• Blended dino/synthetic off the shelf

17 3.48%
  • I mix my own

6 1.23%
Page 51 of 70 FirstFirst ... 112131474849505152535455 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,020 of 1385

Black
    2001 Camaro SS 1LE

I knew I was probably going to keep my new '01 SS for a long time, so I started using Full-Synthetic at 10,000 miles. I was told by the Dali-Lama that I needed to wait for the engine to be fully broken in before switching to Synthetic. Who knows if he was right, but he does have a fleet of Race Cars!

I have used Royal Purple, Valvoline Syn-Power, and Castrol Syn-Tech, all 10W-30. Just a few weeks ago, I decided to try Castrol EDGE (A 5 Quart bottle was on sale at a local store for $26.00 !!), to see what all the hype was about, although you really need to tear down your engine BEFORE and AFTER using it to get any type of meaningfull results. Who is going to do that unless they have no choice??

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by sjsingle1 View Post
    dont think you put zmax in the gas..........no?
    Yes, they have a bottle to pour into the gas tank, too.

silver
    2000 formula

LOL........never used zmax......it must be.........zjunk

Post Proper Break-in

Quote Originally Posted by NastySS View Post
    I knew I was probably going to keep my new '01 SS for a long time, so I started using Full-Synthetic at 10,000 miles. I was told by the Dali-Lama that I needed to wait for the engine to be fully broken in before switching to Synthetic. Who knows if he was right, but he does have a fleet of Race Cars!
    Although I have not personally seen them, I've heard that Comp Cams has done studies in which they claim it's best to break-in flat-tappet camshafts with conventional high zinc motor oil before switching to synthetic.

Keep in mind its important know the applications they are referring to; older cars with race oriented flat-tappet camshafts.

New LS1 engines don't come with flat-tappet camshafts. This why if you buy a brand new Corvette, it comes factory filled with synthetic motor oil.

GM as well as other auto makers are not concerned about breaking in a new engine with synthetic motor oil.

CompSyn

Hello, I need some help. I just bought 02 WS6 with only 21k miles mostly stock. I will mod it with bolt-ons, no internals anytime soon. I've owned it for about 3 weeks. It's been running with mobil1 synthetic 5w30 since day one. I want to switch to the BEST oil and oil filter for my engine. It's my weekend driver and I RARELY race the car and cruise a LOT more than I ever drive hard.

"Arrest Me Red"
    2001 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Gohard View Post
    Hello, I need some help. I just bought 02 WS6 with only 21k miles mostly stock. I will mod it with bolt-ons, no internals anytime soon. I've owned it for about 3 weeks. It's been running with mobil1 synthetic 5w30 since day one. I want to switch to the BEST oil and oil filter for my engine. It's my weekend driver and I RARELY race the car and cruise a LOT more than I ever drive hard.
    my car is like your and i like amsoil 0-30 sig oil and there ea oil filter. if you look back a page or two you will find what i am talking about.

here you go this is what i was talking about
    Quote Originally Posted by 01 T/A View Post
    sarge and compsyn im going to start putting amsoil in my ta. it has just 14 k on it and there is a lot to chose from so what one do i want to buy? the local dealer wants me to buy the Signature Series 0W-30 is this the one i want or is there a better one for are cars? also how dose the amsoil oil filter stack up the a k&n?
    Quote Originally Posted by CompSyn View Post
    Thumbs up on the 0W-30 in your T/A! On the oil filter, the Amsoil unit is 100% glass media and the K&N is paper cellulose. The glass filter is much better.

CompSyn
    Quote Originally Posted by 01 T/A View Post
    what is the amsoil part#'s i need for the oil and air filters for a 01 trans am?
    Last edited by 0verkill; 06-23-2010 at 04:48 AM.

Big thanks! Whoa they're a lot alike^ Mines is red too!
    And we have pretty much the same climate so I should use this signature oil? http://www.amsoil.com/catalog.aspx?GroupID=177

Man this stuff is expensive! Could I slide using a different filter (Wix)? Maybe I should just keep it all from amsoil.

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Was introduced to a product called swepco 502. A friend uses it in his miata's he rents out(amongst others) at Laguna seca and recommended it to me for my noisy lifters (I understand it's the nature of our cars but I was intrigued if it would cure it). Supposedly the Porsche guy's like it however I know that additives can also harm a motor. Any experience with this product?

2016 Camaro SS - Summit
    2001 Trans Am WS6 - NBM

And we have pretty much the same climate so I should use this signature oil? http://www.amsoil.com/catalog.aspx?GroupID=177

Man this stuff is expensive! Could I slide using a different filter (Wix)? Maybe I should just keep it all from amsoil.
    It's expensive on the short run, but on the long much cheaper. You don't have to change it out NEAR as often. I believe it's once a year or 15,000 miles or so. I use the 0w-30 and Ea oil filter on my DD SS with 184k miles, it cured a slight smoke I had going on within the first few weeks. Good stuff!

2016 Summit White 1SS - The DD - Mishimoto catch can, Solo axleback & secondary cat delete, LED sidemarkers & reverse lights, head/taillight blackout, RCC custom badges
    2001 NBM Trans Am WS6 - Torquer V2 cam, Yank 3000 stall, Transgo kit, Racetronix fuel pump, TSP LTs, Magnaflow catback, Strano Springs/Koni STR.T shocks, 17x9.5/17x11 TTII's
    2000 Arctic White SS #1667 - Sold

"Arrest Me Red"
    2001 trans am

thats it and i keep it all amsoil stuff filters and all. they have a discount programe that i am part of and get with copsyn for more info. it may not be right for you but i use alot of there stuff. i run it in my ta, the wifes jeep gets amsoil stuff as well and i just piced up a gmc duramax that i will change over when i have the cash.

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by sjsingle1 View Post
    LOL........never used zmax......it must be.........zjunk
    It is pretty much just mineral oil with a bunch of marketing hype.

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

That is EXCELLENT oil. A little pricey for some, but how much is your baby worth?

Quote Originally Posted by GatorSS View Post
    That is EXCELLENT oil. A little pricey for some, but how much is your baby worth?
    She's priceless! Yes it's a little pricey but for the best quality it's worth it to keep my engine happy! I only want the best for my ride. Seriously!

White
    2001 Z28

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

PP is great oil for the price. Perhaps the best Group III oil on the shelf. Certainly one of the best.

I was thinking of flushing the tranny and rear end fulids as well. Car has been just sitting for 5 years (driven 1k miles a year). Should I just go with amsoil on that too? What do the experts recommend?

Should I just go for the Pennzoil platinum 5w30? It's $4 here at the parts store. What I want know is it justified to pay the extra $6 a quart to go with Amsoil. I have no problem going either route.

Post Value per dollar...

Should I just go for the Pennzoil platinum 5w30? It's $4 here at the parts store. What I want know is it justified to pay the extra $6 a quart to go with Amsoil. I have no problem going either route.

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Quote Originally Posted by CompSyn View Post
    Click for full size
    Can you explain what the graph means? You know anything about swepco 502 engine oil improver? It doesn't seem Sarge is coming back.

Post NOACK Volatility Test

Quote Originally Posted by c5z28 View Post
    Can you explain what the graph means? You know anything about swepco 502 engine oil improver? It doesn't seem Sarge is coming back.
    "The NOACK Volatility Test determines the evaporation loss of lubricants in high temperature service. The more motor oils vaporize, the thicker and heavier they become, contributing to poor circulation, reduced fuel economy and increased oil consumption, wear and emissions." - Source Cited link

So the LOWER the NOACK Volatility percentage, the more stable the motor oil in high temperature extremes.

Page 51 of 70 FirstFirst ... 112131474849505152535455 ... LastLast

Thread Information