Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Mystic Teal Metallic:320c
    1998 Camaro Z/28

maybe during the rebuild they just took it apart and reassembled it and called it a day and gave you a bill and since you babied it you didnt realized that it was the same? kinda f'ed up to think of it like that but ppl are worthless pos now a days and you never know

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by robs98mysticZ View Post
    maybe during the rebuild they just took it apart and reassembled it and called it a day and gave you a bill and since you babied it you didnt realized that it was the same? kinda f'ed up to think of it like that but ppl are worthless pos now a days and you never know
    Im just tired of people fucking other people over for money. It just seems like someone is always holding their hand out waiting for a free handout or for you to fill it with money. This is why I just stopped taking my car to mechanics. That And to save a shit ton of money. Im tired of the excuses as to why this failed or why I should or need to replace something. I will be fine, I just have to get this negativity out of my head and back into that transmission. Lol I said in another thread that this thing was my nightmare/bitch, hell above my avatar it says it. This car is like a woman...always taking money j/k hahaha. When I get home tonight I will post pics of the 1st through 4th gear tear down.

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by robs98mysticZ View Post
    Dont get me wrong, from time to time I would spin the tires and due a couple of burnouts, but nothing to stress the tranny out like that. probably 12k plus miles since I got the rebuilt were highway miles

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6 M6

Ok everyone time for a new update. I took all of the transmission parts to a second shop. I got way better service and recommendation for the the parts and what needs to be replaced. The input shaft needs to be replaced (already knew that) the speedo rotor in the back needs to get replaced, the 5th/6th gear syncro and sleeve and the 3rd/4th gear syncro and sleeve will be getting replaced. Thats it. So i am much happier. He said he would charge me 40$ to use a mic on all of the parts, and he did I watched him go through all of the parts. As for the "chattering issue" I thought and was told that the input shaft was causing was somewhat wrong. Although it may be chattering (very little just noticeable) when you are picking the car apart. Anyone of us can nit and pick at a car or our cars all day long. He said that is just mechanics, as long as the part itself is not causing issues it is not a big deal and honestley no one ever heard the chattering except for me.

Mystic Teal Metallic:320c
    1998 Camaro Z/28

cool good to hear so when are you placing your order so we can SEE progress im enjoying this thread

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6 M6

Hahaha very soon! I just finally had time to take it to a second transmission shop. the price will be under a grand easy. I am just happy for that. Because i had stopped at 1200$ and still going for how much it was going to cost me to replace damn near everything. I will show you the tool they used and how they measured it. Once i start posting things and pictures again. So far right now the bill is only around 500$ I estimate by the time i get all the pieces I need it will be roughly around 700-800$. I am thinking about putting it together tonight and then tearing it back down again. Lol time to get a good rythm in.

Black
    1998 Pontiac Formula LS6

In your travels that sum for parts is still a pretty substantial sum. I've got my spare T56 on a dolly on the garage floor and I'm wondering the best course of action. I actually cleaned this trans up and it looks good visually on the outside with 125K miles. Only problem that's obvious is the scored/ worn pilot shaft. Anyone have an opinion on what a T56 core is worth?

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Rich View Post
    In your travels that sum for parts is still a pretty substantial sum. I've got my spare T56 on a dolly on the garage floor and I'm wondering the best course of action. I actually cleaned this trans up and it looks good visually on the outside with 125K miles. Only problem that's obvious is the scored/ worn pilot shaft. Anyone have an opinion on what a T56 core is worth?
    depends usually its 500-1000 depending on shape. I'd say with a screwed input shaft your looking at 700ish and if gears are messed up inside it will only go down

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

A T-56 is not the trans to learn on. I would take it to a pro for your rebuild. If it is not perfect you could kill the whole trans.
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

Black
    1998 Pontiac Formula LS6

Quote Originally Posted by 2002ssslp View Post
    A T-56 is not the trans to learn on. I would take it to a pro for your rebuild. If it is not perfect you could kill the whole trans.
    I have NO intention of tearing this trans down myself. I'm just trying to weigh my options since I don't have plans for installing this trans in my 1st gen very soon.

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6 M6

I tell you what a lot of people are a little skiddish tearing the transmission apart. I swear by everything that I have learned and that I have seen while working on aircraft and working with cars, this transmission is really not bad. I can see where the shock and awe would come from and thinking (man there are so many parts, what if I screw up, what if I lose pieces.) As long as you are following the manual step by step, taking pictures (for your benefit), setting up a shelf or something to organize the parts as they come off the transmission with. I have already shown pictures of my progress and the tools that I have been using. If anyone has any questions on this feel free to ask and I will do the best I can to answer it. I tore this transmission apart by myself. I know that if I can do it, then others pondering or wondering can to. And yes the pieces to replace the old parts are somewhat exspensive. For me though, this is a project and not a daily driver. This route is far more cheaper than taking it to a shop and having them do it. The bill will easily rack or 2800$ for a shop to remove an old transmission and then to install either a brand new transmission or a rebuilt one.

Fire
    2002 SS

Mine stuck last weekend while spanking a Beemer [walked him by a couple lengths from 60]. Hit 4th, would not come out. I'll try the "extra force" fix then go with the "pull it for repair" soon thereafter!
    If I learn anything that adds to your thread I'll post it here for benefit for all.
    -Thanks for your thread & info!

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

OP updates?

Fire
    2002 SS

Last edited by Vexzer; 05-01-2013 at 04:44 PM.

Fire
    2002 SS

Turns out it was stuck in 4th due to a failure of the tiniest part. The syncro keys had forced past the spring tension out of place. Since they were out of place, the syncro could not return to the neutral position. Gonna replace them with the "Gear Box" billet keys.
    Attachment 25148
    Look close & compare the top end of the keys with the lower end. The lower end is undamaged. The top end, with it's knife-like edge is the damaged end.
    Last edited by Vexzer; 05-01-2013 at 04:56 PM.

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

Yep those keys will do it every time. I assume your also doing new carbon blockers with the billet keys correct? I'd maybe even consider a new 3-4 slider. Also for fork pads I would either do the stock nylon ones again or call up Jason at tdp and track down the vespel plastic fork pads that vipers use which is much stronger or buy Jason's brand of metal pads.

The reason is that truthfully the nylon pads will work fine for many years most of our cars a 12 years old now anyway and still have the stock pads. Jason has even put nylon pads in his stage 2 builds before he developed his own pads. The bronze pads on the market today seem to wear out very quickly some places have noted significant wear in the pads after only a few thousand miles. To me that's enough to either keep it stock or search for something else.

Fire
    2002 SS

redbird555
    Who is tdp? Thanks for the input.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Quote Originally Posted by Vexzer View Post
    Turns out it was stuck in 4th due to a failure of the tiniest part. The syncro keys had forced past the spring tension out of place. Since they were out of place, the syncro could not return to the neutral position. Gonna replace them with the "Gear Box" billet keys.
    Attachment 25148
    Look close & compare the top end of the keys with the lower end. The lower end is undamaged. The top end, with it's knife-like edge is the damaged end.
    I plan on ordering my stage 2.5 build from Gearbox and have a local shop do the work. Transmission are voodoo for me.

2002 Camaro Z/28 Pewter

redbird555
    Who is tdp? Thanks for the input.
    texas drivetrain performance. great bunch of guys

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Attachment 25148
    Same thing happened to me at 12,XXX miles on my 02.
    Boost gets you laid, unless your name is Jon.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information