Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Welcome to the site. Nice looking ride too. As a general rule of thumb for everyone, 7-8 years of age is the extent of when tire manufacturers say tires are good for, regardless of visual appearance and condition. The compound begins to deteriorate and leads to tread separation among other failures.

I used Continental Extreme DWS tires as well, but on my Impala LTZ. They're a great tire for the price and you'll find nothing but great reviews about them online.

I will also be getting new front shoes for my 2002 SS this year. For the rears, I upgraded from Nitto 555R Drag Radials to Mickey Thompson ET Streets. Those will be installed when I get the fronts done.
    Boost gets you laid, unless your name is Jon.

Artic White
    2002 WS6

If they handle in wet or dry better than original F1 Goodyear's I would be happy.

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

My car had F1 Goodyears on it when I bought it in WA. As you can imagine, it was wet most of the time. The car was very slippery driving down the road, and 70 mph was intimidating. It was the first car I ever owned with any decent amount of power/performance, so I figured it was just part of the deal until I switched to Michelin Pilot A/S plus. That tire blew the Goodyears out of the water in wet and dry performance, even though the Michelins were an all season and the Goodyears were a summer tire. Have been using Michelins ever since without looking back.

I don't know if Goodyear has improved their design since then, though. Could be.
    Lid, Throttle Body, LS6 Intake, Heads, Cam, Magnaflow, LS7 Clutch, SFCs, STB, Panhard Bar, Strano Springs, Hollow Sway Bars, Poly/Roto LCAs, Konis, MGW Shifter

Artic White
    2002 WS6

Tires

Quote Originally Posted by Naaman View Post
    My car had F1 Goodyears on it when I bought it in WA. As you can imagine, it was wet most of the time. The car was very slippery driving down the road, and 70 mph was intimidating. It was the first car I ever owned with any decent amount of power/performance, so I figured it was just part of the deal until I switched to Michelin Pilot A/S plus. That tire blew the Goodyears out of the water in wet and dry performance, even though the Michelins were an all season and the Goodyears were a summer tire. Have been using Michelins ever since without looking back.

I don't know if Goodyear has improved their design since then, though. Could be.
    I put between 1 and 3 thousand miles a year on it now and I would be putting new ones on before they are worn out like these eagles. I have Michelins on my everyday driver and love them. it is a tough decision to pay the top dollar or get similar performance for half to 2/3 the price. I do appreciate all the info, it does help.

Black / White
    '00 T/A M6/'19 Hemi Truck

I personally don't like goodyear tires...but that's just me. Have had weird experiences with them over the years.
    2000 Black TA M6 - LT's, ORY, UMI Short Stick, TT2's, Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Braided Lines, and Tuned by Vengeance SCCA and Car Show Approved
    2019 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Laramie Limited
    2015 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Sport Premium Hemi - Sold
    2010 Hemi Crew Cab Sport Premium - Tuner and HID's - Sold
    06 Quad Cab HHHHemi - Sold
    99 Hugger Orange Camaro - Sold
    97 Camaro - Sold

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Quote Originally Posted by pep300 View Post
    I put between 1 and 3 thousand miles a year on it now and I would be putting new ones on before they are worn out like these eagles. I have Michelins on my everyday driver and love them. it is a tough decision to pay the top dollar or get similar performance for half to 2/3 the price. I do appreciate all the info, it does help.
    I hear ya on that: My car is sitting in the garage right now with bald tires because I've made up my mind that I want Pilot Super Sports... but those don't come in the right size for our cars, so I have to get different wheels in order to get the tires I want... so I gotta save up for the wheels and tires together....

Artic White
    2002 WS6

I hear ya on that: My car is sitting in the garage right now with bald tires because I've made up my mind that I want Pilot Super Sports... but those don't come in the right size for our cars, so I have to get different wheels in order to get the tires I want... so I gotta save up for the wheels and tires together....
    I'm going to take my time and see, I'm not in a hurry so I will take all into my choice. thanks much. I kind of agree the GOOD YEARS are a little over rated for the price but look cool.

Orig Regist: 9/98

Black
    1998 Trans Am WS6 'Vert

Hi everyone, thought I would post for my first time. have gotton alot of good ideas and info i needed for my car in the LS1 forum.
    I am the origianl owner of a 2002 Artic White WS6 convertible. all origonal except wipers, turn signal housings and lamps and battery.
    It has 32000 miles on it, garage kept and just driven in nice weather. wish I could direct post a pic. Even tires are original. Next thing I want to
    get is the GM build # and SLP build#. I work at GM also, funny huh.

I have all papers from dealer they had for car because I asked.

Im from Michigan and glad to Intro myself.
    Phil
    Nice ride. Ditto on new tires, had to replace my GY F1 OEM tires 4 weeks ago due to dry-rot. Went w/ BGF G-Force Sport Comp 2s, good ratings, low price.

Also, SLP never touched LS1 WS6s, you need to seek out ASC to get your build number. There's a link to the ASC contact on "that other" LS1 site, shouldn't be hard to find.
    Last edited by JohnnyBs98WS6Rag; 05-28-2015 at 12:11 PM.

Johnny B - '98 "Triple Black" WS6 Convert, M6, All Options, ASC #3030 (1 of 50)
    KBDDSFC, DGM C/F Tonneau, MTI C/F Lid, K&N, HPP-III, 160 T-stat, Pro 5.0
    Link to Firebird Production Breakdowns

Artic White
    2002 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyBs98WS6Rag View Post
    Nice ride. Ditto on new tires, had to replace my GY F1 OEM tires 4 weeks ago due to dry-rot. Went w/ BGF G-Force Sport Comp 2s, good ratings, low price.

Also, SLP never touched LS1 WS6s, you need to seek out ASC to get your build number. There's a link to the ASC contact on "that other" LS1 site, shouldn't be hard to find.

Artic White
    2002 WS6

Thanks, will do that.

Artic White
    2002 WS6

Reporting back. I bought the BFG comp 2 and the grip and ride quieter and smoother than the orginal Goodyears. I do appreciate the help everyone. Tough decisions. Also, talked to a friend of mine in a Pontiac club with a T\A same as mine told me how to order a Windscreen for my convertable for when the top is down. May be joining the club. Michigan Wide Trackers. Chapter of the Pontiac Ockland Club International. May get more tips to bring back here.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Reporting back. I bought the BFG comp 2 and the grip and ride quieter and smoother than the orginal Goodyears. I do appreciate the help everyone. Tough decisions. Also, talked to a friend of mine in a Pontiac club with a T\A same as mine told me how to order a Windscreen for my convertable for when the top is down. May be joining the club. Michigan Wide Trackers. Chapter of the Pontiac Ockland Club International. May get more tips to bring back here.
    Those are good tires. That's what I'm running also. I had the Gforce KDWs and those were really good tires. But, when it came time for new tires, I found out they changed the tread pattern. Plus they are a bit on the pricey side, so I went with the Comp II. I'm happy with them.

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

I have a windscreen on my vert. It really reduces the circulation inside the car, though it will still be just as noisy. I also feel that it makes the car look better... more complete, I guess... if that makes any sense.

Artic White
    2002 WS6

Friends of mine have them on their T/A's and love them. I guess they never made them for these cars but their is one that fits from some other car so my buddy gave me the number of the guy he got his from and I ordered one from him. Waiting for it to arrive to install, it looks great in his T/A and he said it installed easy with hardware it came with. The guy I ordered it from use to own a auto shop and had a bunch that he bought from another dealer that went out of business. Will say more when I get it.

Artic White
    2002 WS6

Recieved new WINDSTOP

Friends of mine have them on their T/A's and love them. I guess they never made them for these cars but their is one that fits from some other car so my buddy gave me the number of the guy he got his from and I ordered one from him. Waiting for it to arrive to install, it looks great in his T/A and he said it installed easy with hardware it came with. The guy I ordered it from use to own a auto shop and had a bunch that he bought from another dealer that went out of business. Will say more when I get it.
    Got my Windstop today, haven't unboxed it yet. Looks to be new old stock. Made by Oris. It is labeled camaro and Firebird. was gone when it arrived and it rained on it. let you know more later.

Artic White
    2002 WS6

Well, good news and bad, my windstop is new but missing hardware kit, I have to call the guy tomorrow to see if he has any or at all, didn't have directions either. If I cant get any I will have to fabricate a pair. let me know what you think.

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Post some pics.

Mine doesn't have any hardware: it just "clips" on and off.

Artic White
    2002 WS6

Post some pics.

Mine doesn't have any hardware: it just "clips" on and off.
    I'll have to take pics, the front has slide in bar brackets that are suppose to go into hardware brackets. I could put on the top boot to hold it down if I have too but with brackets you don't have to put on hard boot to use.

Artic White
    2002 WS6

Well, the hardware is missing. Contacted seller and no go. Does anyone have the hardware for a Firebird windstop, will buy off them, otherwise I will have to fab them.

Artic White
    2002 WS6

Got it

Hello everyone. Got lucky and located hardward for my oris windstop. Got it from afterthoughtsauto.com, was their last set. Posting new pic with it and the new BFG comp 2 tires. I appreciate all of your advice.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Windstop.jpg  

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information