Navy Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 Conv

Do I have a Monsoon?

I recently bought an 02 TA that was optioned with the Monsoon system and 12 disk. My radio head unit looks like all of the Monsoon systems I've seen except for one thing, next to the word Pontiac in the upper left corner it does not say Monsoon? Did they drop the name in the 02 model year or did someone switch out my unit with another, is there any other way to confirm it is a Monsoon head unit from the numbers on back?

Thanks, Steve

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

Someone could have swapped out the headunit. No difference in headunits from monsoon to non monsoon.

its short but its skinny. jiveass's Avatar

pewter
    99 trans am

i cant remember, but somewhere on this site someone has the ability to run your vin through gm and it gives you all the info on the car when it was new, like specs and options that the car had.

Navy Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 Conv

Thanks, I'm sure of the options, got the window sticker from the car and ran the VIN.

If there isn't a difference in the head unit to make it a Monsoon system then maybe I don't have a problem. System seems to work fine and have lots of volume and sound, just doesn't have the little "Monsoon" name at the top left.

Steve

pewter
    99 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by sjgreen6 View Post
    Thanks, I'm sure of the options, got the window sticker from the car and ran the VIN.

If there isn't a difference in the head unit to make it a Monsoon system then maybe I don't have a problem. System seems to work fine and have lots of volume and sound, just doesn't have the little "Monsoon" name at the top left.

Steve
    if thats your car in your avatar, I would love to see more pictures of that thing. Its lookin pretty sweet!

Navy Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 Conv

Yes the avatar is my car. Just bought it back in October after selling a 1971 Pontiac LeMans Sport 455 that I had since 1986. Broke my heart but it was the only way I was going to swing the new car.

We are still getting acquainted. It's still got under 7500 miles! 02 WS6 in Navy Blue with the Taupe interior, automatic, and every option.

I've done a few small things, SFCs, and SLP intake and LM2 catback but nothing beyond bolt on. I still haven't taken any pictures of it myself. I've just got the pics from the dealership.

Looks like the only thing the original owner did was add a couple of small LED lights in the grill and under the rear. I found the remnents of the lights and wiring on the car and took all of that crap off. Did a really bad job of splicing wires where he tapped into the rear harness so I had to do a bit of soldering to get it all cleaned up. Otherwise, the car is in cherry condition!

pewter
    99 trans am

Man just from the description you just gave, that thing should enter for car of the month! You gotta post up some pictures!

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

NBM is the proper color to paint an f-bod... But I'm biosed But as for the Stereo the "monsoontobebroken" is imho JUNK.. Be glad yours is not..
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

I believe the part where it pertains to being the Monsoon system is the amp.

Steve

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

It's not that bad. Short of the speakers lacking durability, it's an okay factory system. I've had it in all three of my LS1s and my LT1 had the Delco/Bose system.

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    NBM is the proper color to paint an f-bod... But I'm biosed But as for the Stereo the "monsoontobebroken" is imho JUNK.. Be glad yours is not..

Navy Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 Conv

Thanks for all the input. My system seems to be working find, just was concerned that I had the wrong head unit. Sounds like its all good!

Steve

NBM
    1998 Z28

My 98 Z28 did not have the Monsoon logo on the radio and I was asking about that on another site and I was told that in the beginning Early 1998 models produced in late 1997 there was no logo but on all models produced from mid 1998 on all Monsoon radios had the logo. That is strange because your car is a 2002. I bought my car in Nov. 1997 and at that time i had test driven many cars, and the factory Monsoon at that time was one of the BEST Factory radios on the market. My speakers were just old so i replaced them with afternarket speakers that are real good right now but in 5 or 10 years???

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

He may not have the Monsoon system. I believe the part that makes it that is the 500 peak watt amp.

Quote Originally Posted by Civic1 View Post
    My 98 Z28 did not have the Monsoon logo on the radio and I was asking about that on another site and I was told that in the beginning Early 1998 models produced in late 1997 there was no logo but on all models produced from mid 1998 on all Monsoon radios had the logo. That is strange because your car is a 2002. I bought my car in Nov. 1997 and at that time i had test driven many cars, and the factory Monsoon at that time was one of the BEST Factory radios on the market. My speakers were just old so i replaced them with afternarket speakers that are real good right now but in 5 or 10 years???

Navy Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 Conv

I've got all the paperwork on the car showing it was an original Monsoon system but it was a late 2002 (June) build and maybe they just stuck in a non labled head unit or maybe there was a problem with the original unit. Car still has just over 7000 miles so it is in like new condition throughout. It didn't show as a warranty replacement on my VIN search but who knows. I'll get out and look in the back for the amp to see if it is still there.

Mostly I suspect that either the unit was an unlabled factory install or replaced due to a fault later.

SOM
    2002 SS

I picked up my 01 last year with Monsoon and the logo was just barely left on the screen. I wiped it lightly and now its gone but I knew it was there.

pewter
    99 trans am

I've got all the paperwork on the car showing it was an original Monsoon system but it was a late 2002 (June) build and maybe they just stuck in a non labled head unit or maybe there was a problem with the original unit. Car still has just over 7000 miles so it is in like new condition throughout. It didn't show as a warranty replacement on my VIN search but who knows. I'll get out and look in the back for the amp to see if it is still there.

Mostly I suspect that either the unit was an unlabled factory install or replaced due to a fault later.
    hey is that your garage in your avatar? if so, what kinda toys you got in there? also, lets see some pics of that vert!!

Navy Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 Conv

Wish it was my garage. That was the dealership in Chicago where I bought my car. They deal in a bunch of high end or specialty cars. I'll take some pics and post when I get some good weather.

navy blue
    2002 camaro ss

I have a 2002 ss nbm camaro and the radio says monsoon on it right above the bass and treble knobs

Thread Information