Red
    2002 Trans Am

ABS..Traction Control..Diff swap

Hello out there..I have an interesting issue and a couple questions...SORRY IF I BOUNCE AROUND A BIT....1st issue:..Just got a 2001 Trans am..100,000 miles..WITH TRACTION CONTROL..( This will come into play later )...Runs great..Except for a hum coming out of the rear diff...Got a cure for that though..Has a rebuilt title from a Driver Front fender damage..Checked it all out and has a new spindle arm and such but I corrected a couple issues with that..ABS sensor intact..Wiring good..So I was driving it home without turning the TC off and suddenly the ABS inop light,the brake light and the TC off light all come on..Brakes work great though...Any ideas whythat would happen ???????????????.....Next question is can I completly disable the Traction control and the light on the dash?????????...3rd question : The 2001 has 273 gears in the back so says the RPO codes..GU2...I have a 97 ws6 roller I am robbing for parts..It has 342 gears in it..ABS of course...I want to swap complete diffs over so I can have better gears...The Diff in the 97 has tighter bearings as the 2001 outer bearings are warn..Axle moves up and down..The 97 axle bearings seem tight..So basically I am changing up without having to spend a bunch of money on new inards..Will there be a problem with the traction control// ABS System ??? or am I good to go ????????? Getting new brakes coming also so thats a plus....Thanks for all the help...

Black
    1998 Z28

ABS & TC is a safety item and cannot be de-activated in the computer.
    2001: auto, 2.73 gears GU2, ABS &TC is 3 channel system, rear end carrier is a Torsen posi.
    1997: stick, 3.42 gears GU6, ABS only ??? you didn't state if it's also TC - ABS only is a 3 channel system, rear end carrier is an Auburn posi.
    "Axle moves up and down" - those are the axle bearings at the ends of the housing that the axles ride/spin in and have nothing to do with the carrier posi bearings.
    "swap complete diffs"- the differential is the posi carrier. Need better explanation of intention, do a complete rear end swap OR just the posi carrier and gearset. Either way, the computer needs to gone into to change gear ratio to correct speedometer MPH and auto shift points.

Black
    1998 Z28

ABS only has the sensor at the top of the rear end, ABS & TC has a sensor at each end of the rear end mounted in the dust shield/backing plate.
    Black 98Z A4 ,Yank SS3600 convertor,:SLP driveshaft loop,STB,PHB,LCAs,'flow-pac CAI,SFC,take-off 17x9 SS rims;StainlessWorks 'Y' & chambered exhaust,BMR LCA Relos,QA1s DblAdj-rear,Kenny Brown 6 Pt bolt-in cage,VGX pads

Red
    2002 Trans Am

Thanks Z..Yeah want to do a complete rear end swap from the 97 342s from to the 2001 273s..Rear end has noise coming out of it..Since the rear end with the 342s I already have seems like a quick solution which will be a good upgrade for starters..The The 97 does not have TC...But ultimatly want to eliminate it out of the 2001...The interesting question is why do the ABS inop, Brake , and the TC OFF light come after driving for awhile ???

Black
    1998 Z28

TC is not eliminateable, it's a totally different system because of the modules and electronics. Take a pic of your engine bay and compare it to the engine bay of a non-TC ABS only car.
    "why do the ABS inop, Brake , and the TC OFF light come after driving for awhile ???". Could have been dirt/crud/crap on a sensor and the computer relearns.
    Typically 3.42 rears, because they're from an M6 tranny, are more beat-up than a 3.23 rear from an auto would be.

Thread Information