Pewter
    2002 WS6 TA

12 disc changer jumps and skips over bumps?!

Hey guys,

Have not posted in a long while but always checking in to see what is going on.

The CD player in the Monsoon head unit refuses to play a disc but the changer can
    have all 12 discs installed and all are selectable and play fine... when you are on a smooth road!

When the car is heading along a bumpy road the CD changer which is playing the disc makes the CD
    skip and do a real long pause before it gets itself back on track.. ( excuse the pun),

The car is in its winter storage right now so this will be a job for the spring but.... Is this a known
    problem and how does anyone reckon on fixing the problem? had a good trawl through the posts
    but nothing came up!

I will scratch my head on solutions before then but any ideas??

Thanks in advance..

Trev 😎

Navy Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 Conv

Trev, Common problems are dirty or scratched disks, or trying to use homemade music CDs that the unit has trouble reading accurately. If the disks are all clean, original, and in good condition, your problem could also be as simple as dust, hair, or other stuff in the path of the reading head or could be worse like a suspension spring in the unit that has let go. The easiest user level maintenance that I would recommend is to either find an old CD cleaner (a disk with small brushes embedded to clean the reader lens) or try carefully spraying compressed air into the opening. Otherwise, you can remove the unit from the car and open it to see if you can find anything obviously wrong. As long as it works when it is sitting still, it is probably not a board problem and may be able to be fixed by a good examination and cleaning.

Good luck.
    ATI Procharger, SFCs, Y-pipe, LM2, BBK Shorty Headers, Corvette N73 Magnesium Wheels, 4th Circle Designs Stripe and Overlay kit

Pewter
    2002 WS6 TA

Thanks Steve....

Funny you should mention homemade disks. Every one of them is a home burnt CD!

She is in winter storage at the mo, all tucked up and I will try
    this on the way home in the spring! That is to say, a selection of "proper"
    bought disks. never thought of this so nice one!!

rohan

The easiest user level maintenance that I would recommend is to either find an old CD cleaner (a disk with small brushes embedded to clean the reader lens) or try carefully spraying compressed air into the opening. Otherwise, you can remove the unit from the car and open it to see if you can find anything obviously wrong. As long as it works when it is sitting still, it is probably not a board problem and may be able to be fixed by a good examination and cleaning.

Pewter
    2002 WS6 TA

Hi Rohan,

I appreciate you offering your thoughts on the CD problem!

I only got into the rear autochanger because the single CD in the dash messes me about.
    I fixed the problem by putting more cushioning under the multichanger. I got some squares of
    fairly dense chip foam and carefully applied black duct tape around the block of foam to make it blend in!!

This coupled with doing what Steve suggested on the original only CD's has put the problem to bed.

And..... I don't often post but l still have the TA and she is once again in storage through our rubbish
    winter and will come back out about Easter time. It certainly appears that the value of theses cars is increasing!?

rohan

VThe easiest user level maintenance that I would recommend is to either find an old CD cleaner (a disk with small brushes embedded to clean the reader lens) or try carefully spraying compressed air into the opening. Otherwise, you can remove the unit from the car and open it to see if you can find anything obviously wrong. As long as it works when it is sitting still, it is probably not a board problem and may be able to be fixed by a good examination and cleaning.
    9apps apk

Thread Information