White
    2017 forester

LS1 Reliability metrics

Apologies if this post is in the wrong thread, please move it if it is, however I am currently working on a systems reliability report for a university course relating to the LS1 engine.

We (My project group) are currently assuming that this encompasses all gens of the LS1. What we are currently looking for is any reliability metrics (MTBF type information would be fantastic), either officially released (Unsure if this exists), or inferred from service logs/warranty reports/user experiences/etc, of either the entire engine or engine subcomponents. I am not a "Car guy" and am therefore sort of flying blind here. Apologies in advance for what seems like an arbitrary imposition, but any help or nudge in the right direction would be appreciated.

-Andrew

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Quote Originally Posted by andyP View Post
    Apologies if this post is in the wrong thread, please move it if it is, however I am currently working on a systems reliability report for a university course relating to the LS1 engine.

We (My project group) are currently assuming that this encompasses all gens of the LS1. What we are currently looking for is any reliability metrics (MTBF type information would be fantastic), either officially released (Unsure if this exists), or inferred from service logs/warranty reports/user experiences/etc, of either the entire engine or engine subcomponents. I am not a "Car guy" and am therefore sort of flying blind here. Apologies in advance for what seems like an arbitrary imposition, but any help or nudge in the right direction would be appreciated.

-Andrew
    Andrew,

Perhaps if you to find a survey for a similar effort that could apply, users might be able to fill that survey out for personal level experience, as far as "published" data, that would most likely be found in the form of Technical Service Bulletins (TSB).

Also, what sort of scope are you looking at, specifically LS1 engines, or "LS series" (Gen III and/or IV small blocks)? The LS1, itself, spanned from 1997-2004 but "LS Series: engines were produced up until the "LT Series" engines replaced them, starting in 2013 through the mid/late 2010's.

Here is a link that can give you a little bit of info.

https://www.holley.com/blog/post/gen...ngine_history/

Thread Information