View Poll Results: Does the Strut tower brace really do anything?

Voters
184. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

145 78.80%
  • no

39 21.20%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by GottaHaveLS1 View Post
    I didn't really notice anything... but it's my only suspension mod. I can't wait to get the SFC's installed.
    I honestly couldnt see anyone noticing a difference.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Its an appearance mod IMO, doesn't do anything noticeably for handling.
    CCW SP 500s 18x10 275/35 18x11 295/35
    SLP CME with GMMG style catback
    Painted manta stripe

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    I'd rather be bi than full homo!!!!

SUNSET ORANGE
    2001 PONTIAC TRANS AM WS6

Im lovin it.

I out turned a cobra in an "S" curve at 75mph. I looked behind me and he almost went into the bushes.
    Last edited by 2001somws6; 11-21-2006 at 02:15 PM.

If anyone is looking for a pair of subframe connectors or driveshaft loop join our GP! http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33711

I got the SFC and tower brace bar, they work like a charm..
    and for the ultimate visual effect and cornering happiness, in addition to the above, get the eibach pro kit srpings, 1.25'' lowering gets to 1.75'' after it settles. and if you do that you'd be all set. also if you do the lowering watch out for the headers/y pipe mods since they eat into the ground clearance another 0.5'' so get blistein shocks because u don't want to bottom out.
    the stock shocks should start becoming obsolete at 50k+ anyways...

White red
    98 SS 17 Grand Sport

They are worthless. They are more of an appearance mod. I auto x my SS probably more than any one on this board and I couldnt tell the difference with it on or off.

triple-black
    2000 CamaroSS convertible

Quote Originally Posted by TOO Z MAXX View Post
    They are worthless. They are more of an appearance mod. I auto x my SS probably more than any one on this board and I couldnt tell the difference with it on or off.
    Eugenio_SS
    almost stock triple-black 2000 SS convertible with 17x11s on all 4 w/ 315s at the track or on the street with 18x10.5s on all 4 w/ 315s: (1), (2)

it depends,, not all f-bodys are created equal. on mine I felt a little difference like cornering at higher speed, especially on A4., but most difference I felt on SFC's and lowering it 1.5''

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Has anyone ever read or come across an actual comparison/test that someone did trying to see if there is an actual difference or not?

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

I have one on my car. I can't say I noticed a difference in everyday driving, but when taking turns hard, especially on banked turns and such, it definitely helps keep the car more planted to the road.

I look at it this way - the stiffer the chassis, the better. So even if its just keeping the chassis from flexing those few extra millimeters, its worth it to me. Its also nice when you have to jack up the car at one corner, and you know there is that extra structural reenforcement to help prevent the chassis from flexing too much

White red
    98 SS 17 Grand Sport

Quote Originally Posted by djvaly View Post
    it depends,, not all f-bodys are created equal. on mine I felt a little difference like cornering at higher speed, especially on A4., but most difference I felt on SFC's and lowering it 1.5''
    You are not kidding, seems like every Fbod has its own quirks and personality. I have auto x 5 different LS1 Fbods, all with different mods. Some were real smooth and did well and some felt like they were going to rattle apart, but were very fast.
    I auto x my car at a place that has a flat concrete surface and the grip is amazing. We hit speeds close to 100 mph on some courses. I also run the Hoosier A6 315's r compound tires front and rear. What I am trying to say is my car has seen about as much abuse and grip most any f body will see and I just couldnt tell a difference with it or with out it. They do look cool and are a nice arm rest while working on the var though.

triple-black
    2000 CamaroSS convertible

You are not kidding, seems like every Fbod has its own quirks and personality. I have auto x 5 different LS1 Fbods, all with different mods. Some were real smooth and did well and some felt like they were going to rattle apart, but were very fast.
    I auto x my car at a place that has a flat concrete surface and the grip is amazing. We hit speeds close to 100 mph on some courses. I also run the Hoosier A6 315's r compound tires front and rear. What I am trying to say is my car has seen about as much abuse and grip most any f body will see and I just couldnt tell a difference with it or with out it. They do look cool and are a nice arm rest while working on the var though.
    I even did a few sessions of lapping same day, afew with and without... and no differences in the times.

white
    00 WS6 Trans Am

adds weight to the front end and IMO it's an appearance mod. Looks good, but thats about it on my car. I took it off and I think I might mount it to the garage ceiling as a pull up bar.

it cost $100 bucks and installs in 15-20 minutes.. if u don't like it after, it's not a huge loss, it can only help under certain conditions like type of suspension (shocks + springs) u have, tires you have, your driving habbits.. like if u are agressive on curbs and corners, it does help keep the front tight. u may not feel it but there's definetly a less body roll. the car will feel it mostly, it depends on the driver, after a while u get used to it and it doesn't feel different to a driver..
    I'd say it is a good investment better than the freaking Hypertech Prog3, or the gratenelli MAF.
    what a waste of my money.. $400 all together for 5 horse power,, maybe..

Red
    98 Trans Am

I would go with the "every little bit counts" phrase, even though I hate to say it. A street car won't benifit as much as a more race orientated car would mostly cause your not not pushing the envelope as hard. Besides, a roll cage will give you the ultimate on rails feeling if you want to go that route. A little extreme for me, but for some of our more "i wanna go fast" people out there, it should be just fine.

Blog Entries

09 EclipseGT 75 Chevy 4x4
    2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua.Grooms View Post
    I would go with the "every little bit counts" phrase, even though I hate to say it. A street car won't benifit as much as a more race orientated car would mostly cause your not not pushing the envelope as hard. Besides, a roll cage will give you the ultimate on rails feeling if you want to go that route. A little extreme for me, but for some of our more "i wanna go fast" people out there, it should be just fine.
    One day I do plan on doing a cage if I keep this car that long and by then I hope it won't be my daily driver anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Black Trans-Am View Post
    One day I do plan on doing a cage if I keep this car that long and by then I hope it won't be my daily driver anymore.
    +1, me too

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

A STB does help some. It stifens up the shock (strut) towers which allows the car to keep straight over uneven pavement and it does tighten up the front end some. Improvements will vary depending on what brand and type you get.

2000 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 A4 - Light Pewter Metallic
    Direct Flo lid, SLP Loudmouth, Bassani Offroad Y-Pipe, BMR strut tower brace, BMR subframe connectors, shift points tune and !EGR

2011 Kia Forte EX A6 Sportmatic - Titanium Silver Metallic

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

I look at it like this:

Even if I can't feel a noticeable difference, a stiffer chassis and more support is always a good thing anyway

Black
    2001 Trans-AM WS6

I would never cage a daily driver.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information