Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by timowen1 View Post
    Gm. advertised WS6 at 325 HP and the non WS6 at 310 in 2001 and 2002. I may be old and never learned the "new" math taught in school today but 325 minus 310 was 15. At least 35 years ago it was
    Uhh boy. GM underrates these cars. Fact is they all (stripped down Z or WS6 or Vette) have about 350hp. They underrate the WS6 and they underrate the Z even more. Use your math to figure out how a car (Z28) will put down 300hp to the rear wheels but only have 310 at the flywheel. Jeez, this is old news. If you believe what GM says about em why did they rate the 1/4 mile times the same for a Z and a WS6? They said 13.9et for both. Shouldn't the WS6 be faster with that extra 15 hp?

Black
    02 WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
    Uhh boy. GM underrates these cars. Fact is they all (stripped down Z or WS6 or Vette) have about 350hp. They underrate the WS6 and they underrate the Z even more. Use your math to figure out how a car (Z28) will put down 300hp to the rear wheels but only have 310 at the flywheel. Jeez, this is old news. If you believe what GM says about em why did they rate the 1/4 mile times the same for a Z and a WS6? They said 13.9et for both. Shouldn't the WS6 be faster with that extra 15 hp?
    so why is it I pulled a 13.75 @ 104 in my 98 Z with all-weathers and 2.73s when I added the weight of SFCs and STB but my only functional mods were a descreened MAF, EGR tube cut-off, lid, Free Ram Air and K&N!
    THEN: 98 Z28 A4 2.73 FRA STB SFCs LCA Relocators Lowering Springs DAPHR SLP Bilsteins Descr. MAF EGRCut-off Lid Eradispeeds - Daily Driver includ. 3 yrs on the German Autobahn!

NOW: '02 WS6 M6 LOTB BMR STB, SLP bolt-in SFCs, !spare/jack, SLP lid, Battery Relocation

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by Raven98Z28 View Post
    so why is it I pulled a 13.75 @ 104 in my 98 Z with all-weathers and 2.73s when I added the weight of SFCs and STB but my only functional mods were a descreened MAF, EGR tube cut-off, lid, Free Ram Air and K&N!
    cuz your slow? http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=508096
    Last edited by INMY01TA; 06-26-2006 at 06:13 PM.

Black
    02 WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by INMY01TA View Post
    cuz your slow?

don't you have another thread to troll?

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by Raven98Z28 View Post

don't you have another thread to troll?
    You started with all the , dont start nothin wont be nothin yo.

Scooch
    what size weatherstripping are you guys using to seal the hood to the lid? Cause im gonna do it!

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

This thread has much funny.

soon to be T.A. owner

im thinkin inmy01ta is a different breed of cat if u know what i meen... im talkin about the whole k&n thing.. but imma keep my mouth shut

SOM
    2002 Formula Firehawk

Quote Originally Posted by Scooch View Post
    what size weatherstripping are you guys using to seal the hood to the lid? Cause im gonna do it!
    I went to Home Depot and picked up some 3/8" automotive weather strip (I think a 4 foot roll) and installed around the hood opening; I checked the seal fit by opening the headlights and you can see it seal between the hood and the air box, also after installing the foam tape strip, you can hear a sucking sound now from the ram air hood opening that you could not hear before the tape was installed. Although my car is a Firehawk not a WS-6 you could do the same (open head lights) and see how much clearence there is between the hood and the front of the air box opening and judge the space between them and pick up the size you need. Hope this helps... Oh, I also installed a Holley Powershot (less cost than a K&N) resuable air filter, and I like how it fits as complaired a K&N filter also w/o the use of grease like the K&N requires.

Ratdaddy07
    And if you look at the dino from the cars bone stock any Ls1 will make more than either of those figures(at the motor). Gmhightechperformance says they are all closer to 350. GM did not want to advertise a 30K car had the same HP as theor own 45K vette, this is nothing new companies have been doing it since muscle cars first hit the street. But like most of these arguments, all is made clear at the light.

soon to be T.A. owner

ya brians right on that one.. IMO the trans am looks alot better tahn that model vette

Scooch
    Quote Originally Posted by my1973form View Post
    I went to Home Depot and picked up some 3/8" automotive weather strip (I think a 4 foot roll) and installed around the hood opening; I checked the seal fit by opening the headlights and you can see it seal between the hood and the air box, also after installing the foam tape strip, you can hear a sucking sound now from the ram air hood opening that you could not hear before the tape was installed. Although my car is a Firehawk not a WS-6 you could do the same (open head lights) and see how much clearence there is between the hood and the front of the air box opening and judge the space between them and pick up the size you need. Hope this helps... Oh, I also installed a Holley Powershot (less cost than a K&N) resuable air filter, and I like how it fits as complaired a K&N filter also w/o the use of grease like the K&N requires.

Hmmm, its looks like its about 1 1/2" on the ws6 hood. Im going to home depot this weekend if not sooner. Thanks for the tip!

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by my1973form View Post
    Can you post up some pics if you get a chance??

I'd like to see this setup

Black SVT & Silver WS6
    2003 SVT Cobra & 2002 WS6

i'd like to see some pics.....
    No replacement for displacement.

Click for full size

SOM
    2002 Formula Firehawk

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    Can you post up some pics if you get a chance??

I'd like to see this setup

Sure I'll try but it will be a few days or a week? as I work 12 hour days and I have the dreaded dial-up at home, and yesterday the fuel pump on the '98 Chev PU (daily driver) took it's last squirt, list price from dealership was $570.

Orig Regist: 9/98

Black
    1998 Trans Am WS6 'Vert

C&D tested a '99 SS 'vert 6M and a '99 30th T/A WS6 'vert 6M, same day, same track, same drivers. The 1/4-mi and 0-60 times were indistinguisable between the 2 cars, BUT the SS topped out at 158MPH while the WS6 hit the speed limiter at 162MPH. They both have "ram air" (or "cold air", whatever you want to call it), but these track results tell me that the WS6 intake is a tad more efficient at these high speeds, than the SS w/ it's intake located further back on the hood and longer tract to the air filter.

Is the "ram air hood really functional"? Yes, BUT.........

1) The primary benefit is cooler air into the engine due to short path to outside air
    2) The "ram air" effect (boost pressure in the intake manifold) isn't going to happen <100 MPH. So don't expect big improvements in your 1/4-mi ETs unless you are trapping 120+

Johnny B - '98 "Triple Black" WS6 Convert, M6, All Options, ASC #3030 (1 of 50)
    KBDDSFC, DGM C/F Tonneau, MTI C/F Lid, K&N, HPP-III, 160 T-stat, Pro 5.0
    Link to Firebird Production Breakdowns

Black
    1999 WS6 Trans Am

[QUOTE=I was thinking about cutting the redirecting plastic vanes out of the nostrils... and also using some rubber to seal the aribox to the hood. Has anyone done this or thought about doing it?[/QUOTE]

Check out my pics in sig for seal, rainshields, BG TEF's etc. This is how GM should have done it had they not have to contend with all-weather driveability.
    Last edited by 99WS6RAMAIR; 07-30-2006 at 10:02 AM.
    1999 BLACK WS6 RAM AIR TRANS AM A4 (1 of 274 WS6 coupe Canada only models)

ASC conversion date: 6/10/99
    ASC build# : 4310 of 5007
    Hood Sequence #74992V

w/over (50) performance & appearance mods!!!

My Albums: http://community.webshots.com/user/kenawink

414 RWHP 395 RWTQ
    00 Black Ram Air Trans Am

Ram air? How bout this, as stated above, a sealed ram air hood is a really good CAI. All you are doing is introducing colder fresher air from in front of the car instead of warmer engine bay air, which is a good thing.

As far as the WS6/SS having 15 more hp than a TA/Z28...read the fine print on that one. GM claims a "Freer flowing exhaust" 2.75 vs 2.5 as one of the reasons for the gains. Also as stated above, they all pretty much dyno within a few ponies of each other anyways

Black
    1998 Trans Am WS7

After i installed my SSRA my 0-100 was quicker.

Navy Blue Metallic
    '99 T/A WS6 M6

Talking

HA!!!!!!! Mine is worth at least a couple 100 HP ...
    99 WS6 M6 NBM !Cags,!Cats,Vinci/Crane,Hurst,Detroit TruTrac,3:73,31 Splne,Edel.Race LT's,ORY,QTEC,Flow,ARP,Percy,MSD,SLP,AC/DELCO,Bosch,GMPP,Cntrfrce DF,Htchkiss,Susp.Tech,Lakewood,285's,Bilstein,Pro-kit,SLP,RK Sprt,A/Meter,Red Optima,Magnaflow S/S Tips,Hd Pins,Tint,Fire.Ex,[*4 Hot Rod Power Tours*]

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information