Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: lifter noise

its short but its skinny. jiveass's Avatar

pewter
    99 trans am

you think your noise is bad? try owning a 02 6liter in a 2500....these things sound like a frickin diesel!! but like was said earlier....its normal and nothin to worry about.

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28

I just switched yesterday from mobil1 5w30 to penz platinum 10w30 and i really noticed a sound difference, i can here my exhaust even when im standing in front of the hood, and my exhaust is weak sounding at idle

navy blue metallic
    2002 camaro ss

Quote Originally Posted by zeetwentyeight View Post
    I just switched yesterday from mobil1 5w30 to penz platinum 10w30 and i really noticed a sound difference, i can here my exhaust even when im standing in front of the hood, and my exhaust is weak sounding at idle
    I was thinking of running that oil myself. You noticed a difference pretty quickly? I'm gonna try it next week
    2002 Camaro SS/M6. Volant CAI, 80mm TB w/spacer, cat delete w/ ory, borla XR-1 w/ cme, custom tune, 3.73's, 8,000k HID headlights and foglights, 19" staggered ruff 278 wheels.

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by dennis ss View Post
    I was thinking of running that oil myself. You noticed a difference pretty quickly? I'm gonna try it next week
    Right as soon as i started it to check for leaks i noticed.
    There is also a new penzoil ULTRA that we are selling at my shop that is supposed to be beyond full synthetic

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

RP is better for salads than for an engine.. Some way back lab tests had shown it to contain mineral oil.. RP makes good oil filters that's about it. I would'nt run that sh*t in my lawnmower.. Castrol GTX 5w30 for more than 20 years here..
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

its short but its skinny. jiveass's Avatar

pewter
    99 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    RP is better for salads than for an engine.. Some way back lab tests had shown it to contain mineral oil.. RP makes good oil filters that's about it. I would'nt run that sh*t in my lawnmower.. Castrol GTX 5w30 for more than 20 years here..
    yea i run the gtx also

navy blue metallic
    2002 camaro ss

I guess I shouldn't wait two weeks to get that crap out of my engine. That sucks, RP was expensive. Anybody know if K&N makes a good oil filter?

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Wink

I guess I shouldn't wait two weeks to get that crap out of my engine. That sucks, RP was expensive. Anybody know if K&N makes a good oil filter?
    I believe yes.. Not air filters tho..

navy blue metallic
    2002 camaro ss

I believe yes.. Not air filters tho..
    Bad air filters? I thought they were good. No worries, I went with volant and its been good for almost a year now

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Wink

Bad air filters? I thought they were good. No worries, I went with volant and its been good for almost a year now
    Ehh it's another one of those multiple thread things.. But dyno results shown K&N's don't do much of anything.. Well except let dirt in your engine and get oil on your MAF.. I have the 85mm inlet fly by wire. I got tired of cleaning my MAF and Throttle body..

none
    none

My 2001 5.3 1500 has this ticking noise and it has 162,000 miles on it. I have been using 15-40 rotella as I thought thicker oil would help this problem in the summer.
    I think im going to try going back to what the factory recommends.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by TheDude View Post
    My 2001 5.3 1500 has this ticking noise and it has 162,000 miles on it. I have been using 15-40 rotella as I thought thicker oil would help this problem in the summer.
    I think im going to try going back to what the factory recommends.
    Lots of folks, myself included, have tried or use a "soup".. After comming to LS1.com and learning more about oils I tried a few "mixes" too before settling in on 5w30.. I found a slight increase in mpg's, and slightly lower operational temps too. I will soon be moving to adding an amount of 2-cyl oil to my fill ups too..
    Last edited by Smittro; 06-29-2010 at 11:51 AM.

none
    none

Cool

Lots of folks, myself included, have tried or use a "soup".. After comming to LS1.com and learning more about oils I tried a few "mixes" too before settling in on 5w30.. I found a slight increase in mpg's, and slightly lower operational temps too. I will soon be moving to adding an amount of 2-cyl oil to my fill ups too..
    Yeah there is a lot of good info on this forum. I think I'll try 5w30 next week when its time to change the oil and filter.

black
    2002 camaro ss m6

Well I think my next oil change I will go back to the 5W 30 oil .probley the penz platinum this time . This oil change business is getting expensive .By the way does anyone have the slight missing feeling in their engine that I mentioned eariler with no check engine light on ,,

maroon
    1995 c1500

LS Lifter tick, looking to find testers for a solution.

Hey guys, just wanted to post on the forum and see who is interested in helping test a solution for LS lifter tick.
    My company, whom I will not name has tasked me with formulating an oil additive to help free stuck injectors.
    The main cause seems likely to be varnish buildup in the lifter due to the DOD system disabling cylinders, causing oil to cook in the lifters and eventually seizing them. I'm looking for testers to try this stuff I made and give feedback, no cost, and no advertising. I just need real world data to prove this stuff works. If anyone is interested, please private message me.

maroon
    1995 c1500

Quote Originally Posted by LoganHSS View Post
    Hey guys, just wanted to post on the forum and see who is interested in helping test a solution for LS lifter tick.
    My company, whom I will not name has tasked me with formulating an oil additive to help free stuck lifters.
    The main cause seems likely to be varnish buildup in the lifter due to the DOD system disabling cylinders, causing oil to cook in the lifters and eventually seizing them. I'm looking for testers to try this stuff I made and give feedback, no cost, and no advertising. I just need real world data to prove this stuff works. If anyone is interested, please private message me.

Thread Information