Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Bye-bye cruise module

Thanks to Jaison, I did something tonight I never would have thought of. Get your mind out of the gutter -- it's an appearance mod, not something you do with a box of Lucky Charms.

I have never liked the cables strung across the engine bay. I didn't know you could do anything with them until Jaison mentioned hiding the control unit behind the PCM. I hate to admit it, but he was right -- it fits perfectly and could not have been easier to do.

I already had my PCM out as it took a trip to Frost recently. All I did was unbolt the cruise module, removed the bracket and applied some self-adhesive foam to prevent rattles. The plastic cable bracket that attaches to the AC hose was also removed. I then removed a bolt in the firewall and used it to secure a cable clamp with the eyelet parallel to the ground.

I then inserted two (2) nylon zip ties through the cable clamp and carefully worked the module into place. I ran both zip ties around the motor so that they act to hold the housing up and snugged them down. The cables in the engine bay then tuck beneath the cowl and are essentially out of sight.

I will most likely do the wire hide mod as well. If not, I simply need to extend the harness a bit (which I may have to do even with the hide mod) and plug the cruise conrol module back in. This little mod cleans up the look of the engine bay quite a bit.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Nice job Jeff.

Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

Yeah, I did that mod a few months ago, and I love it!!!

Good job.

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Thanks to Jaison, I did something tonight I never would have thought of. Get your mind out of the gutter -- it's an appearance mod, not something you do with a box of Lucky Charms.

I have never liked the cables strung across the engine bay. I didn't know you could do anything with them until Jaison mentioned hiding the control unit behind the PCM. I hate to admit it, but he was right -- it fits perfectly and could not have been easier to do.

I already had my PCM out as it took a trip to Frost recently. All I did was unbolt the cruise module, removed the bracket and applied some self-adhesive foam to prevent rattles. The plastic cable bracket that attaches to the AC hose was also removed. I then removed a bolt in the firewall and used it to secure a cable clamp with the eyelet parallel to the ground.

Click for full size

I then inserted two (2) nylon zip ties through the cable clamp and carefully worked the module into place. I ran both zip ties around the motor so that they act to hold the housing up and snugged them down. The cables in the engine bay then tuck beneath the cowl and are essentially out of sight.

Click for full size

I will most likely do the wire hide mod as well. If not, I simply need to extend the harness a bit (which I may have to do even with the hide mod) and plug the cruise conrol module back in. This little mod cleans up the look of the engine bay quite a bit.
    appearance mods on a dirty engine is like winning the special olympics. LMAO...that's for the lucky charms bit bro!

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by third_shift|studios View Post
    appearance mods on a dirty engine is like winning the special olympics. LMAO...that's for the lucky charms bit bro!

Just a bit dusty from the garage. Once the weather breaks she'll shine again.

Blue 1997 Trans Am(Sold)
    Pewter 2001 Trans Am Vert

this is awesome, I always knew about this mod but never thought it was so "user friendly" Now that I see how simple it is its DEFINATELY on the list! thanks again

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Started the wire hide mod this evening. Had to go buy a 1-3/4" holesaw as I do not have one. As soon as the teeth hit metal it jumped and I broke the center drill bit. Fortunately, I have lots of those, so I just installed another one and made it through on my second attempt.

I'm not finished, but it looks a whole lot better already just having the wiring out of there. Tomorrow, I'll run the wires through and install a rubber gromet with a little weatherstrip adhesive. Will have to figure out what to do with the ugly holes left in the top now. Yes, the car is dusty...

Blue 1997 Trans Am(Sold)

This is a good thread, and I couldn't remember where I saw it.

This would be really useful as a sticky

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Bouvers View Post
    This is a good thread, and I couldn't remember where I saw it.

This would be really useful as a sticky

Agreed and added to museum

Silver
    2007 CTS-V

If Jaison can do this. Anyone should be able to.

Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by SandmanWs7 View Post
    If Jaison can do this. Anyone should be able to.
    Well, it's easy for him, what with his small hands and being able to climb into his engine bay.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I extended the wire harness for the cruise control module tonight as I was re-connecting everything from underneath. The wire hide mod is just plain slick imo. I did not measure, but the pieces I spliced in were probably 14-16" in length and that gave me plenty to reach the cruise module. No butt connectors, the ends were twisted, soldered and covered with shrink tube.

Blue 1997 Trans Am(Sold)

very nice work man! Really looking forward to doing this to my baby.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Nice work Jeff! I've been thinking of moving my ignition module (coil packs) to a new location so they don't cover the valve cover but I can seem to think of a place to mount them without chopping the harness up..
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    Nice work Jeff! I've been thinking of moving my ignition module (coil packs) to a new location so they don't cover the valve cover but I can seem to think of a place to mount them without chopping the harness up..

I agree that they need to go on our car too -- especially after I took the time to polish the rocker covers. The hassle of relocating the coil packs is part of what motivated me to buy a set of FRCs.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    I agree that they need to go on our car too -- especially after I took the time to polish the rocker covers. The hassle of relocating the coil packs is part of what motivated me to buy a set of FRCs.
    I'm planning on painting my covers for a alittle more bling under the hood. But that stupid coil location sucks. The base of the pack mnt, is almost as long as my valve covers and it's also slightly wider than the covers too. It's location imho is going to just cover all my appearance work ugh..

Blue 1997 Trans Am(Sold)

If you're concerned about hiding your coil packs, there is a company out there that produced a kit that relocates them under the cowl. I can't remember the name though.

Wait.........WHAT??!! LoneGunman's Avatar

Hugger Orange
    '99 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Bouvers View Post
    If you're concerned about hiding your coil packs, there is a company out there that produced a kit that relocates them under the cowl. I can't remember the name though.
    Thunder Racing sells them. $210 for the whole shootin' match. I don't know if FRC's would fit with this kit though.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I will have to check them out, thanks for the info. I do like the look of the FRC's, so for now I will keep the coils where they are. Could be next winter's project though.

Tonight, before sliding the PCM home, I also mounted the harness for the cruise module. I didn't want it hanging free back there where it might create a rattle. The metal tab on it simply folds over and I used a small washer along with an existing bolt on the AC housing to mount it. Looks like this now:

white
    2000 Z28

nice

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information