Petina
    1972 K5 Blazer

combustion in the coolant?

I have gone through 2, TWO! cold case radiators in my Blazer. I have to give props to coldcase though, they sent one to replace the first one I purchase free of charge last october and that one started leaking today. I walked out to the driveway and it was leaking, hadnt even started it yet.
    needless to say i am a bit pissed, called coldcase and they said take a pic of the serial number and the leak and they will send out another!! many props to them and their lifetime warranty.
    Now, the dude on the other end of the line told me that there could be "combustion" in the coolant? and that could be causing the pressure that is blowing the radiators apart. I personally, in all my years of being a home garage gearhead have never heard of that until today. He said that there wouldnt be the usual signs of water on the plugs or coming out the tailpipe but could be causing the pressure, said he had a 454 that was doing this. Said he changed the head gaskets and the problem went away.
    Can a head gasket be bad as to let combustion into the radiator and not into the cylinder ?

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Quote Originally Posted by Tregrad View Post
    I have gone through 2, TWO! cold case radiators in my Blazer. I have to give props to coldcase though, they sent one to replace the first one I purchase free of charge last october and that one started leaking today. I walked out to the driveway and it was leaking, hadnt even started it yet.
    needless to say i am a bit pissed, called coldcase and they said take a pic of the serial number and the leak and they will send out another!! many props to them and their lifetime warranty.
    Now, the dude on the other end of the line told me that there could be "combustion" in the coolant? and that could be causing the pressure that is blowing the radiators apart. I personally, in all my years of being a home garage gearhead have never heard of that until today. He said that there wouldnt be the usual signs of water on the plugs or coming out the tailpipe but could be causing the pressure, said he had a 454 that was doing this. Said he changed the head gaskets and the problem went away.
    Can a head gasket be bad as to let combustion into the radiator and not into the cylinder ?
    The only thing that can make its way into the coolant, with a bad head gasket, would be the combustion gases, or motor oil; the combustion process itself wont be able to pressurize the coolant ports in the block and heads to push any real amount of pressure into the radiator. Presuming that you have an overflow tank, and not a sealed system (and honestly even if it was a sealed system) the hoses, gaskets, and other weak points before it would blow before the tank.

Imagine the amount of compression that your engine would have to be putting out, to be able to pressurize a small hose, enough to pressurize the return portion of your cooling system enough to blow a radiator out; I just can't see any realistic build being able to do that. Air and water pressure is going to find its way out through the path of least resistance, which would be a hose or out the overflow tank.

I would say the guy is either talking out of his butt, or he is a mid-wit that is trying to sneak the company's way out of warrantying a radiator.

Petina
    1972 K5 Blazer

Quote Originally Posted by Whamhammer View Post
    The only thing that can make its way into the coolant, with a bad head gasket, would be the combustion gases, or motor oil; the combustion process itself wont be able to pressurize the coolant ports in the block and heads to push any real amount of pressure into the radiator. Presuming that you have an overflow tank, and not a sealed system (and honestly even if it was a sealed system) the hoses, gaskets, and other weak points before it would blow before the tank.

Imagine the amount of compression that your engine would have to be putting out, to be able to pressurize a small hose, enough to pressurize the return portion of your cooling system enough to blow a radiator out; I just can't see any realistic build being able to do that. Air and water pressure is going to find its way out through the path of least resistance, which would be a hose or out the overflow tank.

I would say the guy is either talking out of his butt, or he is a mid-wit that is trying to sneak the company's way out of warrantying a radiator.
    Agreed, I got the new radiator yesterday and put it in. Moved it over a bit so the steel clamps at the top are more squarely on the stronger outside "manifolds" of the radiator so hopefully this will work. If it blows again im going to get another and sell it on ebay and buy a better one.
    1972 K5 Blazer
    LS1 swap (12550592)
    4L80E tranny
    Dakota Digital instruments
    Fast electronics

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Quote Originally Posted by Tregrad View Post
    Agreed, I got the new radiator yesterday and put it in. Moved it over a bit so the steel clamps at the top are more squarely on the stronger outside "manifolds" of the radiator so hopefully this will work. If it blows again im going to get another and sell it on ebay and buy a better one.
    Is the radiator made specifically for your vehicle and just drop in?

Thread Information