Thread: Pcv catch can?

Pcv catch can?

So Sarge told me to post on up, so here it is. He posted about a how to for removing your PCV and putting in breathers and catch can. But that is for newer ls2, ls1 style motors does/has anybody done this to a 98 ls1? Since the 98 pcv and valley is a bit different in the way it runs, then theirs. Post on up, I really would like to do this just not sure if it would work the same as theirs!!

sold: 1999 firebird
    1998 Trans Am

subbed.

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

yes it can easily be done. You just plumb the catch can inline with the PCV hose. And sarge's breather setup would be the same on your car.

Artic
    2002 Z28

I just ordered my catch can. How is the install?

Blackened fire chicken
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Mikat1 View Post
    easy...and i noticed you have an '02...no egr, even easier

i have the metco breather, if anyone wants to take it off my hands for a little mula...

Artic
    2002 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by godless-phoenix View Post
    easy...and i noticed you have an '02...no egr, even easier

i have the metco breather, if anyone wants to take it off my hands for a little mula...
    Do I need a breather? If so how much you looking to get?

Blackened fire chicken

Do I need a breather? If so how much you looking to get?
    thats a good question...im not sure what the advantages are either...i bought it and never really used it cause it didnt fit to well with my strut tower brace...maybe one of the experts can chime in on the breather question

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

A breather has its advantages.
    There are 2 sides to a PCV system. Think of it like a forced air furnance or air conditioner in a house. The air blows out the vent but also gets sucked in through the return vents.
    Well the PCV system has a dirty side and a clean side. The PCV valve and catch can are on the dirty side. The "dirty" air is in the engine crankcase and gets sucked into the intake and is burned in the cylinders.
    But if you keep sucking air out the crankcase with out letting air back in, you'll pull a vacuum on the crankcase which can cause issues.
    So the clean air side is the air make-up back into the crankcase. Normally that clean air is the filtered air between the engine air filter and the throttle body. A breather replaces that clean air hose between the crankcase and the air filter.
    Follow me so far?? Because there is a lot more...

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Since you brought it up...

I always understood that a little bit of vacuum in the crankcase is a good thing -- just not excessive vacuum. If you add a breather, you basically reduce the vacuum effect of the PCV system and turn it into a free flowing air exchanger. Is there a happy medium to strive for?

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

I just did the LS6 valley cover tray, knock sensors, wire harness (converted to 99-02) and catch can in 4 hrs, that was with a 45 min lunch and a trip (another 30 mins) to the parts store for a clip. I had to take my time on the cutting, but that is not something you rush. The can took 10 mins tops.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    I just did the LS6 valley cover tray, knock sensors, wire harness (converted to 99-02) and catch can in 4 hrs, that was with a 45 min lunch and a trip (another 30 mins) to the parts store for a clip. I had to take my time on the cutting, but that is not something you rush. The can took 10 mins tops.

Any pics of the process?

1999 Formula WS6 M6-sold
    2001 Silverado Z71

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Since you brought it up...

I always understood that a little bit of vacuum in the crankcase is a good thing -- just not excessive vacuum. If you add a breather, you basically reduce the vacuum effect of the PCV system and turn it into a free flowing air exchanger. Is there a happy medium to strive for?
    Yes a little vacuum is ok.
    A breather does flow better but I'm not sure there's much restriction in the current clean air return.

The problem with the stock closed loop PCV system (clean air hose from the crankcase to the filtered clean air between the TB and engine air filter) is at WOT.
    At WOT, there is more engine blow by. That means there is more crankcase pressure. That pressure needs to/wants to escape. The pcv valve and catch can can't flow enough air. So the dirty air back flows through the clean air hose and into the intake. It takes with it, the oil mist you're trying to filter/capture in the oil catch can. You'd have to run another catch can on the clean air side to catch that oil mist....and some people run dual catch cans.
    Others run a breather. that makes the PCV system an open loop and the excess WOT crankcase pressure blows out the breather instead of back into the engine. And anyone who's run breathers knows in the past has probably experienced the oily mess they leave on the valve covers and nearby surfaces. Not too big of a deal if you don't mind cleaning it up occasionally.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Any pics of the process?

Jeff do you mean the whole job or the Catch Can?

Here are some pics of the install in this thread however I used the thread in the Tech Stickies as my guide and really didn't have much to add.
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=151831

I think I'll add a post about waring how your wire harness needs to be in proper position or you'll have what happen to me. It really sucks to have to go back in and redo everything because you crimped the wire harness.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    Jeff do you mean the whole job or the Catch Can?

Here are some pics of the install in this thread however I used the thread in the Tech Stickies as my guide and really didn't have much to add.
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=151831

I think I'll add a post about waring how your wire harness needs to be in proper position or you'll have what happen to me. It really sucks to have to go back in and redo everything because you crimped the wire harness.

I like pics of any project -- even if we already have a sticky detailing an install -- as you always get a different perspective of the job.

Blackened fire chicken

http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137715

all the way at the bottom of the thread youll see this "bracket extension" i had to make for my catch can to fit..i still have my egr, and i bought a katech belt tensioner and the catch can didnt fit were it used too anymore...wish i could take the egr off...sometimes, i really dont like california, haha

Thread Information