Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Red
    '97 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by sh2002 View Post
    Just installed a pair of the Infinity 62.7 speakers in the doors of my 02 SS and they worked out great. I'm glad I found this post before I bought some other speakers.

Has anyone used the same speakers for the rear seat panels and just not hooked up the tweeter terminals?

Steve
    there is no reason you would want to...they don't even play midrange -- just bass freqs.... spent less on a cheap coaxial if you want to do that -- or spend about the same on some nice midbass speakers......... surf the stickies and you'll see the eu700 option

LT's, 3400 stall, FIPK,CB
    2002 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by fredmr85 View Post
    there is no reason you would want to...they don't even play midrange -- just bass freqs.... spent less on a cheap coaxial if you want to do that -- or spend about the same on some nice midbass speakers......... surf the stickies and you'll see the eu700 option

I have them in the sailpanel too... I ran the rear hatch speaker wires to the sailpanel to give me highs. Sounds great with a seperate sub and amp. Without a subwoofer in the car the highs would be too much, but with the subs it evens out the sound. They fit in the sailpanel also, but you need to cover up the square cutout under the speaker opening, I used sound deadening. I also set the fader to +2 front and pointed the 62.7i's in the sailpanel toward each other. With my kenwood hu, I set it up to cut some of the highs.
    Last edited by rotwiler; 09-07-2007 at 03:33 AM.

Thumbs up Infinity

Just Installed my 62.7's yesterday! Awesome! Thanks for the write up!

2002 Z28

A reminder to anyone reading this, This is for the Camaro with the monsoon option. I have no idea if the verts have the same setup. The T/A's(Pontiac cars) have seperates in the doors...you could use the 62.7i, but for woofer only and leave the tweeter off..or run the tweeter wire down the the 62.7i, but the factory setup where the tweeter is located would seem a better location to me. Infinity also makes seperates that would work, but I don't own a Pontiac f body and can't suggest what is best since I never installed any in one.

Try this site

http://www.millionbuy.com/inf627i.html

Good speaker prices. 62.7's for $69.

Can someone clarify. 62.7's can directly replace the factory monsoon door speakers and the impedence difference does not effect performance and they play good and loud? What is the deal with mid panel speakers on a '00 convertible? Are they coax or just subs and are they amplified as well? I read they are free airs. What would match the 62.7's in the mid panels? Something cheaper I suppose and shallow mounting depth. Maybe these for $45?

http://www.millionbuy.com/inf6012i.html

Should I bother saving the monsoon head unit and amps, or shit can the whole system for a nice head unit and 4 channel amp (both of which I have)using these 4 speakers? I am also thinking of using my Infinity BassLink instaled on the passenger side rear floor for the bass installed for quick in and out if necesary.

Thanks

SILVER
    1999 CAMARO SS

Great write up, it is painless and easy. i will be doing mine this weekend.
    Whisper Lid/SLP HarmonicBalancer/MAFTranslator/DiabloTuner A-Pillar Gauges (Aem Uego A/F,Trans Temp, D-Pic)Magnaflow CB w/CME Tips/ Eibach Pro Kit/ Brembo Cross Drilled/Slotted Rotors/ H.I.D.Kit

Junior Member 2001SSCamaro#2516's Avatar

Black
    2001 SS Camaro

Installed my speakers

Thanks for the write up. These speakers were easy to install and fit perfect.
    For some reason, they are a bit under powered on my system (Monsoon). I have to change the fader to power the front speakers more (3/4) to hear them properly. They sound great that way, but why are they quieter than the rear speakers now? The install was done exactly like the posted instructions. Tweaters turned all the way up and pointed to the shifter.

ORLY? Mine actually OVERPOWER the other speakers.

Sebring Silver
    2002 SS (SLP)

Any real difference in the Kappa Series 62.7i and the Reference Series 6022i ?
    All the stores around here seem to carry the Reference Series, which are still 2 ohm speakers but with slightly different specs (180 Watts peak, 60 Watts RMS vs. 225 Watts peak, 75 Watts RMS) (53-21K Hz vs. 45-25K Hz).

Any firsthand experience out there?

SOM
    02 SS

This may be a stupid question, but will it be obvious on the speaker which wires are which? I just ordered a set, and will (depending on how fast the speakers get here) be replacing them next weekend so they aren't sitting in front of me.

Sebring Silver
    2002 SS (SLP)

Quote Originally Posted by Boefa*Deez View Post
    This may be a stupid question, but will it be obvious on the speaker which wires are which? I just ordered a set, and will (depending on how fast the speakers get here) be replacing them next weekend so they aren't sitting in front of me.
    Afrtemarket speakers: yes
    Factory speakers: no

If in doubt, use method in post #47

Sebring Silver
    2002 SS (SLP)

Quote Originally Posted by earlywheels View Post
    Any real difference in the Kappa Series 62.7i and the Reference Series 6022i ?
    All the stores around here seem to carry the Reference Series, which are still 2 ohm speakers but with slightly different specs (180 Watts peak, 60 Watts RMS vs. 225 Watts peak, 75 Watts RMS) (53-21K Hz vs. 45-25K Hz).

Any firsthand experience out there?
    ANYBODY?

SOM
    02 SS

Quote Originally Posted by earlywheels View Post
    Afrtemarket speakers: yes
    Factory speakers: no

If in doubt, use method in post #47
    You can tell once you get the speaker out which is which, just mark the wires (in the door and the speaker) beforehand. Then you can see through the foam/screen/whatever where the tweeter wires come through the dome.
    Last edited by Boefa*Deez; 12-14-2007 at 05:52 PM. Reason: New info

2002 Z28

late post, but the Kappa is 2ohm dual input and Reference is 4ohm single input, you want the dual input 2 ohm for best results. The 62.7i's should not sound overpowered by the rear speakers, if so, something is wrong. I couldn't even tell I had rear speakers once I added the 62.7i's to the doors. Might be the + and - is crossed.

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

hear is a dumb question

what would happen, or what is the worst thing that can happen, if you cross + and - ?

Red
    '97 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by kool-aide View Post
    hear is a dumb question

what would happen, or what is the worst thing that can happen, if you cross + and - ?
    In general - nothing, as long as the opposite side has +/- reversed as well. If only one is reversed - there might be some phasing issues and cancellation of certain frequencies (due to being 180 degrees out of phase). Observing the direction of the cone movement of a midbass speaker will help you determine proper orientation. If you are still unsure, flip it and see if it sounds any better or worse. If you still can't tell, then don't worry about it - it is not going to hurt the speakers.

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by fredmr85 View Post
    In general - nothing, as long as the opposite side has +/- reversed as well. If only one is reversed - there might be some phasing issues and cancellation of certain frequencies (due to being 180 degrees out of phase). Observing the direction of the cone movement of a midbass speaker will help you determine proper orientation. If you are still unsure, flip it and see if it sounds any better or worse. If you still can't tell, then don't worry about it - it is not going to hurt the speakers.
    ah. well i guess i should break, down, bust out the wire diagram, and get them wire right.

when i bought the car all but one speaker was blown, lol.

I took a real cheap ass trip to Waly-World and wired up a new set. I didn't have the radio wire layout then, so i just made my best guess and have been listening to it for about a year now. Heck I can't freakin tell the difference.

the only thing I ever noticed was the rear hatch speakers seem to be the loudest and the rear seat mids are quiet. But the bass is not really that bad, enough to rattle stuff from time to time.

I'm sure I have one or more wired wrong, lol...

Red
    '97 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by kool-aide View Post
    the only thing I ever noticed was the rear hatch speakers seem to be the loudest and the rear seat mids are quiet.
    That seems correct/typical.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS

Great write up. I just installed a pair of Infinity 62.7i's in my doors yesterday and it was a breeze. From start to finish the job took a little over an hour and I took my time. The sound quality is definitely improved over my blown stock speakers!

Once the eu-700's are back in stock at Elemental Designs, I have two that are going to ship to me and they should really compliment the newly brightened mids and highs.
    2002 Camaro SS M6, 2.5 PRC 5.3L heads, TFS 228/230 cam, FAST 92, bolt ons + a 10 lb bottle in the back.

1989 Corvette L98, A4, Full bolt ons, etc.

Junior Member 2001SSCamaro#2516's Avatar

Black
    2001 SS Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by 2001SSCamaro#2516 View Post
    Thanks for the write up. These speakers were easy to install and fit perfect.
    For some reason, they are a bit under powered on my system (Monsoon). I have to change the fader to power the front speakers more (3/4) to hear them properly. They sound great that way, but why are they quieter than the rear speakers now? The install was done exactly like the posted instructions. Tweaters turned all the way up and pointed to the shifter.
    GUESS ITS TIME FOR ME TO TEAR OFF THE DOOR PANELS AGAIN AND SEE WHAT'S UP. I THOUGHT I WAS VERY CAREFUL ABOUT WIRING EVERYTHING THE SAME AS IT WAS STOCK, BUT WHO KNOWS. I THINK NOW MY REAR SPEAKERS ARE GOING AS WELL. GOTTA FIX THE FRONT FIRST.... I GOT A GOOD DEAL ON THESE SPEAKERS AND WAS WORRIED THEY MIGHT BE DEFECTS. THEY WERE NEW IN THE BOX AND NOT REFURBISHED ACCORDING TO THE SELLER. WHO KNOWS.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information