Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 160 thermo

Black
    2002 Camaro

I completely agree with the Sarge as I do with most topics that him and I post together on. I do however do not see much rong with going to the 180 Stat over the stock unit. However you must have your fans tuned to a lower temp for you to even take advantage of the stat. This also works the opisite.... If you have tuned your PCM for the fans to come on at like 180-190 then all they are really doing is chilling out the radiator wich is a bad thing when that 30-50 degree difference in tempature hits those nice thin aluminum heads. The best thing is for every component in your system to compliment and build upon eachother, and above all work together.
    However.... Even though I would prefer the 180 stat over stock I still run the stock unit for purpose of gas milage, and what the sarge previously stated. I do however have my fans come on at 200 instead of 212. This seems to keep my engine right at 195-205 range and my engine performs great under this.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

If you run your engine too cold you lose comprssion past your rings. Compression = power. 160 thermo is probaly too cold.

daveinsa
    I put the 160 in about 3 weeks ago and the temp gets to, about 205 and operates fine. I don't think that the 160 will keep the temps too low during normal daily driving.

It's running like a charm. Still trying to get used to lanching this thing though. Bought DR's and that's a little different. A whole new experience.

Dave

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Dave! Good to hear you got her running....did you ever find another tuner in our area?
    PM me if you feel better....I am looking to do some "other" stuff and would like a 2nd opinion myself....

Black
    02 Camaro SS

The stock stat is basically 180 degrees. One advantage to running a cooler thermostat is to lessen the chance of detonation, which is very helpful for those of us that spray or are boosted.

Sebring Silver
    98 Z28

the 160 is good down here in TX but up there (and i'm originally from boston) that is not a great idea all i can say is to WARM UP YOUR ENGINE BEFORE DRIVING in winter time and your heat willl suck too it will get really really warm but will take a long time to get hot. i've used the 160 stats up there and ended up switching out winter/summer stats.....now down here it's usually over 80 and in the 100's in the summer for months sometimes it dips below 40-50 so the 160 is fine and if it gets too cold i can just reset the fan to come on later so it stays a little hotter but no need to change the stat. my water temp usually reads 175-190 and i can totally feel the power being robbed as it gets hotter in vehicle temp or ambient air temp

Red
    2002 TransAm Firehawk

Wow, that was a great presentation by Sarge. Heck, who needs powerpoint. Anyway, I'm new to the site. Jumped in here because I had my water pump go out (i.e., leaking) on my 2002 Firehawk. I changed the water pump and thermostat and I could swear that the car runs hotter now (runs stable at 210 Deg. F). I think it used to run slightly below the 210 mark (i.e., middle of gauge). I was concerned so I got on this site to see if something was wrong with the thermostat I just installed. Based on Sarge's "Cooling 101" lecture it seems that everything is the way it should be. Is 210 Degrees the stock setting for an LS1?

Red
    2002 TransAm Firehawk

Should I reset the fans? Sarge, you mentioned you have yours kick in on high at 190 Degrees. Is that different from stock? Do I need a special programmer to reset the fan operating temperature(s)?

Thanks!

the 99-02 temp gauge is a dummy gauge, the only way to really see the temp change other than what your seeing is if its over heating, the only reason I'm running a 160 stat in my car here is because of my high compression and I want to stay away from detonation.

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

IMHO, stock stat is better. To reduce detonation chances, do the throttle body bypass to avoid heating up the incoming air so much.

99 Firebird Formula

I use a 160 degree thermo and always have. That doesn't mean that the temperature always stays at 160*, you guys know that, right? Most of the time my car is actually around 180-190, which is perfect imho.

Quote Originally Posted by GatorSS
    IMHO, stock stat is better. To reduce detonation chances, do the throttle body bypass to avoid heating up the incoming air so much.
    That's already been done too

Thread Information