Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Quote Originally Posted by Guerrillakilla13 View Post
    test drove one of these babies at the dealership today. It was a 2014 2SS with RS and 1LE (white, black rims black hood, and finally a 6 speed!). My dad made friends with the owner when he ordered his stingray, so instead of the normal 44+ price tag, we got quoted at 39 or 40. Knock off the 1le and nav and make that around 36-37. Aint life grand?

I really want one, and knowing that this body is only for 2014-15, the value will probably retain better than 13's and below. I got some thinking to do. I could wait for 6th gen, but instead of waiting I could also just buy better air intake and exhaust mods, making it a worthier competitor to the LT1 (which will probably be more expensive no doubt!)
    A 5th Gen with 1LE is a car I might consider... or a Z28... but for that money, I'd probably be looking for either a new Stingray, or else the 427 convertible (2013).
    Lid, Throttle Body, LS6 Intake, Heads, Cam, Magnaflow, LS7 Clutch, SFCs, STB, Panhard Bar, Strano Springs, Hollow Sway Bars, Poly/Roto LCAs, Konis, MGW Shifter

Silver
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Naaman, there's no way I can afford a stingray or a 427 for under 40 grand. If anything, I may be able to afford a C5 z06; but that things now 2 generations behind!

Honestly I have my reasons for wanting a new car cammed goat. For one, my WS6 is a automatic, and that drives me nuts. two, the road noise is absolutely deafening, three the cars problems are really starting to come out (my drivers side door is slipping off its adhesive or something, cause when I open the door, the front part comes into contact, and sometimes gets stuck, with the front left fender.) and really, the car can't corner if my life depended on it. And the braking is equally as bad.

At least with a 2014 camaro, i'd look forward to that 6 speed, chevy mytouch, a 3 year warranty, and 420 horses to play with. And i love that new look. Did i mention the car would be brand new?

You guys really don't like it all that much?

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I'd get a Boss 302

Silver
    2002 Trans Am WS6

ooohh..them fightin words Jon. Convince me..

Remember the Chevy dealer is Willing to get me a camaro SS below the invoice price cause my dad bought a stingray through them
    2014 Camaro: Check. 2SS: Check. 1LE: Check. 6 Speed manual? CHECK

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

See 1le is great for what it is, but the RS just looks ferocious. I love those LEDs, and it comes with bigger wheels (metallic gray?), a spoiler and something else. And its 1k on top of the price. 1le I think is running me too steep. I'm already in over my head getting a brand new car, give or take 1 year
    If you are already over your head then why get a new car? That doesn't seem very wise to me. If it were me I would keep my current car and save up for c7.
    1998 Trans Am WS6 - Phantom
    421 CI LQ9, Tick Performance Custom Cam, TFS 255cc LS3 heads, Kooks 2" LT headers, Kooks 3" True Duals w/ high flow cats, FTP 104 lid, Speed Density Tune, 4" silicon tube, LS6 VCT, FAST 102 Intake, NW 102 TB, Oil Catch Can, SLP Bilstein Shocks w/ Vogtland Springs, CTS-V 4-piston Calipers w/C6 Z06 rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, R1 concepts premium rotors, Hawk HP+ brake pads, VFN WSQ Hood, C5-R timing chain, SLP oil pump, E85 tune, Walbro 450 fuel pump, Deatschwerkz 95# injectors, Breathless performance headlights, Frost Tune, !HVAC.
    (Coming Soon) BMR DSL, UMI TQ Arm
    421 LQ9 14.8:1 on E85 Build/

NBM
    1999 TA A4

Quote Originally Posted by Naaman View Post
    I disagree. I drove a 2012 Camaro (new, in 2012), and was thoroughly disappointed. Major blind spots, no more "grunt" than my 4th gen, and an extra 500+ pounds of crap (20" rims, DVD nav, power this, doo-dad that, etc) to lug around. No thanks.
    You do know most dealers put regular fuel in these things while they are on the lot?

You probably don't think its a big deal.

You would be wrong,these cars have 2 fuel/spark maps and will default to the lower table at the first sign of knock.

Mine ran a 14.1 on the crap map and after the 5/20 fuse pull it went 13.08.

BTW your convertible 4th would probably be close in weight to a 1SS 1LE
    2010 Camaro SIM 2SS/RS A6
    1999 TA A4 NBM
    12.265 at 110.52mph

NBM
    1999 TA A4

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    I'd get a Boss 302
    Well i guess if you want to go slower around a road course and look like a poser

Around the 2.9 mile test loop, Chevy compared the Z/28 to some interesting benchmarks – its siblings, the 1LE and ZL1, and its arch enemies, the Mustang GT500 and Boss 302 Laguna Seca.

Interestingly, the car with the most power, the GT500, also posted the slowest lap time, clocking a 1:59.97. The Laguna Seca did a bit better, running a 1:59.05, followed by the 1LE at 1:58.85. Despite the intensely technical nature of the test track, the ZL1 was still able to use its superior horsepower compared to the 1LE to run a faster 1:56.58, but it was the Z/28 that delivered the best time at a mere 1:53.71

1LE vs ZL1 vs Z28 vs Laguna Seca vs GT500 - Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

I really don't understand all the 5th Gen hate,these are great cars not a rattle trap like the 3rd and 4th Gens(I have owned several of both 3x 3rd and 5x 4th also 2x 2nd).

This is the best Camaro ever.

Silver
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Will, I want a car I can keep for ages. I had my 4th gen camaro for 4 years, and my 4th gen WS6 for 4. I only got rid of them because they both weren't exactly what I wanted; the camaro was V6 and the ws6 automatic. I'm tired of 4th gen at this point, but I don't want no BS import that will charge me the same amount of money for less horses and less muscle. I can afford a new Camaro SS with a down payment, and pay the rest off in monthly payments, but I don't want to get too carried away with options I really don't need (like 1le. Why would I need 1le if i'm not zipping around a track?)

And to all of you suggesting I get a stingray, do you guys not notice how expensive those cars are?? They're going for well above 50k. And like I said, my dad bought a 2015 stingray, so why would I want one?

lol don't get me wrong gents, I like speed and maneuvers. But we don't get muscle cars to destroy the nurburgring I get them for the fun factor, the evil growling, the "road bully" look, and straight line performance.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Welp, if you get a 5th gen, get some performance mods like lightweight wheels, cold air intake, catback then get a lightweight hood and trunklid. Get yourself a lightweight driveshaft as well. Or buid a ZL1 clone.

Silver
    2002 Trans Am WS6

My friend, in due time my ultimate plans would be a Borla Atak Catback, Longtube headers, Cold air Intake, and lightweight wheels. Small stuff really, but in the long run i'd look into lighter parts or even a supercharger. The drivetrain can handle that right?

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

I couldn't handle driving a car that you can see every block or so. I see so many of the new camaros out there that they just blend in. I drove past a ZL-1 in a parking garage for almost a month around four times a day before I noticed it was a ZL-1. I have been here in Dallas for a month and still haven't seen a WS6. I am in the heart of F-body country and still haven't seen one. As far as handling goes, I would rather spend some of that monthly payment money on upgrades. For the road noise, I have done something about it already. I dynamatted the interior. $150 and two days of work. The sound deadening that they put in the Trans Ams wouldn't be enough to make a handtowel out of. Pretty sad, but easily fixed. It looks like you have your mind made up already, and it is your decision after all, but don't be surprised when no one looks at your car anymore. It is just like the DD I bought my girl. There are a thousand of them on the road at anytime in the Valley.

NBM
    1999 TA A4

Quote Originally Posted by cammed goat View Post
    Welp, if you get a 5th gen, get some performance mods like lightweight wheels, cold air intake, catback then get a lightweight hood and trunklid. Get yourself a lightweight driveshaft as well. Or buid a ZL1 clone.
    The trunk lid isn't very heavy,the 1LE comes with the lighter wheels.

The CB exhaust isn't a restriction especially with a 1LE with the dual mode.

The 1LE is Z/28 Junior.

Silver
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Keith, I have already dynomatted the whole trunk and so of the vehicle. The guy before me put in a aftermarket bass system and a ton of other costly shit (which I couldn't care less about), making it 2X as hard than it should have been. The matts helped a little bit, but not all that much.

Don't get me wrong, I hated the 5th gen look when it came out. Too mainstream, too plastic looking, and I still hate those double tail lights. I love those subtle changes they made to 2014. The taillights and front fender are beautiful, and its a car that'll only be around for 2 years. In due time it'll be a more rare look.

I love my WS6 and the look, but it's time to move on. The only real positives are the LS1, and the visual appearance. It still can't handle or brake worth shit. I'm itching for something more modern and reliable, without having to give up my muscle car personality.

EDIT: PS Tom, the catback isn't a restriction? Cause if that's true, i could just skip on the catback system and get an axleback for cheaper..

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Naaman, there's no way I can afford a stingray or a 427 for under 40 grand. If anything, I may be able to afford a C5 z06; but that things now 2 generations behind!
    Sorry. I kinda got on a tangeant. What I meant was that if I HAD Z28 money, I'd likely opt for a 427 convertible C6 instead. If I were going to get a 5th gen, it'd definitely be a 1LE.

Quote Originally Posted by transamtom View Post
    You do know most dealers put regular fuel in these things while they are on the lot?

You probably don't think its a big deal.
    You would be wrong,these cars have 2 fuel/spark maps and will default to the lower table at the first sign of knock.

Mine ran a 14.1 on the crap map and after the 5/20 fuse pull it went 13.08.

BTW your convertible 4th would probably be close in weight to a 1SS 1LE
    I'm not so naieve as to think that low octane fuel will not compromise performance. As for weight, perhaps you're right, although, my car's spec weight 3560 (about 100 lbs heavier than a coupe). I believe an optionless 5th Gen (V8) is in the neighborhood of 3800+. In either case, my car feels faster than the 5th gen I drove. Could be the light mods (cat back, air box, lid). Your car's 13.08 is no faster than a stock 4th gen, if I'm not mistaken. What was your trap?
    Last edited by Naaman; 06-09-2014 at 12:45 AM.

NBM
    1999 TA A4

Keith, I have already dynomatted the whole trunk and so of the vehicle. The guy before me put in a aftermarket bass system and a ton of other costly shit (which I couldn't care less about), making it 2X as hard than it should have been. The matts helped a little bit, but not all that much.

Don't get me wrong, I hated the 5th gen look when it came out. Too mainstream, too plastic looking, and I still hate those double tail lights. I love those subtle changes they made to 2014. The taillights and front fender are beautiful, and its a car that'll only be around for 2 years. In due time it'll be a more rare look.

I love my WS6 and the look, but it's time to move on. The only real positives are the LS1, and the visual appearance. It still can't handle or brake worth shit. I'm itching for something more modern and reliable, without having to give up my muscle car personality.

EDIT: PS Tom, the catback isn't a restriction? Cause if that's true, i could just skip on the catback system and get an axleback for cheaper..
    My buddy Jay just did headers on his 2012 2SS/RS M6 before the headers he ran 13.11 at 110 mph stock.

After the headers no tune with a home made CAI set up he ran 12.77 at 114mph through the stock CB both 60fts were 2.0x.

Most people changing the CB on a 5th Gen are looking for sound/noise.

NBM
    1999 TA A4

Quote Originally Posted by az gt eater View Post
    I couldn't handle driving a car that you can see every block or so. I see so many of the new camaros out there that they just blend in. I drove past a ZL-1 in a parking garage for almost a month around four times a day before I noticed it was a ZL-1. I have been here in Dallas for a month and still haven't seen a WS6. I am in the heart of F-body country and still haven't seen one. As far as handling goes, I would rather spend some of that monthly payment money on upgrades. For the road noise, I have done something about it already. I dynamatted the interior. $150 and two days of work. The sound deadening that they put in the Trans Ams wouldn't be enough to make a handtowel out of. Pretty sad, but easily fixed. It looks like you have your mind made up already, and it is your decision after all, but don't be surprised when no one looks at your car anymore. It is just like the DD I bought my girl. There are a thousand of them on the road at anytime in the Valley.
    Thats funny I get so much attention in my 5th Gen,everyday someone wants to talk about it.

NBM
    1999 TA A4

Quote Originally Posted by Naaman View Post
    Sorry. I kinda got on a tangeant. What I meant was that if I HAD Z28 money, I'd likely opt for a 427 convertible C6 instead. If I were going to get a 5th gen, it'd definitely be a 1LE.

I'm not so naieve as to think that low octane fuel will not compromise performance. As for weight, perhaps you're right, although, my car's spec weight 3560 (about 100 lbs heavier than a coupe). I believe an optionless 5th Gen (V8) is in the neighborhood of 3800+. In either case, my car feels faster than the 5th gen I drove. Could be the light mods (cat back, air box, lid). Your car's 13.08 is no faster than a stock 4th gen, if I'm not mistaken. What was your trap?
    My loaded(no HUD,SR or BC) 2010 2SS/RS weighed in at 3850 with a full tank of fuel.

My 99TA before the 12 bolt weighed in at 3750 with a full tank on the same scale.

Silver
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by transamtom View Post
    My buddy Jay just did headers on his 2012 2SS/RS M6 before the headers he ran 13.11 at 110 mph stock.

After the headers no tune with a home made CAI set up he ran 12.77 at 114mph through the stock CB both 60fts were 2.0x.

Most people changing the CB on a 5th Gen are looking for sound/noise.
    That's quite a difference. What would those numbers be with a tune and better mufflers tho? Is he running high flow cats or offroad midpipes? If we had an idea of that we would be able to tell how many more seconds it could shave off.

5th gens are really nice I think. I was just never in love with the corvette rip-off taillights. I was screwing around on ebay the other night, and i'm a little surprised that some 13 ZL1's are going for low 40s.. that would be nice.

NBM
    1999 TA A4

That's quite a difference. What would those numbers be with a tune and better mufflers tho? Is he running high flow cats or offroad midpipes? If we had an idea of that we would be able to tell how many more seconds it could shave off.

5th gens are really nice I think. I was just never in love with the corvette rip-off taillights. I was screwing around on ebay the other night, and i'm a little surprised that some 13 ZL1's are going for low 40s.. that would be nice.
    They are the hollow OBX resonators so no cats,with a tune he should see another 2 tenths and if he could get a 1.8 on his new DR's he should be bottom 12's.

Yeah a ZL1 is my dream car and the new tails are ok its that damb dryer vent in the hood I don't like on the 14's.

Silver
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Nothing wrong with the vent I don't think. It's there to reduce drag, which I wholeheartedly agree with since they did the same thing with the C7. That being said, the only downfall I see from it is that a friend of mine suggested they have ram air kits for the 5th gen. If I was to do that instead of a cold air, the hood vent would probably be useless.

Amazing how more air can bring an engine that much more power.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread Information