40 8.20%
  • Blended dino/synthetic off the shelf

17 3.48%
  • I mix my own

6 1.23%
Page 5 of 70 FirstFirst 12345678925354555 ... LastLast
    Rhino21149
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackHawk T/A
    . . . I can't find 0W-40 here . . . What do you guys recommend I stick with? This is an 01 with 73k miles.
    I would look harder for a OW-40. Advanced Auto and Napa both carry it here in NC. And there are internet places you can order it (discount prices just about pay for the shipping cost).

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Another thing to consider is an oil cooler...cheap and easy install...less that $150.....this keeps oil temps down and allows you to run "thinner" viscosity oils....

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

Hey Sarge, it's great to have you around. You know your stuff.

BlackHawk T/A
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarge
    Hey Husker....Forgive me if I point out the obvious on Mobil Clean 5000.....it is 100% Dino Oil.....Havoline at 1.25 a quart kicks the living shit out of it....my major problem with Mobil Clean 5000 is the level of sodium in it...yes ....salt...Once a year oil changes are scary....ever hear of condensation? With that few of miles you never get the oil temps up to burn it off and with that few of miles a year you will never burn off the condensation in your engine......So with that said...you need to seriously consider a synthetic and twice a year oil changes....I don't care if you never drive it...twice a year just to get the condensation out.......look at Amsoil 0-30 or Pennzoil Platinum 10-30...a really good oil right now is Phillips 66 10-30 Synthetic for a $1.00 at Dollar Tree or WalMart...excellent VOA's.....use any filter but a Fram and your good to go...yes even a SuperTech Filter is better than a a Fram....
    Think about starting your baby up and letting her idle/run for at least 30-45 minutes to get up to operating temps during the "off season".......do this at least once a month......as for the viscosity.......stay in the 0-30 or 10-30 range...stay away from 5-30 which is the thinnest oil you can get outside of 5-20..........I'll stand by for the Internet experts
    Thanks Sarge, I wasn't aware it was dino oil. I will take it back for sure. I guess it didn't click when I realized it was 1/3 the price. I think you're right about the Amsoil 0-30, i'll look around for it. I have a Purolator filter waiting so I hope that's good enough. Oil cooler is something I would like but it will have to wait until the next change, it needs a change now and there is a lack of funds for mods at the moment. The last guy had some Conoco 10-30 put in it about 3k miles ago so I need to get that out of there.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Well there is nothing wrong with Dino Oil now....seriously....just that the Mobil 5000 is overpriced for what it is......Amsoil you have to buy from their website or a local dealer......so....If I were you and all things considered....I think I would do one of two things for your ride man...And for the record Purolator is a great filter....good filtration and flow.....anyway...I would do one of two things....
    Synthetic....
    1. Go to WalMart or damn near any Auto Store and get the required amount of 10-30 Pennzoil Platinum. My second choice would be Castrol 0-30. Should be around $3.99- $4.99 a quart.
    2. Dino .....Havoline 10-40 or Castrol GTX 10-40. Both excellent oils.....$1.50 a quart mebbe.
    I wish more people were as "aware" of the oils as you are...ask questions...lots of em That is how we all learn....
    Last edited by Sarge; 09-19-2005 at 06:22 AM.

Amsoil is available @ NAPA & Carquest in my area. Don't know if this means all chains have picked it up, but, it's a start.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by LS1-450
    Amsoil is available @ NAPA & Carquest in my area. Don't know if this means all chains have picked it up, but, it's a start.
    Nah it means that particular store is an Amsoil dealer...Amsoil will never bypass their dealer network and go direct with a chain...if they do they are out of business...like Amway or Mary Kay

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

Sarge, since I have noticed that you are quite knowledgeable about oils and have a great amount of experience, I'd like to get your opinion on some oil stuff. I take it that you are a big fan of Amsoil, right? I have never used any of their products (not yet, that is), but am considering it. Do you think it is the best oil available in general, and specifically for the LSX engines? Why?

Another oil opinion to ask: What is your opinion of Mobil 1 0w40, relative to the above, and relative to other oils?

Oil filter question: Like you, I stay away from Fram filters. I have been using K&N oil filters for a while. What filter do you consider the best, aside from the Amsoil set up (which I presume you prefer and for valid reasons, I'm sure)? Why? Also, what is your opinion of the K&N oil filters?

Thanks in advance. Your input is greatly appreciated.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by GatorSS
    Sarge, since I have noticed that you are quite knowledgeable about oils and have a great amount of experience, I'd like to get your opinion on some oil stuff. I take it that you are a big fan of Amsoil, right? I have never used any of their products (not yet, that is), but am considering it. Do you think it is the best oil available in general, and specifically for the LSX engines? Why?

Another oil opinion to ask: What is your opinion of Mobil 1 0w40, relative to the above, and relative to other oils?

Oil filter question: Like you, I stay away from Fram filters. I have been using K&N oil filters for a while. What filter do you consider the best, aside from the Amsoil set up (which I presume you prefer and for valid reasons, I'm sure)? Why? Also, what is your opinion of the K&N oil filters?

Thanks in advance. Your input is greatly appreciated.
    Hey Gator.....I'll take a shot ...however I will preface it with this statement.
    There is no best....so much depends on your driving habits/oil change intervals/geographic/enviromental conditions etc.....also the oils to day are so superior to what we had 25-30 years ago that it becomes difficult to differentiate what advantages oil "a" has over oil "b" in the real world anymore.....oil "a" has .000001 bearing wear and oil "b" has .0000011 bearing wear...oil "a" cost $8.00 a quart and oil "b" cost $1.50 a quart...........what I am saying is the average Joe Shmoe driving around in his/her grocery getter is just fine with a SuperTech filter and TropArtic 10-30 pumping around...and changing the oil and filter every 5000 miles. But you ask some straightforward questions and I'll give it a shot. Yes I have studied oil till my eyeballs have fallen out....and yes I have many years experience with muscle cars and "hang out" with some top notch wrenches and engine builders......so here we go....I'll keep it specific to LSX motors if that's OK.....
    CAFE/EPA has had a significant influence on todays manufacturers engine oil recommendations. No doubt about it. These fleet rules....ie....MPG/Pollution specific....GM will recommend the thinnest oil they can get their engineers to agree too....that is with GM lawyers/marketing/compliance people sitting on their heads saying here sign this geek! But....that doesn't mean your engine is getting maximum protection nor putting out maximum performance.....let me give you an example you can research on your own......
    I have a 04 GTO...LS1....GM recommends 5-30 Dino.....but the exact same car ...with the exact same engine in Australia.....they recommend 20-50....WTF? Australia is no hotter than South Texas....same motor....EPA/CAFE is what drives that.....the LSX motors love a thicker oil....cSt@100c of between 11.0-14.0......is what your looking for in a viscosity for your LSX.
    Now to get to your question specific. Do I think Amsoil is the best?
    Mebbe...I think Amsoil is one of the top oils out there for our rides for sure. I use Amsoil 0-30 in my modified LS1. Great results.....however...I think Castrol 0-30 (the 05 stuff and the GC "green" stuff) is very close.....my top 5 synthetics for LSX specific motors would look like this....based on Used Oil Analysis/Virgin Oil Analysis and experience......
    1. Amsoil
    2. Castrol SynTec
    3. Red Line
    4. Mobil 1
    5. Pennzoil Platinum

Top 5 Dino Oils
    1. Valvoline
    2. Castrol GTX
    3. Pennzoil
    4. Havoline
    5. Chevron

Filters.....
    1. Mobil 1
    2. Amsoil
    3. KN
    4. NAPA Gold
    5. Purolator

Mobil 1 0-40 is great.....use it knowing you are using some of the best base stock and additive packs out there.....I "hear" it thins after awhile.....that is why I sorta stay away from it...that and I can get Amsoil as cheap as Mobil 1 and Amsoil just kick the hell out of Mobil 1 in all the various stress test they do on oils......but the fact remains Mobil 1 0-40 is a great oil...just overpriced.
    Filters I listed above....at the end of the day I believe there are only 3 manufacturers making all the filters in the world....KN is a great flowing/filtering filter......and I love the lil 1" nut on the bottom

Bottom line and in summary....use any of the above products...and yes you can see price doesn't really come into play...as you can get top of the line performance and protection with Dino Havoline 10-40 with a Purolator filter....just a fact...want the best....Amsoil with a Mobil 1 filter is gonna be tough...very tough to beat.....but high end cost or low end of any combination of the above oils/filters...your gonna be good to go.....for a long time Get your oil analyzed by Blackstone Labs and that will tell you what your oil change intervals should be and that also will tweak your viscosity choices to perfection....it cost 20 bucks and is well worth it......hope this helps some....

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

Thanks a bunch, Sarge. I understand about how driving habits/oil change intervals/geographic/enviromental conditions etc factor into the oil decision, but aside from that, I wanted an opinion from someone more experienced than I am from my years of "tinkering" (as some might call it) since I was probably 10 years old (small outboard motors at that time). Your educated opinion is very informative and helpful, not only to me, but for all who will take the time to read your post. I hope the much younger ones on this site realize how valuable a resource you are.

I asked for your opinion on Mobil 1 0w40 and K&N oil filters since I have been using them on my LSX vehicles since their first oil changes (all bought new--haven't bought a used vehicle in 18 years). I chose Mobil 1 0w40 for the reasons you mentioned, but if I could get Amsoil for the same price, you bet I would buy the Amsoil. So, how do you get it at that price? Are you a dealer?

Also, do you use the Amsoil bypass filter system? Do you use an oil cooler?

Thanks again.

BlackHawk T/A
    Just to throw this out there...Patman said the Mobil 1 filter isn't that great (over on LS2). What he said was the K&N was a lot better. Now I don't go believing everything everyone says without some proof but hes been a known oil freak for years.

What do you say to that?

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Thanks for your kind words .....I appreciate it.....
    I am a prefered customer of Amsoil.....then you get it for the dealer price....
    big discount.....yes I have a Perma Cool Oil Cooler....temps rarely see above 180-190 even in summer traffic.....I also have the Perma Cool Remote Dual filter setup and run two large filters.....so I am running close to 8 quarts in the sump.....As for the above Patman comment...yeah he is a really good guy.....The oil filter debates usually boil down to restriction vs. flow.....the more filtering you get the higher the restriction and the less flow....the more flow the less filtering....you get the picture....different driving habits and setups of course result in different filter choices......Patman's vette is stock (pretty sure)...my GTO isnt...so of course we use different setups/filters etc. He utilizes a single filter I run duals as mentioned above......

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

How difficult is installing the Perma Cool Oil Cooler and Remote Dual filter setup? As I take my LSX's further away from stock, that kind of setup and the increased oil capacity becomes more necessary and beneficial, thus desirable (obviously). For now, but not for long, the stock oil setup is all I have upon which to rely. So, as I approach installing such a setup, naturally I want to know the easiest way to install it.

What did it take to become a preferred customer of Amsoil? Large quantity purchase?

And, yes, I agree with Sarge that Patman is a good guy, as I've read his writings on oil for several years. But I like to get opinions on things from more than one knowledgeable source.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Hey Gator.....I remember the prefered customer being about $20 a year...for that you get 20% off everything plus some periodic discounts on stuff...hell I saved my 20 bucks back prety quick..... here is the link, https://www.amsoil.com/AmsoilLogin/PreferredApp.aspx
    The dual oil filters and oil cooler make a huge difference no doubt.....I didnt see what kind of car you have but if I can get it on the 04 GTO (no room at all) anybody can install them.....I used the steel mesh hoses and it really is a very clean install..... I bought the cooler and remore dual filters from JEGS...
    here is the link...
    http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerc...14&prmenbr=361
    http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerc...91&prmenbr=361
    Coule of pics...first one is the oil cooler....

this one is the backside of the dual filter brackets.....

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by BlackHawk T/A
    Just to throw this out there...Patman said the Mobil 1 filter isn't that great (over on LS2). What he said was the K&N was a lot better. Now I don't go believing everything everyone says without some proof but hes been a known oil freak for years.

What do you say to that?
    Just another thought on this....Patman is running a stock LS1...so he is using that lil bitty filter....I run the Perma Cool Dual Filter setup...with two LARGE (FL1A type) filters......just food for thought...

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

Thanks for the links. Oh, forgot to mention the cars and I guess I could at least put the first of my LSX vehicles in my user profile section (which I'll do after this post). The one on which I'm wanting to upgrade the oil setup is my 2000 Camaro SS. The newer F-bodies will get it later.

How long did the install take for the Perma Cool Oil Cooler and Remote Dual filter setup?

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by GatorSS
    Thanks for the links. Oh, forgot to mention the cars and I guess I could at least put the first of my LSX vehicles in my user profile section (which I'll do after this post). The one on which I'm wanting to upgrade the oil setup is my 2000 Camaro SS. The newer F-bodies will get it later.

How long did the install take for the Perma Cool Oil Cooler and Remote Dual filter setup?
    Mebbe three four hours tops.....about a 12 pack
    I mounted the oil cooler and filters first....oil cooler in front of the radiator....using the 4 nylon doohickeys Perma Cool will supply you.....fairly easy....little cussing involved as Pontiac left enough room to spit The oil filters I made a little bracket as you can see and mounted them on the engine side of the wheel well.....from there the sandwhich adapter screw right on...
    then it is just a matter of running the hoses and connecting it all up.....be sure you get the in/out right On the oil cooler you do not need the kit...just the cooler.....NAPA sells the steel mesh hoses.....I remember them as 1/2"
    Easy and cheap and big difference in your oil temps for sure....
    On second thought.....you do need this.... http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerc...94&prmenbr=361
    It will go out the adapter to the filters...then to the cooler and back to the adaptor.
    Last edited by Sarge; 09-21-2005 at 12:24 PM.

Just another thought on this....Patman is running a stock LS1...so he is using that lil bitty filter....I run the Perma Cool Dual Filter setup...with two LARGE (FL1A type) filters......just food for thought...

Any problems with the oil pump while running two filters? Shouldn't the type of oil pump used in a specific car be evaluated to ensure that it can handle the restriction on the outlet or inlet side of the pump depending on where the dual filters are mounted? Any oil pump failures?

Isn't the greatest engine wear experienced @ start up before oil pressure has been established which is why a pre-oiler can be considered a more effective engine wear deterent than oil filtration? Pre-oilers can also prevent the loss of engine lubrication caused by oil pump cavitation while driving aggressively w/ a baffleless oil pan.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by LS1-450
    Any problems with the oil pump while running two filters? Shouldn't the type of oil pump used in a specific car be evaluated to ensure that it can handle the restriction on the outlet or inlet side of the pump depending on where the dual filters are mounted? Any oil pump failures?

Isn't the greatest engine wear experienced @ start up before oil pressure has been established which is why a pre-oiler can be considered a more effective engine wear deterent than oil filtration? Pre-oilers can also prevent the loss of engine lubrication caused by oil pump cavitation while driving aggressively w/ a baffleless oil pan.
    The oil pressure is fine...I watch that closely...yes I agree....dry start ups is where the wear takes place.....That is why I stick with the 0-30 synthetics and let her warm up good before I even put it in gear....I am at 500RWHP and 600 lbs of torque right now and have had absolutely zero oil pressure/or temp issues at all.....

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

.... On second thought.....you do need this.... http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerc...94&prmenbr=361
    It will go out the adapter to the filters...then to the cooler and back to the adaptor.
    Since that GM sandwich adpater mounts between the oil filter and the filter landing and still requires use of the stock oil filter, you use three oil filters (the two large remote ones and the stock one)? Or is that link for a different adapter than the one you use and you actually do not still use the stock filter? I don't really like the sandwich adapters because they cause the stock filter to sit even lower, and since I use the longer filter this could really cause a problem with ground clearance. I don't want it to get hit.

Also, what is your opinion of the Amsoil bypass system vs. the Perma Cool remote filter system?

Page 5 of 70 FirstFirst 12345678925354555 ... LastLast

Thread Information