Thread: Diff fluid swap

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Diff fluid swap

I'm shopping at Amsoil website right now for the upcoming maintenance on my car.

Haven't done the diff fluid in quite a while, so looking at doing that.

A couple of questions:

Does anyone use an aftermarket girdle with a drain plug? I'm thinking about getting one. Any recommendations as far as material/construction/brand?

Amsoil says LSD friction modifier is not necessary unless there is gear chatter. What do you guys run? Always use additive or only as needed? I'm still on the stock 10-bolt.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Diff fluid swap

I have a Moser cover for my 8.8. No complaints.
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/f7/my-6-liter-build-174257/

http://www.ls1.com/forums/f8/my-8-8-rear-build-165553/

6.0L Block - Forged 403ci , Polluter Stg3 Cam, FAST 102mm Intake, NW102 TB, MSD wires, NGK TR6 plugs, Truck Coil Packs, LS3 Fuel Injectors, CC Pacesetter LT Headers, TS&P ORY, QTP e-Cutout, Magnaflow Muffler, 104mm Air Lid & Line Lock, Catch Can, Stage 2 T56 w/Viper shaft, PRO 5.0 Shifter, Tick MC, SPEC Stg3+ Clutch, QT SFI BH, MWC DSL, Full UMI Performance Suspension, Belstein Shocks, Hotchkis Springs (1" Drop), YR1 Snowflake Wheels wrapped in NT555 tires & Custom Fab Ford 8.8 rear w/Wavetrac Diff 3.73 Yukon Gears, WSQ Hood, 3"CM Strange Eng Drive Shaft.

00 FB Vert - Stock

78 FB - Just getting started......

Horsepower never lies, but is often lied about!

Navy Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 Conv

I have the TA Performance cover. Drain plug is a nice feature but it really isn't difficult to do the service with the stock cover. The girdle studs are a nice touch, but not at all sure if they will really do anything to prevent damage. Mainly this is a nice looking dress up part over the stock cover. As to the additive, I always use the GM recommended stuff. Does it need it? I'd rather use it than find out it needed it when I cause unnecessary damage. Like everyone with a 10 bolt, make it last as long as you can and start saving now for the inevitable 12 bolt or 9 Inch that you will eventually need when the 10 bolt finally dies.
    ATI Procharger, SFCs, Y-pipe, LM2, BBK Shorty Headers, Corvette N73 Magnesium Wheels, 4th Circle Designs Stripe and Overlay kit

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I run the Moser aluminum cover with bearing supports. It's a nice looking piece and fluid changes are a snap. However, this is on a Moser 12 bolt with a True Trac posi unit and not the stock 10 bolt. Running a friction modifier should not be required, although there are posts that indicate that it can be run in a stock differential to address a "rusty screw" noise that can sometimes occur.

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Thanks, guys. I was noticing that many of the covers add an additional 1/2 pint or so to capacity, which would make more room for fluid/additive, theoretically reducing operating temperatures and thus theoretically extending component life span.
    Lid, Throttle Body, LS6 Intake, Heads, Cam, Magnaflow, LS7 Clutch, SFCs, STB, Panhard Bar, Strano Springs, Hollow Sway Bars, Poly/Roto LCAs, Konis, MGW Shifter

Navy Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 Conv

I was also of the opinion that more fluid is better, but recently saw this video from Gale Banks that has made me really thing twice about it, at least as far as axle covers go. Some of the covers may not be designed to direct the fluid well when the vehicle is in motion.

white
    1999 firebird

I have a T/A girdle, and run straight 140W GL4 with a friction modifier.

Quote Originally Posted by sjgreen6 View Post
    I have the TA Performance cover. Drain plug is a nice feature but it really isn't difficult to do the service with the stock cover. The girdle studs are a nice touch, but not at all sure if they will really do anything to prevent damage. Mainly this is a nice looking dress up part over the stock cover. As to the additive, I always use the GM recommended stuff. Does it need it? I'd rather use it than find out it needed it when I cause unnecessary damage. Like everyone with a 10 bolt, make it last as long as you can and start saving now for the inevitable 12 bolt or 9 Inch that you will eventually need when the 10 bolt finally dies.
    My friend is looking to get TA Performance cover for his 8.8 project!. Looks like Moser cover with bearing support is a good choice. I'm coming over tomorrow to help him install the new bumper, bull bars, and suspension on his current truck project.

Thread Information