Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Bump!!

+1 for getting these speakers. Man.. the sound overpowers the lows, now. I need a damn sub!

Red
    '97 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by MasterEvilAce View Post
    Bump!!

+1 for getting these speakers. Man.. the sound overpowers the lows, now. I need a damn sub!
    No need to bump the sticky

Yea they are really bright -- mostly because Infinity speakers are brighter in general, and the tweeter is 2 ohms where the stock tweeter is 4 ohms.

pewter
    1999 Z28

i've been looking around for replacement door speakers for my '99 Z28 w/monsoon. I notice that that these speakers seem to be a favorite choice, with their dual inputs. But Crutchfield.com says they "do not fit" and suggest a bunch of single input 6.5" door speakers, and then they note "you will only get bass response from these speakers with the stock system" and they reccommend replacing the stock head unit! Weird.

Red
    '97 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by ZedTwoEight View Post
    i've been looking around for replacement door speakers for my '99 Z28 w/monsoon. I notice that that these speakers seem to be a favorite choice, with their dual inputs. But Crutchfield.com says they "do not fit" and suggest a bunch of single input 6.5" door speakers, and then they note "you will only get bass response from these speakers with the stock system" and they reccommend replacing the stock head unit! Weird.
    Sounds like they were referring to when you install these speakers in the SAIL PANEL locations -- the doors, you are fine at.

red
    2002 Camaro SS LE

Hey, thanks for the write up - and the link to the door removal. It inspired me do the upgrade which I finished earlier this evening.

I did one thing different, however. After determining which wire pair were the tweeter, and then labeling them, I un-soldered the speaker wires outright. Then, soldering them to the Infinity's, I was able to retain the factory harness, unmodified.

If you're like me and you keep every original part that you modfiy or replace, make sure that you mark "+" and "-" on the Delco speakers, because (at least on mine) there were no indications of the polarity on them.

Stuart
    35th SS LE #C063
    Washington state

Red
    '97 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by sl63409 View Post
    If you're like me and you keep every original part that you modfiy or replace, make sure that you mark "+" and "-" on the Delco speakers, because (at least
    In the event you are ever unsure of polarity, use a 1.5V battery. Connect each end to one of the speakers terminals -- if the cone moves outward, then the positive end of the battery attached is touching the positive terminal of the speaker -- if it moves in, the positive battery terminal is touching the negative speaker terminal.

Even Bandit Is Jealous mpunklil's Avatar

Black
    2004 Cadillac CTS-V

this only works for the speaker, not amplifier polarity.

Red
    '97 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by mpunklil View Post
    this only works for the speaker, not amplifier polarity.
    obviously.......thanks?

Even Bandit Is Jealous mpunklil's Avatar

Black
    2004 Cadillac CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by fredmr85 View Post
    obviously.......thanks?
    nice attitude, simply clarifying for everybody else who DOESNT know this

Red
    '97 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by mpunklil View Post
    nice attitude, simply clarifying for everybody else who DOESNT know this
    wasn't supposed to be attitude; seemed like you were saying I was saying it was for amps or something.. -- and just...well, I wasn't sure what you were attempting to clarify -- how does testing speaker polarity have ANYTHING to do with amplifier's? How could anyone putting a 1.5V battery to a speaker and observing cone movement even think that somehow relates to amplifiers? ....what I said there doesn't even make sense actually - sorry I'm just not sure at ALL what you were getting at since one would never have to test amplifier "polarity"...

Blue
    2000 Camaro Z28

I just installed my Infinity Kappa 62.7i's last night, using the directions from this article and the power window motor replacement guide on shbox.com. The speakers sound great! I have the treble up all the way because it sure is hard to get good highs from that location low on the door. Anyway just wanted to say thanks for all the great info in this article!

pewter
    1999 SS Camaro

Hello everyone.I just bought a pair of Pioneer door speakers 6.5.I have the Monsoon system in my 99 ss.The pioneer only has one set of terminals to connect to and their are two on my stock speakers.I have very little stereo experience.Help Please. Thanks.Lanny

Red
    '97 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by lanny View Post
    Hello everyone.I just bought a pair of Pioneer door speakers 6.5.I have the Monsoon system in my 99 ss.The pioneer only has one set of terminals to connect to and their are two on my stock speakers.I have very little stereo experience.Help Please. Thanks.Lanny
    Start a new thread if this doesn't answer you question:

You could do any of the following:

- wire directly to an aftermarket HU or amp (best sounding)

- modify the speaker to act as a "component" set (most difficult and you deface your new speaker)

- use just one pair of wires (easiest option...but won't be as powerful)
    --when using one pair, try one pair then the other and use the one that sounds the best... in Camaros, the tweeter signal at the tweeters in the doors is HP filtered from the Monsoon amp -- so the mid/woofer wires would be the better choice since they receive a full signal (the woofer wires also receive more power).

pewter
    1999 SS Camaro

Thank you

LT's, 3400 stall, FIPK,CB
    2002 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by ZedTwoEight View Post

Reason Crutchfields says this, is that if you use the crossover supplied with the 62.7i's then you go back to a single input, since they are made to be a single input type setup. Unless you just use the crossover for the lows and wire the tweeters seperate which some people do(I didn't use the crossover). Since our Camaro's have a crossover built into the monsoon amp everything is all good. The tweeter on the 62.7i has a seperate crossover built in. No matter what they say, these are the best direct replacement speaker made for the Camaro.

Red
    '97 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by rotwiler View Post
    Reason Crutchfields says this, is that if you use the crossover supplied with the 62.7i's then you go back to a single input, since they are made to be a single input type setup. Unless you just use the crossover for the lows and wire the tweeters seperate which some people do(I didn't use the crossover). Since our Camaro's have a crossover built into the monsoon amp everything is all good. The tweeter on the 62.7i has a seperate crossover built in. No matter what they say, these are the best direct replacement speaker made for the Camaro.
    Still doesn't make sense they say you will only get bass -- since if you were using only one pair of wires, the tweeter wires would only give you higher freqs. while the woofer wires are unfiltered... -either way, you get more than bass

agreed though - best replacement for OEM speakers

Just bought a Trans-Am this weekend, and after reading this thread I'm now confused as to what size of speakers are in the rear hatch area and what size are in the back passenger seat area? Thanks

-Chad

Red
    '97 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by chad3113 View Post
    Just bought a Trans-Am this weekend, and after reading this thread I'm now confused as to what size of speakers are in the rear hatch area and what size are in the back passenger seat area? Thanks

-Chad
    6.5S (6.5" of 6.75") for doors/sails

4" round for hatch

-you have components in both locations

LT's, 3400 stall, FIPK,CB
    2002 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by fredmr85 View Post
    Still doesn't make sense they say you will only get bass -- since if you were using only one pair of wires, the tweeter wires would only give you higher freqs. while the woofer wires are unfiltered... -either way, you get more than bass

agreed though - best replacement for OEM speakers
    They may be assuming that the Camaro and T/A have the same setup. Is a odd setup with a single speaker and 2 connections on our cars.. Most car audio shops even think the newer Camaro still has the Bose setup, I can only imagine how many people have been ripped off buying useless special adaptors when not needed.

Red
    2002 Camaro SS

Thumbs up

Just installed a pair of the Infinity 62.7 speakers in the doors of my 02 SS and they worked out great. I'm glad I found this post before I bought some other speakers.

Has anyone used the same speakers for the rear seat panels and just not hooked up the tweeter terminals?

Steve

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information