Thread: carfax

now greybat66

Red
    1998 trans am

Angry carfax

I wanted to let people on something that most people dont know.Well here goes my story.Back in oct of 2009 i purchased a 2003 maxima after selling my trans am.I purchased the car from a dealer in boston and the guy was not a nice guy.I did the carfax thing before i purchased the car and everthing comes out clean as in no accidents, well i drive the car until the bug of having my trans am back hits me and i tell my wife and my wife being the great wife that she is decided to let me have my trans am .On august of 2010 i see these incredible trans am 2000 pewter metalic convertible with 29 thousand miles and i tell my wife i wanted that car bad.The car was located in delaware 4 and a half aways from where we live in ny and we traveled all the way to delaware so we could exchange my maxima and offer the cash for the trans am.The dealer was a great guy but the news he gave me was horrible , he told me that the maxima was in a car accident and a said that was impossible i did the carfax before i bought the car after i bought the car and even after the dealer told me that car was in accident.I was in shock at first i thought that the dealer was trying to get over and give me very little money for the trade in but i then found out through experian that indeed it was in an accident IN 2003 AND HOW COULD CARFAX NOT KNOW.I proceeded to contact carfax and they did nothing but give me the run around.Bottom line is dont trust carfax use EXPERIAN, i will never use carfox yeah carfox ever again. By the why i got my bird and sorry for writting a letter lol.DONT TRUST CARFAX.

red
    98' WS6

Wow- that's weak. Did you check and make sure you had entered all the vin#'s correct? The way they almost monopolize the market for that service, you probably should've sued. Do you mean Experian like the credit check people, or is it a totally different company with the same name?

now greybat66

Red
    1998 trans am

yeah everything was checked and the vin was right carfax actually gave me credit on my purchase and was told they were not responsible for reports on accidents just on salvage titles etc and exactly a monopoly , they tell you use the carfax but for what just salvage titles how about accidents it decreases the value of the car.

now greybat66

Red
    1998 trans am

and experian as in the credit report

Wait.........WHAT??!! LoneGunman's Avatar

Hugger Orange
    '99 Camaro Z28

It amazes me that people still don't understand Carfax! Carfax IS NOT a tell all history of the vehicle. It does not automatically update itself based on registration changes and insurance claims. Those things MUST BE REPORTED to Carfax by dealers, auto repair shops, and owners. If they are not reported, it will not show up on the report! I've done Carfax checks on previous vehicles that I owned, just to see where they are now, and at least two of them were not even owned by me according to the Carfax report! A friend of mine just bought an '04 Avalanche that had a clean Carfax report. One look at it, and I could see it was previously wrecked! Don't ever think that a clean Carfax report is a sign of a good vehicle. There are hundreds of ways to cheat the system, and Carfax is the easiest thing to lie to. Bottom line.... CARFAX SUCKS!!!

red
    98' WS6

Damn- not just the way THEY promote themselves, but almost every commercial site on the net for buying used cars, official-dealers included, promotes them...

Experian the credit check peeps also know all about every cars history? That's almost creepy.

White
    1998 Trans Am

Hiding accidents from carfax is easy especially if it's not major. Pay for it out of pocket or if your like me any fix cars for a living I fixes 2 of my ex's cars after she got sideswipein a hit and run while it was parked and when she hit a concrete divider in a parking garage not watching the side when she pulled if. When we traded her car in I made sure you couldn't tell where it was repaired unless you were a pro. Someone else now owned one and the other she can sell and neither will ever show up on a report. New fender and some good paint blending so only a pro would find and repair work. Really gotta look for little things like a panel not in perfect alignment or overspray underneath from sloppy masking and last is bolts that hold the hood and fenders on you have to see if they have socket or wreck scratches same with door hinges. Moat cars I fix never look like they have been hit even the owners can't find the spot where the factory paint ends and mine begins.
    1998 Trans Am 85k miles.
    Bolt ons, MS3 113LSA cam, Circle D Stall, Tune, Modified WS6 style hood, Full Suspension, 6000k HID's, Clear Side Markers w/ Leds, Led 3rd Brake Light and 18" AR Staggered Killer Wheels w/ BFG KDW NT's.- Weekend Toy/DD
    02 Trailblazer -Sold
    09 Ram 1500 CC - Sold
    09 Cobalt SS/TC - Sold
    13 ram 1500 LoneStar CC 4x4 - Magnaflow, K&N,and more to come-DD/Toy

red
    98' WS6

Quote Originally Posted by RyanJM View Post
    Hiding accidents from carfax is easy especially if it's not major. Pay for it out of pocket or if your like me any fix cars for a living I fixes 2 of my ex's cars after she got sideswipein a hit and run while it was parked and when she hit a concrete divider in a parking garage not watching the side when she pulled if. When we traded her car in I made sure you couldn't tell where it was repaired unless you were a pro. Someone else now owned one and the other she can sell and neither will ever show up on a report. New fender and some good paint blending so only a pro would find and repair work. Really gotta look for little things like a panel not in perfect alignment or overspray underneath from sloppy masking and last is bolts that hold the hood and fenders on you have to see if they have socket or wreck scratches same with door hinges. Moat cars I fix never look like they have been hit even the owners can't find the spot where the factory paint ends and mine begins.
    So, say it has been in a very minor accident(not the major fix you did for your girl) and it had been fixed to near perfection- what would the consequences be-iow, why does it bring the value way down and is there anyway to check on that before you buy?

Wait.........WHAT??!! LoneGunman's Avatar

Hugger Orange
    '99 Camaro Z28

like he said, "you can't tell unless your a pro." That is the problem, pros can hide anything. If it's done correctly it's no big deal. But if it's done half-assed, and traded in at a little hole-in-the-wall lot, they will never know the difference, then they sell it to you, and you have no idea. THEN, a friend like me comes to your house and says "wtf, why are there tape lines and overspray all over your door jambs?" And your all.. "huh, what are you talkin about?" Then I'm all like..."dude, this thing was wrecked! And whoever fixed it sure as hell did'nt know wtf they were doing!" Then you say "but they showed me the Carfax", and I laugh and shake my head, and say "that don't mean shit!"

Bright Red
    1999 Trans Am Ws6

Use http://www.autocheck.com/ It is owned/division of experien. Cheaper than carfax, AND it still has unlimited option whereas carfax doesn;t.

Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

My thirdgens Carfax: Completely clean
    My thirdgens wheel wells: Beaten back into shape
    My thirdgens hood: mismatched original underside paint

My thirdgens chance of being in a accident: NONE LOL CARFOX TOLD ME SO

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

My father used Carfax back when I was looking for a GTO. I was talking numbers to the salesman while my father had a coworker run the VIN and the car came back as being in an accident, despite what the salesman said. Car was a grand more than the car I own now but it was hit and not put back together right with a hanging front bumper cover and rashed-out rims. I'm glad I passed on that dealer. Guy was a total doosh and didn't want to refund my deposit. I got my deposit back anyway.

its short but its skinny. jiveass's Avatar

pewter
    99 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by 86 IROC-Z View Post
    My thirdgens Carfax: Completely clean
    My thirdgens wheel wells: Beaten back into shape
    My thirdgens hood: mismatched original underside paint

My thirdgens chance of being in a accident: NONE LOL CARFOX TOLD ME SO
    your car cant be in an accident if the damn thing dont move!

Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by jiveass View Post
    your car cant be in an accident if the damn thing dont move!
    He closed the garage door on it by accident.

Silver
    2005 Toyota Corolla (DD)

Yep, I found a 2005 Mustang GT on autotrader that listed it as "Accident Free".

The 2 grill-mounted fog lights were missing and the stock hood wasn't alligned properly.

YEAH RIGHT!!!!

I sold my Explorer a few weeks ago, and the carfax showed no accidents. A few years back my wife got rear-ended and curled the back bumper under a little. She didn't get the other driver's information ( ) and I never bothered repairing it/replacing the bumper.

I advertised it as having a "Clean carfax." Was it clean? Yes, it was...no accidents reported. Had it been in an accident? Yes.

If the buyer asked me "has this been in an accident?" I would have been forthcoming, but I wasn't lying saying the carfax was clean.

White
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by alicor9 View Post
    So, say it has been in a very minor accident(not the major fix you did for your girl) and it had been fixed to near perfection- what would the consequences be-iow, why does it bring the value way down and is there anyway to check on that before you buy?
    Best way is to a friend that knows a lot and have him go.with you or tell them you want to have tour.shop check it. Most mechanics or body shops will usually be.more than happy to inspect the car for you for like $50. Money well spent if your not sure what to look for.since they do and can usually tell you within 30 min or less by checking panel alignment and just a visual inspection in the sun the can tell you if it has been painted anywhere. Believe me no one is perfect everyone including me will over sand and buff a.spot so it has just a little less than factory Orange peel or.miss minor overspray somewhere. There is almost always some small tell even some spot weld or.a nut somewhere scratched is a clue.

Senior Member transamprincess98's Avatar
    CT6

Quote Originally Posted by RyanJM View Post
    Best way is to a friend that knows a lot and have him go.with you or tell them you want to have tour.shop check it. Most mechanics or body shops will usually be.more than happy to inspect the car for you for like $50. Money well spent if your not sure what to look for.since they do and can usually tell you within 30 min or less by checking panel alignment and just a visual inspection in the sun the can tell you if it has been painted anywhere. Believe me no one is perfect everyone including me will over sand and buff a.spot so it has just a little less than factory Orange peel or.miss minor overspray somewhere. There is almost always some small tell even some spot weld or.a nut somewhere scratched is a clue.
    This is your best bet if you don't know exactly what to look for yourself. Even if you think you know enough it's always best to have a professional just double check it for you.

White
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by transamprincess98 View Post
    This is your best bet if you don't know exactly what to look for yourself. Even if you think you know enough it's always best to have a professional just double check it for you.
    Exactly spend $50 or even $100 to have a pro check it if of is really a car you want to buy it could save.you from a big loss later and hell it may have just been scratched or.light 5mph fender tender doesn't mean you shouldn't buy the car but it will give you something to.bring back to the table to make sure you get it for what it's really worth. If fixed right it will still be a great car and you can probably get a better deal also with some.paperwork saying you had it.inspected and show them where it was hit or even.painted.

Silver
    2005 Toyota Corolla (DD)

Rant: Wife doesn't know how to balance a checkbook

She's 25 years old and doesn't know the importance of logging transactions in the register and periodically reconciling them against the online statement.

Sigh.

When we set up her own checking account, I wrote the balance in it on the first line. She's had it for 8 months now. Know how many entries there are?

So now, I'm on a business trip and figured it would be a good time for her to start "learning". I left the register at home with a list of the automatic withdrawls and when deposits occur (and the amount).

She's still having problems with this.

"How much money is in the account?

FACEPALM.

Thread Information