Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    It's time to order up the exhaust -- thanks again Hi-Po for the great write up. I think I have this figured out, but just to be sure... Is the only difference between Kooks "race headers" and "emission headers" (for an '02) whether or not they have a secondary air tube?

I am deleting the secondary air system and rear O2's, and the PCM will be taking a trip to Frost. Therefore, I think I want to go with the headers you posted the pic of in order to gain an extra O2 bung for later use. This would be the 1-7/8" to 3" headers into a catted Y so I stay at least semi-legal. Any known concerns with the Kooks cats?
    Yes Jeff, as far as I know, that is the difference. For sure get the extra bung, It might be a standard option thing now for the Kooks. I personally have no experience with any aftermarket cat's. Being that they are aftermarket, and smaller, you might run into some catalyst inefficiency codes being thrown. Nothing that couldnt be tuned out though.

Silver 2002 WS.6
    Red 1989 Formula

I put in my Pacesetter lt's last weekend and till now no complaints, they went in easy. I just had to bang the firewall a little on the driver side but other than that they were pretty simple to do. They're good in my book and for $280 shipped, I can't complain the paint is peeling off but oh well..

Red
    2001 ws6

Quote Originally Posted by silverWS.6 View Post
    I put in my Pacesetter lt's last weekend and till now no complaints, they went in easy. I just had to bang the firewall a little on the driver side but other than that they were pretty simple to do. They're good in my book and for $280 shipped, I can't complain the paint is peeling off but oh well..
    y bang the firewall? what was in the way that they wouldnt go in

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by basballny2 View Post
    Most likely clearance issues when installed
    Some headers get pretty close to the firewall and clearance is tight
    Thats why motor mounts should always be a consideration when doing them

Silver 2002 WS.6
    Red 1989 Formula

Quote Originally Posted by basballny2 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tatertot91 View Post
    Most likely clearance issues when installed
    Some headers get pretty close to the firewall and clearance is tight
    Thats why motor mounts should always be a consideration when doing them
    It wasn't issues with the header banging once it was installed, it was just getting it in was impossible cause it would hit on both ends when trying to squeeze it in to get it on. It would hit where the last bolt on top of the #7 sparkplug goes so with a little banging to the firewall maybe like a section of 1'x2' and it slid right in, it was nothing major. Ill try to get pics of it when I get my computer back. I really can't explain without pics

Red
    98 Trans Am

had the same with my OBX headers. A very small section on the driver side had to be banged a little. The flange was catching on it. other than that, the OBX LT headers (stand alone) are like a direct replica of Pacetters only in stainless. and polished

Red
    98 Trans Am

im not sure if this has been mentioned but i think its worth mentioning that on 98 Fbodys, you dont have to take off ALL of your coils. only the first 3 on the passenger side. I didnt even take off the last wire until i had the exhaust maifold unbolted on the passengerside. I didnt take any coils off on the driver side. Just unbolt the AIR and remove the sparkplug wires, and plugs. Also, remove the back sparkplug in the rear passenger side last, after you have already removed the old manifold. (if you are replacing your plugs.. which you should.) then before puttin goyu r new headers in, put in your new plug in the rear and then go to town... just a recommendation. Made my install soooo easy doing it this way.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by JoshuaGrooms83 View Post
    had the same with my OBX headers. A very small section on the driver side had to be banged a little. The flange was catching on it. other than that, the OBX LT headers (stand alone) are like a direct replica of Pacetters only in stainless. and polished
    Cool, that should help solve some of the questions about OBX headers. We need guys to post up their opinions and thoughts on the cheaper ($$) headers, as they get asked about often. Need to get just a few solid, detailed reviews on the Ebay Options. That long thread on them is nice, but has too much non sense in it to gain a good idea on fit/finish of the Options.

If anyone has a thorough, well detailed review on the Ebay Options, it would be nice to have some for a quick reference.

Red
    98 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    Cool, that should help solve some of the questions about OBX headers. We need guys to post up their opinions and thoughts on the cheaper ($$) headers, as they get asked about often. Need to get just a few solid, detailed reviews on the Ebay Options. That long thread on them is nice, but has too much non sense in it to gain a good idea on fit/finish of the Options.

If anyone has a thorough, well detailed review on the Ebay Options, it would be nice to have some for a quick reference.
    I could do a somwhat detailed install on the OBX headers. Ill make a new thread. it could also help out the guys with 98 f-bodys seeing how we get left on the way side sometime cause our cars where first and had "lets see what this does" stuff pretty much red headed step children. Hell, they dont even like making hand held tuners for us lol not that i would recommend one

Black
    1998 Trans Am Ws6

I thought the obx were modeled of kooks

Red
    98 Trans Am

I dont know what they where orginally got thier design from, but this is just my opinion that they llok very simular to pacesetter headers

Black
    1998 Trans Am Ws6

Yea I wasnt to sure either that's just what I have heard

Blue & Black
    2010 ctsc

This thread rocks. I'm a complete newb and decided to step up my game to a corvette. This thread has been a tremendous help.

hooker makes a 1 7/8 coated (race) header also....i never seen there SS headers

black
    02 Camaro SLP SS

Nice helpfull write up. Thanks

Black
    2002 Pontiac Firebird WS6

Is there any place on this site or youtube perhaps that gives a video step by step walk through to install headers for LS1?

Quote Originally Posted by AFWS6 View Post
    Is there any place on this site or youtube perhaps that gives a video step by step walk through to install headers for LS1?
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117548

try that thread out, see if it helps you out some

black
    01 FIREBIRD WS6

Im wondering if i cant get the slp kit LT ypipe with cats. I live in ohio and my county only does a visual inspection on the cats, and plugs into the pcm to check for codes.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Do NOT get the SLP headers. Garbage quality. Do a quick search on this site, and I'm sure you'll find one complaint after another. I don't know the laws in Ohio, but you can get cats to pass a Sniffer Test and have the codes deleted to pass a diagnostic check easily. Just stay away from just about anything SLP.

sold: 1999 firebird
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    Do NOT get the SLP headers. Garbage quality. Do a quick search on this site, and I'm sure you'll find one complaint after another. I don't know the laws in Ohio, but you can get cats to pass a Sniffer Test and have the codes deleted to pass a diagnostic check easily. Just stay away from just about anything SLP.
    +1

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information