View Poll Results: Is it one of the greats?

Voters
8379. You may not vote on this poll
  • It is the goat.

3 0.04%
  • It's top five

10 0.12%
  • It's top ten

12 0.14%
  • Cool car but not one of the greats....

21 0.25%
  • LMFAO, hell no

8,333 99.45%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Quote Originally Posted by wicked1 View Post
    A sedan has 33 or more cubic feet of interior space. A coupe has less. What he's refering to is they use to claim a muscle car was a full (mid) size car with a complete rear seat. A Challenger,also on his list of muscle cars, falls into the same category that the Mustang and Firebird did. They called them pony cars because the rear seat area was very small. There is no 100% correct definition of a muscle car just like theres no 100% correct definition of metal music. Myself, I always went by the power to weight ratio and the f-bodys dont lack in power.
    Sounds like everyone is trying to make it more complicated or confusing than it has to be.

For me,,,a back seat is a back seat, I don't care what size it is. I also think that line of thinking would have all the 68-69 AMX guys in uproar (they never had a back seat at all) but are still very much a muscle car.

You can easily go well back into the 50's and find cars that fit the muscle car definition, and there were plenty in that time frame I consider muscle too.

I think the only time the term muscle car gets questionable for some,,,is the 2 seater corvettes, cobras, and the like. But it seems the term is always up for debate.

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

The term is up for interpretation, period. When I think muscle car, I think mid size car with an engine made to move a large size car. But all that has changed as well as car sizes have changed as well as the size engine required to comfortably move said cars.

One thing I do know is this 33 or more cubic feet of interior BS sounds like something somebody in a Audi research lab came up with.

Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    The term is up for interpretation, period. When I think muscle car, I think mid size car with an engine made to move a large size car. But all that has changed as well as car sizes have changed as well as the size engine required to comfortably move said cars.

One thing I do know is this 33 or more cubic feet of interior BS sounds like something somebody in a Audi research lab came up with.
    I agree 100%. That Sedan way of thinking would also rule out all the camaro/firebird/chevelle/impala/cuda/challenger/GTX/Roadrunner/mustang/Torino/ convertables as muscle cars too. That's a hell of alot of muscle cars that don't fit the "sedan" description that are definately muscle cars with a soft top and that's just to name a few verts, I left alot of them out.

White
    '10 ZR1

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    I agree 100%. That Sedan way of thinking would also rule out all the camaro/firebird/chevelle/impala/cuda/challenger/GTX/Roadrunner/mustang/Torino/ convertables as muscle cars too. That's a hell of alot of muscle cars that don't fit the "sedan" description that are definately muscle cars with a soft top and that's just to name a few verts, I left alot of them out.
    Agreed - I think the "sedan" inclusion in this discussion is pretty much bullshit.

Arctic White, red/gray

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Yea that is a lot of left out muscle. Some pretty iconic ones at that. I have 3 family members with chevelles and never once when I was in one did someone pull up and say you should get a real muscle car haha.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

mention a Buick Grand National in certain circles as a muscle car and watch the sparks fly..

Oh, and make sure you bring a helmet..

It has muscle too I tend to refer to this stuff (anything from the 80's on up) as Modern Muscle.

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

How I always thought muscle cars were defined. Domestic, two door, V8, rear wheel drive. Vert or not, auto, stick, , 6 mpg, or 35, doesn't matter. The range of cars that fit in this category is obviously large, and continues today with the Challenger, Corvette, Camaro, Mustang(all 37 varieties). The Charger? Not a muscle car, it has four doors, the Subie WRX STI? Again, four doors. The BMW two door? Foreign. Chevy Cobalt, four cylinder. Neon SRT4, so much wrong. Four door, four cylinder. Not a muscle car. As you can see, my definition is pretty specific, and narrows the field down considerably. I could only list four muscle cars that are currently being produced( again, by MY definition). As FBJ has pointed out, the 60's and 70's were loaded with "muscle cars". Having not grown up in that era, by watching on the street, and listening on THIS FORUM, there are only two cars at the top of the muscle car heap during the F-body era, the corvette, and the F-body. Ford didn't get its act together till they started putting SUPERCHARGERS! on them. Now, Chevy is supercharging their camaro, and everyone is giving Gm crap. The roles are just reversed. The point is, there are very few "muscle cars" left. So many four doors, turbo four cylinders, turbo six cylinders, foreign cars that for now, GM scored one of the top ten muscle cars in the F Body. Fast and sexy out of the factory, good handling, good gas mileage, and an aftermarket that is insane show that this is one of the top cars of all time. (For now.)

Arctic White, red/gray

But by your definition cars that are muscle cars aren't. What I mean is that some classics like the nova was made in two door and four door. So even though they are the same car with the same engine options and what not the two is muscle and the four door isn't?

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

Exactly. You follow. Again, by my def.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

I could have bought either a SS or WS6 and I prefer the interior of the Camaro to the interior of the Trans Am (IMO) so I picked the SS. The WS6 looks a tad more aggressive but I fixed that with a VFN hood. Now my SS looks more intimidating then a WS6 so I say

SS>WS6

Love it or hate it, it's my opinion and many of my friends agree
    ┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐

Man: The Mods you are fighting,
    they are the biggest Men I have ever seen. I
    wouldn't want to fight them!

Me: That is why no one will remember your name!

Gray
    2012 Challenger R/T

When you say Muscle Car I always think Classic Muscle Cars .. the 64-72 cars ... We have had polls and threads about this before and decided there is Muscle Cars , Pony Cars , and Sports Cars ...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread Information