Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Red
    2000 Chevy Camaro Z28

BS to all that say they dont notice a STB doing anything,,

the STB was my first install and I took it out on the curvey roads in my area and I felt a diff,,

Was it lots,NO,,it was not like a comparison of coffee to meth,,was it a diff,,,YES,,

Also,,,to those that dont feel it,,,no problem,,like I said,,I felt a diff,,which means its doing something to tighten up things,,does this equate to better handling,,WHO can really say,,,since on the back roads (not a nice smooth race track) what makes your car tighter cant be bad...
    Last edited by TerribleTed; 08-25-2010 at 05:50 AM.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by TerribleTed View Post
    BS to all that say they dont notice a STB doing anything,,

the STB was my first install and I took it out on the curvey roads in my area and I felt a diff,,

Was it lots,NO,,it was not like a comparison of coffee to meth,,was it a diff,,,YES,,

Also,,,to those that dont feel it,,,no problem,,like I said,,I felt a diff,,which means its doing something to tighten up things,,does this equate to better handling,,WHO can really say,,,since on the back roads (not a nice smooth race track) what makes your car tighter cant be bad...
    that is the key right there...your first install...how many miles were on the car when you did it...decarbons suck ..you will feel a difference when you slap it on a subpar suspension set up..or at least think you feel it.....you put real shocks,springs and sway bar end links on and you wont notice shit from the stb..on or off...it has been proven again and again that the suspension setup and design of the car makes the stb pointless on late 4th gen cars...period...that is why the people who race and make their lifes about suspension for these cars 1. dont run stb..and 2. laugh when people come in and say a stb works and ignore their posts and such...

black
    1999 camaro SS

Hello,

Ran across this old post when trying to determine which height to set my Koni SA's. I currently have Tekico shocks/struts with Eibach springs on my '95 Z. I like the ride height but wasn't sure this would change with the Koni's. Should I leave the snap ring at the top setting or lower one? Any thoughts/comments?
    Thanks.
    https://www.koni-na.com/en-US/NorthA...117&mk=10&mt=1
    Last edited by Roryh19; 12-24-2017 at 01:45 PM.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Running Koni D/A's on the front of our car -- no snap ring setup on those.

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Running Koni D/A's on the front of our car -- no snap ring setup on those.
    I have the Koni S/A's which have a snap ring under the spring perch.
    I'll take a pic

Wasn't able to upload a pic (is there a trick?) but here is the link to Koni.
    Looking at the yellow strut you can see a grove made for the snap ring.
    The black perch is covering the top one which I assume is normal ride height?
    https://www.koni-na.com/en-US/NorthA...117&mk=10&mt=1
    Last edited by Roryh19; 12-24-2017 at 01:46 PM.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Ok - snap ring for the spring perch. I honestly do not recall that option on my D/A's. Will have to look -- in 4 months when the weather lets me get the cars back out of the building.

Haha, we don't have the weather problems on TX. As long as you can handle the summer heat.
    I'll probably just experiment with the 2 settings. Although compressing the springs is not my fav.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Definitely something you want to do in a safe manner. I modified our external spring compressors for better grip, always wear safety glasses, and never point the top or bottom at me when working on one.

Black
    2000 Pontiac Firehawk TA

Hey guys, I'm looking for some advice. I've got a 2000 Firehawk that I purchased with mods already done. It needs better shocks and springs for sure ! Dude did SLP SFC's and STB but left the stock DeCarbons and springs. Odd feeling for sure, stiff but soft at the same time. I had Eibachs and Konis in my 3rd gen, great set-up. I don't need cheap but also don't want to spend thousands. Also, I don't want the car too low because of where I drive, clearance issues. Any advice would be great.
    2000 Firehawk - LS6 - SLP Headers, subframe connectors and strut tower brace

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Stranos and Konis are the most recommended setup on here.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Best Shocks and Springs for the $$$??

If you want the best Viking coil overs
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/f7/my-6-liter-build-174257/

http://www.ls1.com/forums/f8/my-8-8-rear-build-165553/

6.0L Block - Forged 403ci , Polluter Stg3 Cam, FAST 102mm Intake, NW102 TB, MSD wires, NGK TR6 plugs, Truck Coil Packs, LS3 Fuel Injectors, CC Pacesetter LT Headers, TS&P ORY, QTP e-Cutout, Magnaflow Muffler, 104mm Air Lid & Line Lock, Catch Can, Stage 2 T56 w/Viper shaft, PRO 5.0 Shifter, Tick MC, SPEC Stg3+ Clutch, QT SFI BH, MWC DSL, Full UMI Performance Suspension, Belstein Shocks, Hotchkis Springs (1" Drop), YR1 Snowflake Wheels wrapped in NT555 tires & Custom Fab Ford 8.8 rear w/Wavetrac Diff 3.73 Yukon Gears, WSQ Hood, 3"CM Strange Eng Drive Shaft.

00 FB Vert - Stock

78 FB - Just getting started......

Horsepower never lies, but is often lied about!

Black
    2000 Pontiac Firehawk TA

Strano and Koni is my likely route but I've never done coilovers in an F-Body. I'm guessing adjustability is the main benefit ?

Navy Blue Metallic

For a daily and mild track then yes Koni's, Bilstein's and Strano are good to go.

Vikings are for serious track and autox use where you need to dial in the suspension as much as possible.

Black
    2000 Pontiac Firehawk TA

That's what I thought. My area has great roads but also lots of bumps and pot holes in between. There is no perfect set-up for everything but I figure Koni or Bilstein should suit me well. If I went Bilstein, do you think HD's would be to harsh on bumpy roads ? Does Strano do different amounts of lowering ? I don't want to go more than an inch, half would be preferable. I will go research their site.

Navy Blue Metallic

Springs matter more in the lowering then the shocks in regards to height. I have Hotchkis 1" drop springs and I did before and after measurements. I went from the stock 98(non-WS6) springs to those and my front dropped about 3/4's of an inch and the rear about an inch. I also at that time found out that depending on the yr of your car and region it was bought in you may have different springs. IIRC there where 3 different ratios. Norther cars were given one that elevated the cars slightly higher, about an inch more clearance. Cars that were getting shipped to Europe were also given these springs as well. WS6 package had their own type of spring as well as IIRC the 98's were different from the other later yrs.

With the Hotchkis and running OEM shocks (for the time being) along with my current suspension setup it handles nicely. Even on bumps it's not too bad. I worry more about clearing speed bumps and high center driveway entrances.

If you do go with a lower setup make plans for an adjustable torque and lower control arms. You need to make sure your pinon angle is at the correct angle. Otherwise you'll have drive line issues.
    Last edited by SMWS6TA; 01-18-2018 at 09:14 AM.

Black
    2000 Pontiac Firehawk TA

Yeah, I have no idea which springs I have. Canadian model 2000 Firehawk with Decarbons. Springs are black and look factory. The car actually sits quite nice as is. I would like it to be a little lower and a good amount stiffer.

Navy Blue Metallic

The Hotchkis are definitely stiffer over stock, I'm able to hit the turns harder (faster) then I was with the stock ones. With my LT headers and ORY the bottom edge of the door panels sit about 3.5" off the ground and you can't fit a soda can under the ORY.

I will say my car sits more level across the body lines over stock springs. The stock springs kinda had the rear sit a tad higher, just not like the old school muscle car look.

Black
    2000 Pontiac Firehawk TA

Pardon my ignorance but what is "ORY" ?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information