Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6 M6

Yes sir I have a ton lol. Jon did you ever rebuild your transmission?

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Hell no. I'm too busy responding to everyone else who has problems to have any time to fix my own

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6 M6

What the heck? How in the heck can you help peeps if you have not done the stuff yourself? lol Jon you crack me up brotha.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I have done quite a bit with cars over the years with my father. He still to this day works on everything himself for the most part. We rebuilt motors when I was in my teens and early 20's on a few cars, as well as odd and end jobs; brakes, u-joints, motor mounts, ball joints, head gaskets, etc. A lot of smaller jobs mostly. I haven't worked on my SS much because it hasn't required it with it having such low miles. The aftermarket parts I have had installed I had someone else do most of it because at the time I was working full time and was in grad school also. I do all the maintenance myself and easier jobs like the PHB install, springs, oil, brakes, axle replacements and the such. Something like a T56 rebuild would take me months with the lack of free time I have.
    Boost gets you laid, unless your name is Jon.

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6 M6

Ya I feel ya man. Lol thats why it has taken me until now (a year later) to finally rebuild tranny. I work in aviation on harriers and at minimum ive been working like 12-13 hours plus. It took me 3 days plus to get it torn down with the little bit of time that I have...also helps that the T/A is no longer my DD. Im not sure why I finally did it. I just got a wild hair up my butt and said screw it, the worst comes then it will just go to a shop to have rebuilt haha. At this point though I am far from throwing that towel in.

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6 M6

I am actually having a blast tearing this thing apart and understanding just how every little thing it it works. Honestly This tear down is not to bad. Once you have the right tools you can breeze through this....That and I know of a few guys around here have talked to me about their trans am and want me to test drive their T/A's because they are having tranny troubles....hmmm I smell extra cash haha. j/k I like helping out though. Except this one guy, he had the same color trans am as me and was a douche....I led him down the wrong path and mind fucked him to the point that he traded his trans am in for a truck...At least I think that was the part of the reason. He really did have tranny problems though 1st/2nd syncro and the 3rd/4th syncro. I am going to go look at a guys trans am here in a couple of days because he said he thinks his tranny is acting up...who knows we will see.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

No doubt. You definitely get a ton of satisfaction from doing things yourself. All of my home projects I take a lot of pride in. Same with car stuff. Hell, I love paying bills even lol.

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6 M6

Hell yes! my wife said the same thing to me.

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6 M6

Last edited by RedFenix_68; 01-10-2013 at 01:07 AM.

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6 M6

First thing I did was I removed the shifter which is just four bolts that you can easily get off with a socket and wrachet wrench (this also should have been done while removing transmission from the car). And inside there is the shifter lever in which the shifter sits into. you have to knock that pin out to proceed. I just used what I had available, which just so happened to be a allen key.

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6 M6

Then on the backside of the transmission (Extension housing) has 8 bolts which need to be removed in order to pull the extension housing off to expose the inside. Lol and make sure all the Tranny fluid is out befor this step!

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6 M6

Now the insides are revealed and there is no point in turning back now!

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6 M6

Next you will absolutely need (snap ring pliers) or you are going to be fighting the next couple of hours trying to pry off snap rings. Remove that first snap ring above the speedometer rotor.

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6 M6

Now you can remove the speedo gear. Should come off with a little M-A-N. If not lightly tap with a hammer.

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6 M6

Surprise! another snap ring right under the speedo rotor. remove this to continue

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6 M6

Hey Look at that! Another snap ring! This is why it is very important to have the snap ring pliers! I cannot tell you how much time you will be saving having those pliers. The longest part of taking this transmission apart was because of these. Everything else was a cake walk.

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6 M6

Now you can remove the spacer and the roller bearings to move forward

- - - Updated - - -

Remove roller bearing. There is also a spacer behind the roller bearing remove that as well!

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6 M6

Spacer behind roller bearing, remove.

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6 M6

Just as a friendly reminder, I would set your parts up on the shelf so that when reassembly comes time, you will have all your pieces to put it back together and or replace the old stuff with new stuff depending on what you have to change out

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6 M6

What is that? Yes another snap ring. If you are doing this without the pliers like i did for the first four, well sit tight and get ready to have a blast on the rest of the transmission! Invest lol. Once you remove the snap ring, there is a thrust washer right behind it. Grab a hold of the reverse gear and pull off. You should have no problem removing this by hand. If you do you can use a cheater bar to get behind it a pry (very lightly) and pull it forward.
    Last edited by RedFenix_68; 01-10-2013 at 01:33 AM.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread Information