Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Rear end

Does the 2002 ws6 have the 7.625" 10 bolt rear end?

Also, if i replace the outer bearing, is there a way i can get it close without ruining the rearend?

QUOTE=SMWS6TA;1145567950]Correct, Also if you have TCS you have 4 channel, if you don't it's 3 Channel.[/QUOTE]

Black
    1998 Z28

If it has the original OEM rear end as it came off the assembly line,yes it would have the 7.625" 10 bolt.

Without seeing/knowing what's going on in the rear end with the other parts,I don't think your second question can be answered.
    Two scenarios,if nothing is wrong with the other parts in the rear end and the crush sleeve and bearing preload is properly set-you would be able to get it close OR OR OR if the large inner pinion bearing is also bad-it would distribute all the bearing and race particles thru-out the rear end.
    Black 98Z A4 ,Yank SS3600 convertor,:SLP driveshaft loop,STB,PHB,LCAs,'flow-pac CAI,SFC,take-off 17x9 SS rims;StainlessWorks 'Y' & chambered exhaust,BMR LCA Relos,QA1s DblAdj-rear,Kenny Brown 6 Pt bolt-in cage,VGX pads

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

^^^this.

Rear end

I called some shops around here, $1200.. thats too much.
    So...
    1. Can i look at the inner pinion bearing with rear cover off or front bearing out
    2. If i replace inner race (outter looks fine) will i need a new crush sleeve
    3. If i did this operation, i was going to tighten the nut until no play in yolk. I cant use the nut turn count method since iam adding a new part.

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    ^^^this.

Black
    1998 Z28

1.) No ! The pinion with its' large bearing is the first thing that goes in the rear end. Its' view is blocked by the pinion gear from one direction and its' race(pressed into the housing) from the other direction.
    2.) Inner race can only be removed/replaced when EVERYTHING is removed from the rear end.

The inner race gets pressed into that counterbore where the pinion would be.

DSC_2719 A&R&C&CC&A S.jpg

Problem with taking it to a 'shop' is it's a business and their purpose is to get the money you have and make it theirs. They could say you need new ring & pinion set,new carrier bearings,new axle bearings and seals,new axles. And if you say NO,they'll refuse to warranty what was done.

I've rebuilt the little 7.625/7.5 " 10 bolts and,depending on the situation,most parts are re-useable. Just because a bearing(s) has a 'wore-in' pattern doesn't mean it's bad. Bearings(pinion,carrier,axle) are the first things to deteriorate. 1999 and later use Torsen 'posis' and there have been some catastrophic failures with those. Torsen doesn't even have/make an indentical unit because of that. Now they have a 'heavy duty' replacement.
    Last edited by oldmanZ28; 05-23-2018 at 10:12 AM.

Navy Blue Metallic

$1200 is with parts, even still too high.

Parts are $130ish, Hell it's only a 4 hour job and that's if they're goofing off. I paid $100 for a shop to do the pinon backlash and depth. I pressed on the bearings and installed the new races myself.

I'd call around some more.
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/f7/my-6-liter-build-174257/

http://www.ls1.com/forums/f8/my-8-8-rear-build-165553/

6.0L Block - Forged 403ci , Polluter Stg3 Cam, FAST 102mm Intake, NW102 TB, MSD wires, NGK TR6 plugs, Truck Coil Packs, LS3 Fuel Injectors, CC Pacesetter LT Headers, TS&P ORY, QTP e-Cutout, Magnaflow Muffler, 104mm Air Lid & Line Lock, Catch Can, Stage 2 T56 w/Viper shaft, PRO 5.0 Shifter, Tick MC, SPEC Stg3+ Clutch, QT SFI BH, MWC DSL, Full UMI Performance Suspension, Belstein Shocks, Hotchkis Springs (1" Drop), YR1 Snowflake Wheels wrapped in NT555 tires & Custom Fab Ford 8.8 rear w/Wavetrac Diff 3.73 Yukon Gears, WSQ Hood, 3"CM Strange Eng Drive Shaft.

00 FB Vert - Stock

78 FB - Just getting started......

Horsepower never lies, but is often lied about!

crush sleeve

So if I want to do the bearings on the pinion correctly with races, can I remove the differential/ring gear and work on the pinion or would I disturb the differential backlash settings.

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    $1200 is with parts, even still too high.

Parts are $130ish, Hell it's only a 4 hour job and that's if they're goofing off. I paid $100 for a shop to do the pinon backlash and depth. I pressed on the bearings and installed the new races myself.

I'd call around some more.

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

you will need a press to get the inner bearing off and on the pinion gear shaft.
    Cold Air Intake, Muffler Delete, Vinci High Performance Dual Valve Springs, Hardened Pushrods, Yella Terra 1.85 Rockers, Some Hydropdipped Stuff, Strut Tower Brace, Some SS Badges, boost/vacuum gauge, fuel pressure gauge, some checkered stripes, drilled/slotted rotors, ZL1addons Stealth wickerbill, Ruxifey LED side markers

Black
    1998 Z28

He has also been posting the project over on ls1tech. Might have even been completed yesterday evening.

Navy Blue Metallic

Rear end pinion seal

Going thru same crap on my Durango. Pulled the rear needs new pinon, diff and wheel bearings. oh so much fun

Thread Information