Black
    2001 Trans Am

Need help with upgrades on sts

I am looking at purchasing a sts kit, and am trying to figure out what mods that come with the kit are worth the money. I am considering the GT67 ball bearing upgrade because from what i hear they spool up faster as well as they last longer. Is ball bearing that much better than journal bearing? I also plan on doin all the fuel uprgades the kit has to offer. I will be installing the turbo with all stock internals so whats the highest level of safe boost to run? I mainly hear 5psi with proper tuning (I plan on doing the Diablo Tune, which is also recommended by STS, not just Nelson). Also, what kind of gas mileage are you STS guys seeing with what upgrades and what boost level? My 01 T/A is my daily driver so safely running boost while on stock internals is my key concern. Thanks for any help you have to offer!

On the street I wouldn't run mmore than 5-6 psi. The GT67 upgrade is well worth it. I purchased the STS kit w/out the GT67 and then later swapped them out a noticed a large difference is the spool time. The upgrade is well worth it. If you have a 6 spd. definately purchase the 11 psi. BOV, 42 lb. injectors or slightly larger.

I am running the GT67 upgrade, 11psi. BOV, 42lb. injectors, 255 fuel pmp., stock LS6 motor in an 02 Z28, Nelson tuning, Borla y-pipe and gutted cats. (for more flow and better spool time) and putting 462HP @ the rear wheels @ 5 psi. and 511HP @ 8psi. Note that I only made two passes on the dyno at the 8 psi.

Gas mileage will drop slighty because of more fuel required but you can keep the drop to a minimum by driving conservatively but if your like me it's hard to!!!

Silver
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Well....I started with the STS kit and by the time I finished with my project the only thing you can recognize is the fact that the turbo is in the back. If I had to do it all over again I'd put the turbo up front. Dont get me wrong the STS kits are good but I went way beyond what they had planned their kits for and I'm having some issues with the oil in the turbo. I spoke with Rick quite a few times about the problem and it looks like the problem is the oil pump! It can't quite pump out the oil fast enough when I'm under heavy load. I am now looking at a Weldon Fluid Pump to see if that will help. I went with the 76mm turbo because I have the LS2 402 motor. I redid the entire fuel system because of the demand of the motor. But to answer your question I'd say if your car is a daily driver I would probably keep the boost at 5-7psi. You could actually get away with a little more if you run a methanol injection kit. I have one and swear by it! Can't get an intercooler to cool as well as that does! If you're planning on running the 5-6psi range I'd go ahead and upgrade the fuel pump and injectors. But....I'm afraid what is going to happen is you're going to run 5psi and love it so much you'll want more and more!!! Boost is like crack!!! Once you use it you want more....lol....and no I haven't used it....good luck with the build....oh yea...invest in the water shield and filter smock for the air filter. If you live where it rains then you dont want to be sucking water up.......

Arrest Me Red
    1997 Formula

I also got the adjustable boost controller, and I am glad I did. I can run a lower boost on the street, and higher at the track. It makes driveability a lot better, IMHO.

Black
    2001 Trans Am

Thanks for everyones help and advice everyone, it'll definately help me when it comes time to buying the kit, and cailey37, what exactly is the sequential methanol injection, no one i ask, i come from a town of imports, has any knowledge to give me.

Silver
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by MavrickCJH View Post
    Thanks for everyones help and advice everyone, it'll definately help me when it comes time to buying the kit, and cailey37, what exactly is the sequential methanol injection, no one i ask, i come from a town of imports, has any knowledge to give me.
    The methanol injection is used to cool the air charge into the intake. It's like an intercooler but it cools chemically. The good thing about it is you dont loose any boost like you would thru an intercooler. I plumbed mine thru the windshield washer reservoir......

Black
    2001 Trans Am

do you have to refill it or anything like that, i know it might sound reatrded but i have no knowledge on the subject

Silver
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by MavrickCJH View Post
    do you have to refill it or anything like that, i know it might sound reatrded but i have no knowledge on the subject
    yes....you mix it 50/50 with water and it only comes on under boost......you can pick it up anywhere they sell race fuels....

White
    '10 ZR1

Nice info guys!

Black
    2001 Trans Am

well i am not lookin to go cheap on this kit and if methanol helps out that much i will definately go with it

Black
    2001 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by OreoLt1 View Post
    On the street I wouldn't run mmore than 5-6 psi. The GT67 upgrade is well worth it. I purchased the STS kit w/out the GT67 and then later swapped them out a noticed a large difference is the spool time. The upgrade is well worth it. If you have a 6 spd. definately purchase the 11 psi. BOV, 42 lb. injectors or slightly larger.

I am running the GT67 upgrade, 11psi. BOV, 42lb. injectors, 255 fuel pmp., stock LS6 motor in an 02 Z28, Nelson tuning, Borla y-pipe and gutted cats. (for more flow and better spool time) and putting 462HP @ the rear wheels @ 5 psi. and 511HP @ 8psi. Note that I only made two passes on the dyno at the 8 psi.

Gas mileage will drop slighty because of more fuel required but you can keep the drop to a minimum by driving conservatively but if your like me it's hard to!!!
    How much did your kit wind up costing you altogether? Jus the sts, not like the borla or the gutted cats

Ross

Black
    2001 Camaro z28

I bet you would notice a massive decrease in gas milage, because you would be pounding on it every chance you get.

Gas mileage is a problem if your under boost/on it all the time but if you drive normally it doesn't decrease as bad as you would think. I think when I purchased the STS with all the upgrades it was around 4200. I ordered it from tbyrne.com.

Tbyrne.com is also having a 10yr. Anniv. Sale on all their items so it's worth checking out!!!

Thread Information