Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Black
    2001 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

I think the LMC is a good way to go. Projectors are nice but at the price you pay for the kits from BLS, no thank you. I can build my own for a hell of a lot cheaper than that. You don't always need projectors with hid lights. I have not yet once used projectors with hid kits and been fine by other drivers and such.

You say the 36-0302 is the low beam. I don't see the hid bulbs working as well with that reflector. I would probably get the 36-0303 without the backwards reflector and use that with a 35w hid kit. As long as you have the lights adjust right, not too high you will be fine.

Just buy some of these:
    Susquehanna MotorSports - Auto Performance Product
    This is just the first example I pulled up with google. I'm sure there are better priced ones out there.

and make some backing plates out of 1/8" aluminum and a good xentec 35w hid kit off ebay or equivalent and correct bulb and connector and you're done. Don't forget to paint the backing plates black. For about 300 give or take depending on projector price and hid kit prices, you can have 4 projectors with hid bulbs in them. What would be really good is if you modded the car to run your hid fog lights and hid low beams at the same time as your high beams.

I found this that's pretty cool:
    http://www.njfboa.org/forums/showthread.php?t=60167

Plates already made to order:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hella-60mm-P...-/140703214294

The video is cool, really shows how bright they are and how wide and long of coverage they have as well. Not sure what the noise in the video is, a dog with voice box removed and trying to bark or what haha.
    Last edited by 3YLSYKR; 01-05-2013 at 11:06 PM.

Red
    2002 Firehawk #0689

Any idea why my pics no longer work?

My FB account still has them up, but maybe they screwed up their "addresses"?

I will have to try and redo this write up. Wish I would have saved it....
    Last edited by dagersh; 01-22-2013 at 11:54 AM.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Have you checked your PB account? PB has been acting funky lately.

Sebring Silver
    2002 Camaro SS

looong time no post haha what's been happening?

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Step By Step - HID Light Upgrade

Agreed. Where have ya been?

extreme dimensions, driveshaft shop, harrop, hid(35watt/6k) lows, hurst, k&n, led fogs, maverick man, mishimoto, nitto, revshift, slp, stern st-1, smoked sidemarkers, whiteline poly radius rod bushings

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Ok, not entirely, but they would be nice.

Black
    1998 Black TA WS6

The only aftermarket HID projector that I have confidence in would be the Morimoto Mini. These have had good reviews from the HID planet which is a great source for all things HID.

Using a plug and play kit is a horrible idea and should never be done under any circumstance. It is not just illegal but far more importantly it is dangerous to others and also gives you much brighter headlights but with no way to adjust them. Also using cheap bulbs or those of a high color temp like some do to look cool with blue to purple tint not only have lower lumen output but also cause eye fatigue.

I have not looked seriously at the BLM kit in detail but it appears that at least the projectors and mounting method are OK. If they are using the Morimoto Mini which comes from the retrofit source which one can see how much they cost there. The mounts would be the thing specific to BLM. Other than those OEM HID projectors are the way to go. I have done many HID retrofits, always using OEM projectors except in a couple cases where the fit required the Morimoto Minis. Also I did not see what the bulbs were being used there but I have used Morimoto bulbs in 5000K which have worked out quite well, have a good reputation and at $50/pair are the least expensive bulbs I would use.

I have thought about using full size HID projectors in place of the fog lights but have not checked to see if they could be properly aimed from that low level. If so then that would be a good option, not for fog lights but driving lights. I have a set of Infinity G37 Bi-Xenon's that if they fit I might see if they would work for driving lights. I have the ballasts and bulbs and upgraded lenses for the projectors already and have $450 worth of stuff just sitting around. I would like to see some photos of the light output of someone that has installed HID projectors where the fog lights go to see if this is a viable project.

In NO CASE ARE PLUG AND PLAY KITS USED WITH HALOGEN HOUSINGS SOMETHING ANYONE SHOULD DO. It is not just being illegal, that is the least of my concerns. It is the danger to others. PNP kits should be outlawed, well they are illegal but nobody does anthing about it. Usually the components are also incredibly low end. Take a look at what a set of OEM bulbs or ballasts etc. cost and ask yourself how one could possible get anything of decent quality for so cheap...you can't is the answer. I would hate to be the person that used a PNP kit and caused an accident possibly killing someone else and having to live with the consequences of having been the cause. High bulb temps and uneven light distribution of HID bulbs in halogen housings can also be bad for you, from eye fatigue caused by blue light to lack of focus due to the overly bright foreground light they can also be a hazard for the user.

I hate to say it but think that this sticky should be taken down. It is suggesting doing something both illegal and dangerous to others as well as the fact that the results are just not good to be nice. I would not want to see liability for the forum. If you are not using HID projectors in a HID retrofit you are doing something cheap and foolish and there are tons of very high end modifications that require a lot of skill and effort that should be applauded. This is not one of them. I am sure the OP was not aware of the issues he was facing since 99% plus of all HID kits are the worse than useless PNP type. But it is not something that should be copied.

Blk
    2000 Pontiac Trans-Am WS6

Don't mean to resurrect an old thread, but did anyone ever figure out how to view these pictures?... This was a really great write up... hope someone can find a solution.

Red
    2002 Firehawk #0689

D1ablo

I have to rewrite and relink everything. Just have not had time....

Pics are all here, just not labeled

https://www.facebook.com/michael.ger...5383442&type=3

Gersh

Blk
    2000 Pontiac Trans-Am WS6

Dagersh, I appreciate the update... I will look into your profile for now & look forward to your post!...

Black
    99 Transam

I know this thread is a bit old but i went to dagersh Facebook page and couldn't find any of his pics. I'm slowly starting to restore my 99 TA and headlights are a no brainier to update in this car. I'll PM him but didn't know if anyone has these anywhere else?

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Quote Originally Posted by stealthtransam View Post
    I know this thread is a bit old but i went to dagersh Facebook page and couldn't find any of his pics. I'm slowly starting to restore my 99 TA and headlights are a no brainier to update in this car. I'll PM him but didn't know if anyone has these anywhere else?
    Here, I made a new one with updated pics and info from my project last summer. Any questions ask away. (However hit me up before the 26th of June, I'll be out and away from the internet for a couple of weeks)

http://www.ls1.com/forums/f6/how-bri...id-led-185822/
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/f7/my-6-liter-build-174257/

http://www.ls1.com/forums/f8/my-8-8-rear-build-165553/

6.0L Block - Forged 403ci , Polluter Stg3 Cam, FAST 102mm Intake, NW102 TB, MSD wires, NGK TR6 plugs, Truck Coil Packs, LS3 Fuel Injectors, CC Pacesetter LT Headers, TS&P ORY, QTP e-Cutout, Magnaflow Muffler, 104mm Air Lid & Line Lock, Catch Can, Stage 2 T56 w/Viper shaft, PRO 5.0 Shifter, Tick MC, SPEC Stg3+ Clutch, QT SFI BH, MWC DSL, Full UMI Performance Suspension, Belstein Shocks, Hotchkis Springs (1" Drop), YR1 Snowflake Wheels wrapped in NT555 tires & Custom Fab Ford 8.8 rear w/Wavetrac Diff 3.73 Yukon Gears, WSQ Hood, 3"CM Strange Eng Drive Shaft.

00 FB Vert - Stock

78 FB - Just getting started......

Horsepower never lies, but is often lied about!

Red
    2002 Firehawk #0689

Great write up Scott!

Mike PM Sent. Hopefully some of my pics will add to Scott's great write up. Some of the ones in the album I sent are dealing with door panel cracking prevention, just to keep any confusion out of it.

HTH

Gersh

Black
    99 Transam

Thanks Gersh! PM sent back to you as well. FB link not working. I have 2 cracked door panels and a cracked top dash. I just picked up 2 panels that are in pretty good shape over the last weekend (no cracks or sun damage). Going to replace my door panels. I need to still find a newish top dash that isn't cracked to replace mine then the interior is back up to par.

Red
    2002 Firehawk #0689

Mike,

Definitely mod your new panels with the machine screws (I found the how to on this forum). It is so easy, and the panels will never crack afterwards.

Gersh

Red
    2002 Firehawk #0689

Guys,

The FB Album has been set to Public, and the pics are available there. Scott's write up is awesome, and hopefully my pics will add further clarity. One of these days, I will redo the writeup...

Black
    99 Transam

Thanks Link works great now!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread Information