Slower Than a 3rd Gen juiced99ws6's Avatar

Mystic Teal
    99 Trans Am & 01 CBR 929

I need torque arm advise

Ok guys I currently have a Spohn Adj. Torque arm (http://www.lmperformance.com/1553/1.html) Today the mounting bracket at the rear end snapped in half on me and I had to tie up the torque arm to the axle and baby it all the way home in lunch hour traffic.

Anyways I have been looking at other torque arms for a replacement setup. I know the one I bought is one of the most expensive but I dont really want to spend another 400$ if I can get a cheaper alternative that works just as good. I really dont care about the Adj. aspect since I did not ever adjust mine in the 2 years I had it. It was just dialed in by a transmission shop and I left it alone. Also mine was crossmember mounted and I was wondering if mounting it there was that much better than the factory location.

Please Help me!! Oh and if you know of a good one for a good price please by all means link me to it.
    Last edited by juiced99ws6; 07-30-2007 at 09:59 AM.

pie
    free

First thing I'd do is call up Spohn and see if they will do something to take care of you.

Paid 2 Post Daycrew SexOnWheels's Avatar

Blood Red
    Z28

Agreed I assume Spohn will replace it for you for free!

Mystic Teal
    99 Trans Am & 01 CBR 929

I can try but I do not have a reciept or anything and it has been a pretty long time since I bought it. Almost 2 years.

Mystic Teal
    99 Trans Am & 01 CBR 929

they will not do anything about it because I have a 12 bolt rear end and they say the bolts will start to back out of the 12 bolt and will cause the torque arm to snap so I am back to spending the money lol. I am looking into the BMR none adjustable unit. Does anyone know if this one will do me any good? It seems like a good price and definatly looks like it tucks under the car a whole lot better that my spohn did anyways which will be better for daily driving since I have hit the Spohn on speed bumps numerous times.

BMR <---- http://www.lmperformance.com/4717/1.html

Blood Red
    Z28

Try the UMI TA then as Ryan would have replaced it regardless of the BS excuse of using a 12 bolt.

http://www.umiperformance.com/

Mystic Teal
    99 Trans Am & 01 CBR 929

thanks for the link. Here is a few pics of the aftermath. Spohn said there wasnt anything they could do but I wanna try and call them again and see if they cant send me the end piece that mounts to the rear end because in the pics I took it definatly looks like I can repair this torque arm.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

I can tell you right now if you get a BMR TA I know they won't take care of you if it happens again. They have that b/s disclaimer up about the 12 bolt as well because the bolts don't go all the way through a 12 bolt, you have to use the 4 smaller ones instead. I would probably look into the UMI TA. Sorry it happened to you
    CCW SP 500s 18x10 275/35 18x11 295/35
    SLP CME with GMMG style catback
    Painted manta stripe

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    I'd rather be bi than full homo!!!!

Mystic Teal
    99 Trans Am & 01 CBR 929

So UMIs customer service is really that much better than Spohn and BMR? that is some good information to have since I am about to not only purchase my torque arm again but also the rest of my rear suspension. I will let you all know what Spohn says about just letting me purchase the end bracket tomorrow. I am not holding my breath but I know if they are willing to work with me that I can keep this torque arm. It makes sense to me that if they did that for their customers that it would make there adjustable series worth more since the is a "common" problem and they have the ability to remedy the situation cheap and effectly if they so wish to do so.

Blood Red
    Z28

Quote Originally Posted by juiced99ws6 View Post
    So UMIs customer service is really that much better than Spohn and BMR? that is some good information to have since I am about to not only purchase my torque arm again but also the rest of my rear suspension. I will let you all know what Spohn says about just letting me purchase the end bracket tomorrow. I am not holding my breath but I know if they are willing to work with me that I can keep this torque arm. It makes sense to me that if they did that for their customers that it would make there adjustable series worth more since the is a "common" problem and they have the ability to remedy the situation cheap and effectly if they so wish to do so.

In a word Yes! Ryan is the owner and he will back up his products for life.

Allthough I have never seen a thread like this about UMI parts braking there is always a possibility...

I know he posts here sometimes I wish he would become a sponsor here....

Mystic Teal
    99 Trans Am & 01 CBR 929

I would definatly have taken yalls advise about the UMI torque arm and will look into them for the rest of my suspension pieces but I just got off the phone with Spohn again and I let them know I had there Chrome Moly Adjustable Torque Arm and asked me if they could sell me just the mounting bracket since it is only held on to the rest of the TA by two bolts and they were willing to do that. Whole thing only cost me 40 bucks and the car will be up and running again. Thanks for all your advise and I will take if for the rest of my stuff or if something else happens to this torque arm. I really did want to keep the Spohn anyways because of the fact that it is cross member mounted and doesnt add any stress to the transmission or transmission mount but I was not able to pay another 4-500$ for one.

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

right off of BMR's website

http://bmrfabrication.com/F-bodySuspension.htm

IMPORTANT NOTICE TO MOSER 12 BOLT USERS: This product is only warrantable on rear axles that utilize the factory style "through bolts" to connect the torque arm to the rear end. Moser 12 bolt rear ends utilize a threaded bolt hole that has been proven to have bolt retention issues when used with aftermarket torque arms. If you have this particular rear axle, understand this warranty disclaimer and still wish to use this product, keep in mind that lock washers, or Loctite brand thread sealants are not substitutes for periodic bolt inspection.
    Cold Air Intake, Muffler Delete, Vinci High Performance Dual Valve Springs, Hardened Pushrods, Yella Terra 1.85 Rockers, Some Hydropdipped Stuff, Strut Tower Brace, Some SS Badges, boost/vacuum gauge, fuel pressure gauge, some checkered stripes, drilled/slotted rotors, ZL1addons Stealth wickerbill, Ruxifey LED side markers

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

UMI says it fits. doesn't specify anything about a warranty issue

http://umiperformance.com/2206?category_id=45

ArtistFormerlyKnownAsMac Silver Streak's Avatar

All Black
    83, 87, 02 All WS6 T/As

I emailed UMI's sales about wanting to purchase a rear suspension, but had a few questions about my setup and what they had... That was Sunday morning and haven't heard back yet....
    -Geno
    1983 Black WS6 "WindCharger"
    1987 Black WS6 "WS87"
    2002 Black WS6 "Silver Streak"
    Sold the other four f-bodies

Blood Red
    Z28

Quote Originally Posted by KITTvsKARR View Post
    I emailed UMI's sales about wanting to purchase a rear suspension, but had a few questions about my setup and what they had... That was Sunday morning and haven't heard back yet....
    With the boom of UMi becomming one of the top players in suspension for our cars they have become very busy and it is hard to get through via e-mail like you could in the 'old days'.

I would call them for advise KvK!

ArtistFormerlyKnownAsMac Silver Streak's Avatar

All Black
    83, 87, 02 All WS6 T/As

He just got back to me.. told me most of what I wanted to know.. and suggested what to get.. I asked him a couple more questions.. once I hear back, I'm hitting the launch button.

Thread Information