Trans Am WS6
    Trans Am Nationals Heavy Modified Show Champion
    Great Lakes Regional Heavy Modified Show Champion
    http://community.webshots.com/user/silverbird43551
    http://thesilversurfer.phanfare.com

Black
    00 Trans Am/Auto

Quote Originally Posted by 99'CajunFirehawk157 View Post
    Someone correct me and I am sure someone will, but if memory serves, the fenders and door are fiberglass are'nt they?
    I think you're right. I have a little freyed area under the passenger door and appears to be fiberglass. I'm going to have that repaired next year when it goes in for touch up paint.

btw, I've also heard of guys using heavy fishing line tethered to a couple sticks etc to remove the moldings so as to get under the adhesive as much as possible.

I think I'm going to do it today but, I too am a little worried about door dings. I try to park on the back 40 as much as possible to avoid goobers parking next to me and whacking the hell out of my doors. Still some dip shits always want to park next to you for some stupid reason. Guess I should get a window sign that says: "Get the hell away from my car numb nuts"

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

I noticed on several cars (that aren't mine) that the dings tend to occur above the molding.

Pewter Metallic
    1999 Trans Am

nice write up, I keep going back and forth on doing this. Its not the dings my car is too low for the molding to offer any protection. dunno guess im just skurrred
    LS6 Engine swap, Custom Predator Tune, Lid, SLP Cold Air, Ram Air H.O. Hood, Hooker Long Tubes, !Cats, 3" True Duals w/Dynomax Bullets, Performabuilt stage 2 w/3600 stall, B&M Trans. Cooler, Moser 12 Bolt w/ 3.73's

Pics of my car
    http://community.webshots.com/user/demonspeed_ta

Black
    00 Trans Am/Auto

Yeah, got mine done today and wasn't as bad as I thought it was gonna be. Got some 30lb fishing leaders and looped them to two sticks and slid her down so-to-speak.

After the trim came off, I rolly pollied the 3M tape off and only got one thumb blister but, not too bad.

After all the big hunks were off, I used some of that bumper sticker remover in a can and sprayed it and then went over it with a still soapy wash mit. I then dried it with another soft cotton T-shirt so I could see where I missed and then went over it with a wet shammy and then followed up with some McGuires wax spray. Looks awesome.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information