quicky06

givin in on Nitrous

well ive been talked into nitrous by u guys so your goin to have to deal with my stupid questions. lol hj

my question is:

i have a 99 3.8 camaro, im pretty sure i need the 5175 kit from NOS, is this correct?

is this a dry shot? if it is what wet kit do i need? thanks

pushrods
    Hi seems like no one is responding...I'm new to the site and i don't have an LS1 motor but I do spry my LN2 75 wet. But in regards to your question that kit is a dry kit. and it will work on your car. I found the kit on summitracing.com. Is your car automatic or stick? Either way I would also recomend getting a window switch in adition to your wot switch that is included with your kit as well as another nitrous siliniod just to stay safe incase one of the siliniods sticks you wont pop your motor.

Hope this helps if you have anymore questions feel free to ask.
    Jeff

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Is this you? http://www.mysickcamaro.50megs.com/ J/k
    Will be soon though huh....I gave in (for lack of a better term) to the nitrous solution for my power adder.....all the misinformation and myths had me there for awhile Nitrous is safe and a wonderful power adder when installed and used properly....
    I think the first bridge to cross in selecting the correct setup is dry vs. wet.....
    From Nitrous.org..........
    Wet versus Dry

I'm sure you've heard the terms "wet kit" and "dry kit." Actually, let me start with a rant on the "kit" part. A kit is a bunch of nitrous components packaged together by any of the usual vendors, and sold as one item. Typically, these are completely devoid of safety devices, so that they can be sold at a cheap price. This is where the "$600 nitrous kit" idea comes from. While these are fine for getting lots of the basic parts, they are horrible from a safety perspective, and can easily damage your motor. Get the appropriate safety devices and add them to your kit, if you go that way. I'll be calling a complete setup a "system" here.

On to the wet and dry discussion. A "wet system" is a nitrous system which mixes nitrous and fuel, and feeds it (in a "fog") into the intake. A "dry system" only feeds nitrous into the intake, and tricks the existing fuel system to add the fuel. In an LS1 car, this is done via the MAF sensing the colder intake temperature as nitrous is fed through it. In an LT1 car, a dry system typically adds adds about 50 psi of pressure to the vacuum nipple of the stock fuel pressure regulator, increasing the fuel pressure to about 90 psi, and driving more fuel through (hopefully upgraded) fuel injectors via the muscle of the add-on fuel pump.

I believe and am now convinced both are "safe" when properly installed with the required safety components....Purge/Bottle Heater/WOT Switch/Window Switch and Fuel Pressure Safety Switch.....Also keeping your power shots within reason (75-150) and not running the shot for extended times ( say over 10-13 seconds) and your gonna have a blast.....I went the wet shot route....as I convinced myself this is the best setup for my particular car/habits.....

http://www.nitrousexpress.com/Pages/Home.htm
    This is my signature. It is mine. Nobody else has one like it.

Black
    97 Firebird

Quote Originally Posted by quicky06
    well ive been talked into nitrous by u guys so your goin to have to deal with my stupid questions. lol hj

my question is:

i have a 99 3.8 camaro, im pretty sure i need the 5175 kit from NOS, is this correct?

is this a dry shot? if it is what wet kit do i need? thanks

The 5175 kit from NOS is a dry setup. Many including James (12secv6) highly reccomend this kit to start with because of it's simplicity, the size of shot it comes with and all of the safety features that come with the kit. I know quite a few people who have run this kit for years without a single problem. I also use this kit. It comes with an 85 shot. It's nice because upgrading your fuel pump really isn't necissary with the 85 shot. The gains are great. With an open rear with 3.08's and only 600 psi in my bottle it dropped me to a 14.5 (at 2200 feet above sea level). That puts me running dead even with my buddies 97 LT1 TA. And that's with only 600 psi in the bottle vs. the recommended 950-1000psi. With supporting mods, intake, headers, caback, high flow cat, gears and good tires, you can take this kit deep into the 13's without upping the shot size.
    1997 Firebird 3.8L
    A4,WS6 Ram Air Hood, Edelbrock Catback, SLP CAI, 85 Dry Shot
    1981 Firebird Trans Am
    http://members.cardomain.com/dreaded_hope

quicky06
    yea ive pretty much decided on a wet kit with window switch, WOT, and fuel pressure switch.

most of it will be coming form HSW once i get the money togeathher which is hard because i also have 5 grand due in july so i can pay for college next year (Ranken Tech. AMT)

pushrods
    ^ cool keep us updated with progress.

quicky06
    well i (kinda unfortanitly) just recieved my part of my great uncles will. i didnt know him that well be he was kool. turns out hhe was loaded and left all of my cousins and i ALOT of money. so im thinking of goin C5r with my car instead

Thread Information