Black
    1998 Black TA WS6

Question What 6 1/2 inch subs to replace the stock Monsoon?

I am planning to eventually get a nicer deck for the car with amps but that will be reversible to stock.

Regarding the speakers, on the way home with my new purchase I cranked the stereo and blew the two 6 1/2 inch woofers by the passengers heads. I went to Car Toys and they said I could not put a coaxial there or modify it in anyway and if I did it would both blow and harm the amp. They also had no 6'1/2 inch subs.

The installer actually lied to me, he told me that the panel had to come off to get to the speaker from the back to disconnect it, not just pop the grill as I had assumed, so I bought in to this BS and when I walked around to the side where they did the installs the installer said "I guess they do just pop off" after taking 75.00 to unhook them to stop the ungodly rattle until I could afford to truly fix it up. Also they charged me a 10.00 "parts fee" of which of course there were zero parts. I am truly pissed because this guy lied to my face, I am more than capable of having done that myself in the same 3 minutes it took him, but he convinced me how they were mounted. SUPER SHADY DEAL.

But back to my question. I found some Infinity speakers with separate tweeters to go in the front doors and some similar full range coaxials to go in the rear locations BUT what can I do to replace those blown subs on the sides by the back seat passenger heads?

That I could do myself and then get a nicer Kenwood deck with lots of neat features etc. while still keeping my stock monsoon system for if I ever sell the car.

I have 2 10 inch Infinity subs in a cab left over from another car that I would like to reuse when I get the money for the deck, but for now I just want to know what I can put in that will work with the rest of the upgraded system when I get it so I can install them and have some bass back to the music for now as well as replacing those other speakers due to the tiny door tweeters being broken (internally) as well.

What 6 1/2 inch sub is a good deal for this?

Thanks in advance!

Silver
    2002 Camaro Z28

I actually picked up some Fosgates today at my local Cartoys. Sorry to hear about your experience. I think you just got a shyster. I got the P16531 Fosgates for $120 with tax. From what I heard on there display wall, they were the best. I will ask and see whammy guy recommends.

Black
    1998 Black TA WS6

Quote Originally Posted by mcnoskyimages View Post
    I actually picked up some Fosgates today at my local Cartoys. Sorry to hear about your experience. I think you just got a shyster. I got the P16531 Fosgates for $120 with tax. From what I heard on there display wall, they were the best. I will ask and see whammy guy recommends.
    Thanks, it is hard to find subs that small and it is odd where they put them but I am going to ask for my 100 bucks back and also use a different store.

I saw some component infinities for the front door and tweeter and some similars that were coaxial and not component for the rear so if those Fosgates work for the rear it would give me back some decent sound until I can afford an upgraded deck and amps and probably use the 10 inch infinity subs I already have in a box from my last install, put in a new box later on.

But at least with new speakers it will sound better than stock and be affordable until I can do the rest.

Of course I plan to make everything reversable if I ever sell my WS6, it only has 31K miles on it right now, and obviously stock is always preferred by collectors.

Thanks Again,
    Tom

Silver
    2002 Camaro Z28

Believe me. If I could find a set of monsoons that were new and not an arm and a leg, I'd go that route. They sound fine for me. I would add an '8 punch for the rear. Besides, they would just plug in and I wouldn't have to do the wiring I have to do now.

Oh, wait. Your looking for a TA. Forgot about that separate tweet for the front.

Black
    1998 Black TA WS6

Subs mainly

Quote Originally Posted by mcnoskyimages View Post
    Believe me. If I could find a set of monsoons that were new and not an arm and a leg, I'd go that route. They sound fine for me. I would add an '8 punch for the rear. Besides, they would just plug in and I wouldn't have to do the wiring I have to do now.

Oh, wait. Your looking for a TA. Forgot about that separate tweet for the front.
    Yeah I have a WS6 and the stock set up is door speaks with sep tweets up front, Infinity makes a set that fits that, the stock rears in the hatch area are full range, but the ones in the back seat are just 6 1/2 inch subs, so for now just wanting something to replace that. I do like the sound of the aftermarket speakers but until I get the system in I have very little bass, it sounded ok when it was working stock for one day but now I can hear the tweets in the doors making noise so all will have to be replaced. The hard ones to find are those 6.5 inch subs though.

Navy Blue
    1999 Camaro Z28

What Voice Coil configuration do you need for the TA subs?
    Kicker has the CTV65 shallow mount subs, and the mounting depth is under 3" (2-7/8"), so you won't need to add spacers or clearance the metal in the sail panel for them to bolt up. The Kicker subs should have the vc configuration you need.

Silver
    2000 z28

i replaced mine w some 6 and a half 3-ways but like you said no bass ive got about 150 tied up in the bass though got a prted probox with one of those shallow mount kickers its an 8" sub and puts out a hell of alot of bass i paid 120 for it and the box new im sure wont find it that cheap again but it sounds great and the amp i used was just an alpine i used to haave in my truck i paid 50 bucks for it on craigslist

Black
    1998 Black TA WS6

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Blue28 View Post
    What Voice Coil configuration do you need for the TA subs?
    Kicker has the CTV65 shallow mount subs, and the mounting depth is under 3" (2-7/8"), so you won't need to add spacers or clearance the metal in the sail panel for them to bolt up. The Kicker subs should have the vc configuration you need.
    That sounds good, the other speakers suggested I could not find by the number.

For now I broke down and did the safe thing which was to buy a pair of new in box stock ones for 50 bucks each to hook up myself until I figure out what to do.

With that installer from Car Toys lying to me I have to rethink things. These will just plug in and will get be back to stock for now.

I have a pair of Infinity 10 inch subs in a box from another car I was considering somehow reusing. Still looking for the 2 alpine amps I had to keep the costs lower.

Thread Information