red
    99 camaro

Sts turbo kit ????

hey guys n gals. Im lookin at a used base kit and was wondering if my hooker long tubes and tsp oryp will work with this kit? The guy thats got it said he has an lt1 car with long tubes and the up pipe from the turbo wont work without mods to it because of the long tubes on his car. I was wondering if theres any members here with long tubes on an ls1 car running this kit. I plan to run 5psi, would I have to change injectors or would the stockers be good for that hp level. I have frost tune on the car now and would probably have him retune of necessary. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. BTW 2000 is what he wants for it, is that a good price for a used kit if the turbo checks out good???

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

I cannot adequately express my hatred for that setup. I have lost so much time on those kits and their owners that I won't touch an f-body that has that kit. I would strongly suggest saving for something better.

For any forced induction you will need pump and injectors.

PBM 366ci TC78 E85
    2004 Pontiac GTO PBM A4

alrighty, this topic has been beat to death. But none the less, allow me to elaborate.

Rearmount Turbos DO WORK! each setup has its pros and cons. Infact, when setup CORRECTLY, rearmount cars make some pretty nice street warriors and can even turn out some damn impressive ets at the track. I can think of 3 that are running 9s. Now, STS!!!!!!!!!!! is junk. There piping is small as hell and very restrictive. Their pipes hang low. You MUST wrap your exhaust, or you will hate life. Ditch the cats, they are far to restrictive. pump and injectors is a must.

at the end of the day, dont let ANYONE tell you that a rearmount setup is crap. they can be potent just like every other power adder. They are easier to make, easier to work on. Yes you have the added oil pump. WHo cares. Scavenge pumps have been used for years. Please dont ever confuse a rearmount setup with that crap called STS.

Ditch the longtubes in favor of some stock manifolds. Infact sell them, itll help recoup some of the cost of the kit. Also, i dont know how easy it is going to be connect the system for and lt1 car to an ls1 car. but give it a look, and 2k is not bad as long as it is 100% complete.
    Last edited by JAX04; 06-22-2010 at 10:08 AM.

red
    99 camaro

the kit came off an ls1 car and was going to be put an lt1 car but wouldnt work. If sts is shit then I will look elsewhere, because Steve, you would be the one I was going to get to tune it. Damn, this sucks....

LS1.com Sponsor
    GM Tuner

Yeah I don't hate rear mount, I hate STS.

red
    99 camaro

any particular reason??? Quality, fitment, tuning issues???

PBM 366ci TC78 E85
    2004 Pontiac GTO PBM A4

all of the above

sts, had to make a kit that would fit EVERY car out there. Now the problem with that is, every car is slightly different, so what could fit one car, might not another, so they had to make them with a large enough tolerance so that they would all fit.

This lead to really low hanging pipes, which lead to poor ground clearance. Smaller pipe sizes which limit the power you make. Crappy silicone in teh kit, worm gear instead of tbolt clamps.

Zero thought put into the pcv system, an oil return pump that didnt last very long(some people got lucky on this on)

the list goes on, the kits were a crappy design, someone saw a way to make a quick buck and slapped something together, that was very apparent. And on top of all that, There customer service was crap. ALL these things and more led to the eventual bad rep of STS. Now, frost may have some first hand experience of a bad kits so he may have a further disliking.

At the end of the day, if you want simplicity, build your own kit. rearmount are really not that hard to make, and people like zombie, or 1320, or kenny etc. have already done all the leg work figuring out how to go fast with them. or you can do what all Fbody guys do, truck manifolds turned forward with rad stood up str8

Silver
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Alright...I may be late to the party but I'll chime in. Yes STS kits are junk and basically, rear mount kits are novelties. I know there was one individual that used to roam around this board with a GTO that had a rear mount that was complete junk and he tried to start peddling it around to the members. I know of one that was burned. Basically, when it comes to forced induction put the turbo up front where it belongs. Trust me, the statement of “you’ll run just as fast as the front mount guys” is nowhere near correct. If that were the case then why wouldn’t you see more of those setups on pro-mod cars? Look at events like the LSX shootout… you wont see anyone running a rear mount that is competitive. Now if you’d like to get into the nuts and bolts of it I’d be glad to explain all of that but I’m just trying to keep it very simple.

red
    99 camaro

I decided not to buy the kit based on the input recieved here, thanks ls1.com!!!

black
    1997 Camaro ss

Is there alot of customization required?

black99, silverY2K
    1999 z28 & Y2K z28

Are there other rear mount "kits" or only DIY. I have not heard of other brands. I do like the idea of the rear mount to help keep the engine bay clear and cooler. Has anyone tried a stacked setup? I am just trying to get some input before investing cash into the forced induction side. I also like the idea of the use of the turbo instead of a muffler. I like my car stock sounding until I stick my foot into it.

red
    99 camaro

^^^ Check the dates on the replies guys. Id also like to know the answer if there are other cars with rearmount custom made kits on them, but Im not going to be the one to beat the dead horse here again.

Thread Information