NBM
    1999 Trans Am

header install question

i'm new here....i've been workin all weekend tryin to get my headers on....just the problem was tryin to get the manifolds off...i have a 99 trans am...i got the driverside manifold loose but couldn't get the cat off and the passenger side cat...which i broke one of the bolts off completely flesh to the flange...oops...so i ended up hookin everything back up...the question is...i have a buddy that has done it before that can help me...but i live like an hour away from F-Body Motorsports...which costs like $400 for them to do it...what and how should i do this?

Navy Blue Metallic (NBM)
    2002 Camaro SS

The dissassembly is the hardest part. Unless you plan on using the stock equipment again don't worry about breaking off the studs on the flanges (I broke 3 -1 on the driver side and 2 on the passenger side). They rust, they get fragile, they break... I used a long extension and just turned until the bolt came off or the stud broke... I also hit the bolts with penetrating oil and let them sit a while to work its way in ( and I still broke the studs)... It is par for the course.

Definately have someone help you! I could not imagine not having someone hold the new headers up while trying to get the gaskets in and start the damn header bolts... If you need to in the future you can always drill/tap, repair the stock manifolds... But that is whatever you want to do.

The wife, a friend, and I did the install in about a day (actually two because we started late and shut down for the night and finished it the next morning). The hardest part for us in the assembly/re-assembly was the ORY pipe. I finally got so frustrated I used a sawzall to cut the tail of the y-pipe to get the passenger side and driverside to fit together, we then went and got the whole thing welded together for $50.00...

Total install cost $65.00 (Coke, pizza, and getting the whole exhaust from collectors back welded)...

NBM
    1999 Trans Am

thanks for the info man....i ended up puttin everything back together on Sunday...i had the drivers side manifold unbolted, but stupid me didn't unbolt the cat from the manifold but unbolted the cat from the y-pipe...i haven't drove it since...just started it up and let it run to make sure i didn't have an exhaust leak...but i deff. will give it another try...i just didn't want to spend $400 to get someone to do it when i can get a friend to help me...plus the custom exhaust is goin to cost me around $400...if there is anything else that u think will help me...please post my way....thanks again

Navy Blue Metallic (NBM)
    2002 Camaro SS

Start from the bottom up and just take your time. Remove the O2 sensors (7/8 box wrench worked best) unbolt the y-pipe, then the cats, then the manifolds. Remove it all from underneath the car. It helps if you hit everything with penetrating oil, or something like that and then work on the O2 sensors. I actually used Break Free from my gun cleaning kit...

Taking off the passener side rear bolt and rear plug (or just the plug wire) is easiest from underneath the car after the cats are off. Remember to take your time and place bolts in plastic bags or tuperware containers and label them (if you need them again)... Our Pacesetters came with all new hardware, but we ended up droping a header bolt somewhere and never found it, but had the stockers on hand and ready to go.

Lock-tite for the header bolts when re-installing. Torque them from center out, take your time and give it two passes.

make sure you ahve extentions for your socket wrenches. Pre-assemble detail stuff like block off plates ( I got so exited about getting the headers on the car that I forgot to put the block off plate on the passenger side first and had to try to wiggle my big hands/arms into places they were never meant for...)

It helps if you have someone that has done it before, but it really is not that hard... Taking off the stock exhaust is the real PITA, check your new y-pipe fit before starting to put it on the car!

Most of all good luck!

NBM
    1999 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Azrael
    Start from the bottom up and just take your time. Remove the O2 sensors (7/8 box wrench worked best) unbolt the y-pipe, then the cats, then the manifolds. Remove it all from underneath the car. It helps if you hit everything with penetrating oil, or something like that and then work on the O2 sensors. I actually used Break Free from my gun cleaning kit...

Taking off the passener side rear bolt and rear plug (or just the plug wire) is easiest from underneath the car after the cats are off. Remember to take your time and place bolts in plastic bags or tuperware containers and label them (if you need them again)... Our Pacesetters came with all new hardware, but we ended up droping a header bolt somewhere and never found it, but had the stockers on hand and ready to go.

Lock-tite for the header bolts when re-installing. Torque them from center out, take your time and give it two passes.

make sure you ahve extentions for your socket wrenches. Pre-assemble detail stuff like block off plates ( I got so exited about getting the headers on the car that I forgot to put the block off plate on the passenger side first and had to try to wiggle my big hands/arms into places they were never meant for...)

It helps if you have someone that has done it before, but it really is not that hard... Taking off the stock exhaust is the real PITA, check your new y-pipe fit before starting to put it on the car!

Most of all good luck!
    i appreciate the info....i'll probably get a chance next weekend...it'll feel like forever b/c i really want to get these things on...thanks again

Thread Information