Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    That's pretty cool
    It's all made from re-purposed parts from the trampolin frame and scape metal roofing material. Only thing new are the sheet metal screws and tie down cable to anchor it to the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Stepson plowed a buck tonight with his new Ram 3500. Folded the lower portion of the front bumper under the truck and took out the radiator. That is one cheap ass bumper. I towed him to our house with the Suburban and they'll come get it tomorrow with a rollback for a ride to the body shop.
    Mental note to self....never ride with Jeff's family. Does your cars have doe scent on them?

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

Gun deer starts this weekend. Can't go to my normal spot because the guy whose house we stay at has his kitchen and basement tore apart so he or most likely his wife doesn't want anyone staying over. Sucks but whatever. Guess I'll be sticking to my normal hunting spots. Which means I'll be competing with family members of the people who own the private land I hunt on.

I am excited to do some drives though. Should be a good time.

Blue Green Chameleon
    2001 Trans Am Vert

They are calling for thunderstorms Saturday for our opener...fun fun
    2001 Trans Am Vert

Arctic White, red/gray

Our is 40 degrees... warm for mid Nov
    light rain... ehh I don't mind
    20mph wind with 30mph gusts... FUCK

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Wind is the worst. I can hunt in the rain and have had luck in the rain. Love to hunt in the snow. Absolutely hate hunting in the wind.
    Going to rain here all day Saturday for youth gun.....just like last year. Me and Zach will hunt pine stands just like last year and hopefully he tags out by 8am like last year.
    Sunday we're going to sit in the shed and watch the corn pile the last hour before dark. Deer have found the corn and are starting to get a pattern. Tonight they put on a show out there. 3 doe were there then 2 bucks showed up and started fighting. My wife and kids were freaking out. The big 8 won and ran a small 8 off then started dogging one of the doe.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Working on this tune for the bow still. I bought better arrows that had true blazer vanes on them. Little wider than my cheapies (that I've killed 2 deer with) and hit my cable. Ended up just keeping the cheapies (Allen) in the quiver and sticking the new ones in the case. They also consistently hit high left and I didn't feel like dicking with the sight today. Those cheapies are dead nuts though. I was keeping a 1-2" group with them and that was with muzzy on them so I have that tune close. Just have to figure out this cable clearance issue. I talked to a guy at the bow shop yesterday and of course I knew more about it than he did plus he was busy cramming Fritos into his mouth so I didn't want to talk to his stank breath ass no longer than I had to. I have to find out if I can just switch that guard to a Z rod or dog leg style. That would fix all my problems. Just not sure if I can find on that works with my bow. I'm going to send an email to bowtech and see what they say.

Arctic White, red/gray

Yes I hate wind as well. I would take 15 degrees with 0mph wind and rain or snow over 30-40 degrees with 30mph gusts.

My aunt showed me a video she took this morning of a big body 10 pointer cruising through her neighborhood. He was looking for fights and or doe for sure. Good news for me as gun deer starts tomorrow and she lives only 30 minutes from where I'll be hunting. Glad to see the bucks are still on the move.
    Last edited by Zinergy; 11-17-2017 at 09:26 AM.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

If you ever want to test your limits of frustration take a kid hunting haha. 2 day youth gun here this weekend. Saturday afternoon me and Zach walk into a spot. I catch movement walking in and freeze and whisper "deer". Zach walks up to me and asks where....I told him from now on when I say "deer" that means freeze in your tracks. Not come ask me where We sit down and about 10 minutes later it comes walking out in front of us in some thick brush....hefty 8 point with a real heavy body. I'm pointing at it and telling Zach deer. He has the gun up but isn't shooting. I watched it walk off when I could've shot it 5 times over. He couldn't find it in the scope. Man did that suck watching him walk off.
    We get home today and sit in the shed over the corn pile I've had out for a few weeks now. He shot a button buck at 5:00 so saved the weekend somewhat. Not the size of deer I want for him but at 14 he doesn't care how big it is and I understand because I was like that too. Just need something on the ground at that age.
    Sidenote....that Mossberg of his scoped with Hornady sst's will drive tacks. I told him to try and shoulder shoot if he could so it didn't run out of the yard and onto someone else's property. He put a perfect shot on it. It didn't take another step.

Navy Blue Metallic

Reminds me of the time my son went with Grandpa when he was 8-10. He woke up ok (at 5am), made no noise at all in the stand, then just after sunrise my Dad looks down at him and he's out cold asleep with his gameboy still on.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

We still go through the sleeping deal. Something else I can relate too I don't sleep these days but at one time I'd get some pretty solid rest out in the woods. I still give Zach shit about sleeping but I understand it. We camp every weekend so we're usually up fairly late. He's also full blown wrestling now 5 days a week so when the weekend gets here he's wiped out. As long as he wakes up every now and then to look around I don't bother him much about it. I told him as he gets older he'll be able to turn off his eyes but still keep his ears on haha

Blue Green Chameleon
    2001 Trans Am Vert

As windy as the woods were I got a nice nap leaned up on a tree just in a valley where the wind went over me. Had my eyes on a powerline clearing until they closed, but nothing was moving anyway on Saturday.

Navy Blue Metallic

Oh God I remember Wrestling season.....my senior yr was a bitch. I pretty much wrestled in 3 different weight classes depending on where the coach needed me. By that I mean where he either needed a win or a non forfeit/pin. Most of the time I was in my normal class of 125-130. But if it was going to be a tight team score and we needed to not get a forfeit/pin score penalty he would throw me in and have a JV fill my normal spot. I was good enough to not get pinned by the 138 or 145 class wrestlers which says something if you know about the sport. Pre-season most guys in those classes usually weigh around 150 and work to get down to those classes so they are "stronger" in the class. So if you usually are in a 125-130 class you are wrestling a guy that is 15-20lbs heavier than you and most likely stronger too. Ever once in a while I would shock and score a technical or actually pin an opponent. During practice at least for 30 mins I'd practice with guys close to those classes so I'd have some idea of how to handle them. I had one match that the a-hole had such a gorilla grip I had bruises on my arms and legs before the end of the 3rd period. He got so pissed cause we went the 3 periods and I would not let him pin me. One of the toughest matches I ever had.

And keeping the weight off was a bitch when one half your family is hard core Italian and it's the holidays. Visiting my Grandparents was a bitch cause all of the pasta and etc....

If he's doing good and loves the sport have him look at summer wrestling camps. They learn a lot during the 1-2 week camps. We went as a team to one of the Angle brothers in PA. It was pretty awesome form my memory of it.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

He loves it. Unfortunately he's not extremely good at it haha. Last year was his first year and he had 3 wins. This year I'm hoping he gets a few more wins because he puts in the work. He's a machine when it comes to conditioning and practice. He does 2 hours of practice then goes to the track and runs 2 miles. He's tall and skinny. Wrestling 106 class as a 9th grader. Dude puts in the work though so hopefully he sees that pay off. Last week he started wrestling up a class in practice because everyone in the 106 on his team are new and he was pinning them Everytime and said he didn't feel like he was getting any better so he asked coach to wrestle up with bigger and better guys.

Arctic White, red/gray

Opening weekend was cut short for me when my grandpa went to the hospital for a lung infection and refused breathing assistance. I left the woods and came home. He passed this morning at 3am in the Milwaukee VA hospital. He wanted to "be with grandma again". It's weird when someone is talking to you like they always have, telling you which tools and tool boxes are yours to take, joking with you like nothing is wrong. And then they just stop breathing because they refuse medical assistance because they just don't want to be alive anymore. RIP Grandpa, you were great. Thanks for giving me an outlet my whole life into the outdoors and the freedom as a young man to enjoy them. So many summers and holiday vacations with him at the lake house in the north woods. They played such a huge role in who I am and what I enjoy doing. I was lucky to have these 30 years with him.
    Last edited by Zinergy; 11-21-2017 at 06:43 AM.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Sincere condolences.

Blue Green Chameleon
    2001 Trans Am Vert

Prayers to you and family!

Navy Blue Metallic

Sincere condolences. Glad that you have fond memories of him.

Arctic White, red/gray

Thanks guys.

Didn't mean to be a downer in the hunting thread. But my hunting weekend didn't go that great. Got cut short and on Saturday morning I missed my chance to shoot the big guy on my favorite property. Should have listened to myself and stayed in my stand until 10. Instead I got down at 9ish to meet a buddy for some food since it was super windy and snowing slush. When I got to my truck I looked back on the field my stand over looks and there he was. Walking just a few yards behind a doe heading towards the river. Would have been a 60-80 yard shot from my stand. Mother F$%^er
    Last edited by Zinergy; 11-21-2017 at 09:56 AM.

Navy Blue Metallic

you must have been bow hunting.

That sucks.....nothing like them taunting you.....

Arctic White, red/gray

Nope, it was opening weekend of gun. The shot would have been 60-80 yards from my stand had I still been in my stand I would have had a perfect shot. And they were walking with the wind meaning they wouldn't have been downwind of me until they walked past me. From where I was when I saw the deer was a 300-400 yard shot on 20-30mph windy day across 2 cut bean fields. Didn't feel confident in taking it.
    Last edited by Zinergy; 11-21-2017 at 12:00 PM.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread Information