Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

silver
    1996 Trans AM WS6

Quote Originally Posted by wileyCoyote View Post

one way is the one-shot sight in method.. aim at the bullseye, and fire one shot.... then observe where the hole is on paper.. .now, aim once again at the bullseye, and carefully make the scope adjustments to put your crosshair/reticle on the hole.. note: this may be difficult if your only have a 1x scope.. but, this method is quick, and should get you to zero quicker!
    i was trying my best to sight it in by the one-shot method but i just couldn't hold the gun in the same exact place no matter what i did. i think once i get a bipod i should be much better off.
    96 Trans AM WS6 (only 36k miles): Pacesetter LTs, ORY, magnaflow, !egr, !air, BMR STB, BMR LCAs, UMI SFCs, Alpine type R components up front, 2 12" Alpine type E subs, Alpine CDE-102 deck, Alpine 500m amp

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

Quote Originally Posted by TLS_Addict View Post
    I like the new Remington mounts. The base and lower ring section are 1 piece. 4 pieces for the entire set up. Winchester has a 1 piece base as does Leupold. On my big guns I like to use Leupold bases and rings. Their quality to me is better but yes they are more expensive.
    I have leupolds for my 30-06 and I was going to order some for my 300 win mag until a friend said he would make some titanium mounts and rings from extra stock he had. So we will see how that goes first.

Ray Charles blue

Hell yeah Zinergy! Try them out. What is your gun again? I know the Remingtons are different from the front of the bolt to the back. The rear is flatter where the front is rounded. Also, remember the front screws are shorter. lol The other day a guy came in and his bolt wouldnt close. I said "Who the hell put your scope on?" and before he could answer I said "If people are not smart enough to use the correct screws they should attempt to even put a scope on a gun." He told me that HE did it. lol He also put so much loctite on it was oozed out of the holes!

blue
    1999 TransAm

Quote Originally Posted by krese View Post
    i was trying my best to sight it in by the one-shot method but i just couldn't hold the gun in the same exact place no matter what i did. i think once i get a bipod i should be much better off.
    do you know someone w/ a gun rest/vice?... or the bipod, and a sandbag under the stock.. that would help reduce human error and other environment factors tremendously..

Arctic White, red/gray

Hell yeah Zinergy! Try them out. What is your gun again? I know the Remingtons are different from the front of the bolt to the back. The rear is flatter where the front is rounded. Also, remember the front screws are shorter. lol The other day a guy came in and his bolt wouldnt close. I said "Who the hell put your scope on?" and before he could answer I said "If people are not smart enough to use the correct screws they should attempt to even put a scope on a gun." He told me that HE did it. lol He also put so much loctite on it was oozed out of the holes!
    The 300 win mag is a savage. I like it, shoots great and accurate when sighted in, pretty powerful round as far as conventional rounds go. You can find the ammo anywhere, walmart, target, dunhams, farm n fleet. Makes the 30-30 feel like a .223 lol. Only problem is there is so much more aftermarket for remington over savage. They only make 2 stocks that are direct fit and they are ugly and not what I was looking for. I want to order a nice stock and have a gun smith fit it to the barrel, action and trigger.

One of my friends bought me some high velocity rounds for my B-day and I still havent had a chance to shoot them, most ranges around here have a 2200fps limit, and the 300 yard range i went to had a 3500fps limit. The HV rounds are rate at 4400fps lol

red
    2000 Z28

In the meantime for a makeshift rest, load a backpack with a bunch of towels so it's somewhat stuffed. That should give you enough stability. Personally, I prefer using larger round counts for zeroing small calibers if you don't have a spotter/spotting scope calling your shots. If you're not shooting against painted steel, individual .22 holes are really hard to see.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

Ray Charles blue

Quote Originally Posted by wileyCoyote View Post
    do you know someone w/ a gun rest/vice?... or the bipod, and a sandbag under the stock.. that would help reduce human error and other environment factors tremendously..
    Lead Sled. My buddy has one and then we strap down the big guns to make sure they dont jump. His just has the lay in front with the butt of the stock in a sling. It helps but even my dads 7mm Rem Ultra Mag was jumping out every shot. Not to be confused with the pansy 7mm mag that most people shoot and before anyone jumps in he has one of those too.

Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    The 300 win mag is a savage. I like it, shoots great and accurate when sighted in, pretty powerful round as far as conventional rounds go. You can find the ammo anywhere, walmart, target, dunhams, farm n fleet. Makes the 30-30 feel like a .223 lol. Only problem is there is so much more aftermarket for remington over savage. They only make 2 stocks that are direct fit and they are ugly and not what I was looking for. I want to order a nice stock and have a gun smith fit it to the barrel, action and trigger.

One of my friends bought me some high velocity rounds for my B-day and I still havent had a chance to shoot them, most ranges around here have a 2200fps limit, and the 300 yard range i went to had a 3500fps limit. The HV rounds are rate at 4400fps lol
    Huh? I hand load and with 76 gr (yeah, its a lot) of 4350 and a 180 gr I can only get 3200 fps or so. What grain bullet? I have to check this out because that is a HUGE AMOUNT of pressure at the bolt. I am doubting a 300 win mag shooting 4400 fts. Hell, RUMs have a LOT bigger case and with close to 30 grains of powder dont shoot that fast. Hell, they are only a few hundred feet faster than a 300 win mag because they are over bore and dont burn all the powder....even with a 26" barrel.

I had a savage with the synthetic stock and it was light as hell. Some "fail safe" bullets at a few grains under max and it would shoot pretty decent. Those are flat based so not quite as good as the boat tails.

Arctic White, red/gray

I think the box said the slugs are 90 grain. I could have sworn my reloading guide tell me how to reach 4,000+ fps with the 300 win mag. I have never reloaded rifle ammo

I was looking at a box of hornady the otherday that said 3530fps on the box. Those were the highest i could find at the store.
    Last edited by Zinergy; 10-12-2011 at 10:25 AM.

Ray Charles blue

Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    I think the box said the slugs are 90 grain. I could have sworn my reloading guide tell me how to reach 4,000+ fps with the 300 win mag. I have never reloaded rifle ammo

I was looking at a box of hornady the otherday that said 3530fps on the box. Those were the highest i could find at the store.
    Goog luck with that, 90 grain bullets will tumble like a f^cker if you tried to load them that hot. Reason being is they are short and stubby and act almost like a lead ball at that point. Those are more for "plinking" and getting someone used to a larger gun.

What grain are them thar Hornady 300 win mag bullets? You sure you didnt pick up a box of the ULTRA Mag?

Savage makes some very accurate guns, BTW.

Arctic White, red/gray

Goog luck with that, 90 grain bullets will tumble like a f^cker if you tried to load them that hot. Reason being is they are short and stubby and act almost like a lead ball at that point. Those are more for "plinking" and getting someone used to a larger gun.

What grain are them thar Hornady 300 win mag bullets? You sure you didnt pick up a box of the ULTRA Mag?

Savage makes some very accurate guns, BTW.
    I am sure they were 300win mag, they were 135gr. I tried to look them up online but couldnt find em. Closest I found was federal ammo on midway USA, 135gr 3500fps.

With a 90gr slug I am sure it will move around alot being so small and light.

Ray Charles blue

135 gr would be "ok". I used some BBT 125s in my buddies .308 because he is a freakin' puss ass. lol

Yeah the 90 grainers would weeble wobble. lol

Arctic White, red/gray

135 gr would be "ok". I used some BBT 125s in my buddies .308 because he is a freakin' puss ass. lol

Yeah the 90 grainers would weeble wobble. lol
    I usually shoot 150-180 grain out of that gun. I really do want to shoot the 180s vs the 90s and just see how much less recoil there is with the 90s.

I love the .308 win round, very fun, accurate and it doesnt destroy my shoulder after 50 rounds.

Ray Charles blue

No doubt! That 300 can hurt you after a while.

The 90s will feel like .243 compared to those 180s. I also load 168s, 165s, and 150s for my 300. Try different ones if you can.

Thread Information