Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

3.5 years later and still no pics. Must be a challenging project.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Boost gets you laid, unless your name is Jon.

Black
    2000 camaro z28 convertib

I called gear vendors. You need a crossmember mounted torque arm and shorten the driveshaft by 12 inches. OH and pay them 2800 dollars. I'm seriously thinking about it because it would be about the same as doing a manual conversion. Wife drives it too so the manual idea is almost definitely a no go

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Quote Originally Posted by Chumbini View Post
    I called gear vendors. You need a crossmember mounted torque arm and shorten the driveshaft by 12 inches. OH and pay them 2800 dollars. I'm seriously thinking about it because it would be about the same as doing a manual conversion. Wife drives it too so the manual idea is almost definitely a no go
    Is Gear Vendor the unit that you can install backwards and have the option to engage mode to make gears shorter? I remember someone talking about that.

Black

Quote Originally Posted by Whamhammer View Post
    Is Gear Vendor the unit that you can install backwards and have the option to engage mode to make gears shorter? I remember someone talking about that.
    Not sure . You could call them. Interesting thought

Black

Gear vendors behind 4l60e

Quote Originally Posted by Z28dryva View Post
    They sell their units with the type of speedo that's on the tranny it's attaching to. They have units for 700R4, 4l60e and 4l80e with all the different tailhousing bolt patterns and they have the electronic speedo in there as well so obviously I'm not the only one to think of putting an O/D on and O/D. They even recommend running the tranny in 3rd with their O/D unit activated so it doesn't tear up the week O/D of the tranny under full throttle. No I don't constantly run 100 but I'd like the option to. My tranny was built by the previous owner and has 0 issues so this is one reason I want to keep it auto. I'm not doing another 6 speed swap from another donor car because both of the donor trannys were complete piles of shit. I still have one sitting in my shop that has absolutely no 3rd gear and it would cost more to fix it than it would to find another used one. I had to use the midplate and bellhousing from it to use a LT1 tranny in my last car. I had no issues with that but the car was completely stock down to the paper air filter. I'll give them a call tomorrow and see if they have heard anything about putting their units in 4th gens with O/D trannys
    I. Going to do it. I already spoke with my local tranny shop and with Gear Vendors. You buy a crossmember mounted torque arm, which is an improvement anyway. Shorten your driveshaft about 12 inches. I've priced around. I also have a 3.23 and I'm changing to 3.73. It will give the best of both worlds and still maintain/increase mpg on the highway. It's the 1-2 shift that kills us. I'll keep you posted. I priced a complete 6speed conversion and it's a lot more. Plus you can take it off if you sell the car. I bought a used driveshaft on Craigslist for 65 dollars.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information