Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

CTS-V Install w/ pics

I installed my CTS-V/Z06 brake setup today and I figured I might as well take some pics and make a writeup while I'm at it, since there are so many questions surrounding the conversion and whats needed. Please feel free to add info and correct anything that you think may not be right.

Here you go:

1. Whats needed:

A set of 2004-2007 CTS-V Calipers (Brembo) or 2006+ Corvette Z06 Calipers (PBR). The CTS-V Calipers are 4 piston, the Z06 calipers are 6 piston. However, its been said that the 4 piston Brembo (CTS-V) are better suited to track duty than the Corvette calipers, but its your pick. Both bolt up the same. These can be found on GM Parts Direct, or eBay.

A pair of 2006+ Corvette Z06 Rotors. Part # 19121787. These can be had for a total of $239 shipped (for both) from GM Parts Direct.

Brake Hoses. These are must be custom tailored to this application, because the stock lines nor the Corvette/CTS lines will fit properly. These can be obtained for $75 from Flynbye Performance LLC.

You will also need some other misc. parts that I will mention later. These include copper brake hose washers, (8) Grade 8 M12 or 1/2" washers, DOT 3/4 Brake Fluid, and possibly wheel spacers.

Tools required include a full socket set with ratchets, a ft/lb torque wrench, 12mm and 7/16 line wrenches, jack and jackstands (or lift).

2. Wheel Clearance:

If you have stock 56mm offset wheels, they WILL NOT clear either caliper. You will either need to get wheels with a 41mm or less offset, or get wheel spacers. I just purchased stock offset rims, so I went with the wheel spacer option. More on that later.

3. The Install:

Heres what my stock caliper and rotor looked like after years of abuse. I purchased this car 3 years ago, and this is the first time I'm doing the front brakes.

First order was to get all the old stuff off. You can remove the caliper bracket and caliper as one assembly, just remove the 2 bolts holding the bracket to the spindle, pry the caliper off the rotor (mine was stuck due to the huge rust lip on the outer edge of the rotor) and set the caliper on a bungee cord for support. Leave it connected for now. Rotors were rusted to the hubs, a few good blows with a rubber mallet freed them and they were off. Lots of rust on the floor.

New rotor next to old rotor:

Now comes time for changing wheel studs if you don't have the offset on your wheels to clear the calipers. This was the worst part of the job, pounding out the old studs with a sledgehammer (regular hammer wouldn't do it) and installing the new ones. The studs were very rusty and corroded, so I soaked them in PB Blaster before attempting to remove them.

Studs out:

Next install the new studs. I ordered the Eibach Pro-Spacer 15mm 1967-02 Camaro hub centric wheel spacer kit to give me sufficient clearance. The difference between my wheels and the Corvette wheel offset is 16mm, so 15mm is still plenty of clearance. Eibach's part number is 90.6.15.033. They are some quality pieces - machined aluminum, "Made in Germany" engraved on the sides. To install the studs, insert the stud into the rear of the hub, put a couple M12 washers on, thread on an M12 grade 8 nut, and zip it down with an impact wrench. It will pull the stud into the hole, seating it against the hub. Once it touches the hub, stop turning it, otherwise you may stretch the threads. Beware that the nut will get extremely hot, I used anti-sieze on the threads as a lubricant, and PB Blaster to cool the nut off.

New studs installed:

Now that the new studs are installed, you can begin assembling the brakes. Take a wire brush and make sure to get any visible surface rust off the face of the hub. If there is rust on there, the new rotor may not seat all the way on the hub, causing alignment issues. Once the hub is free from rust and clean, put some anti-size on the center of the hub as well as on the wheel studs, and install your new rotor.

Next, get your new caliper and do a test fitment. The new caliper will install the same way as the old caliper bracket did, mounting holes are the same, as well as the thread size and thread pitch. However, you will need washers to space the caliper so it sits evenly on the rotor. I used (2) M12 washers on each bolt, and it spaced it out perfectly. Looking down from the top of the caliper, there was a small gap between each pad and rotor. If the gap is not even, you will not get proper braking. I picked the washers up from Advance Auto, they were $.94 per bag which includes 2 washers.

Here you can see the washers and their placement:

Caliper centered over rotor:

Now that you have your rotor on and your caliper bolted up, check your wheel spoke to caliper clearance. Grab your wheel and slide it on the studs, if it goes all the way on and you still have a couple mm between the spokes and the caliper, you're set. If not, you'll need wheel spacers.

Caliper and rotor assembly:
    (Notice bleeders are upside down - I was only test fitting, this caliper belongs on the other side so the bleeder valves face upwards).

Wheel on studs, not enough clearance without spacers:

Here's the wheel spacers I purchased:

As you can see, unlike regular spacers, they are hub centric, meaning they fit directly on the rotor and maintain the center connection between wheel and hub. Generic spacers don't have that feature, and instead place the wheel to hub alignment solely on the wheel studs and lug nuts.

So if you mount your wheel and everything clears properly, you're set. Time to remove the old calipers and lines and put the new lines on. Start by soaking the hard line (chassis) to brake hose fitting in PB Blaster. It will probably be rusted, and the last thing you want to do it turn it and end up twisting the hard line with it. Once it soaked, you should be able to break it loose with your 12mm line wrench. Put cardboard or a pan down, because brake fluid will start dripping out and onto the floor once the fitting is loose. Once you have the tubing nut broken free, remove the clip that retains the hose the the bracket. You can use a screwdriver and just pry it up and off. Then you can remove the entire line and caliper as one unit and get it out of the way.

Old line and caliper:

Now you can install your new line. The lines you get from Flynbye Performance will include the 3-piece line itself, banjo bolts, and adaptors to go from the new lines to the stock bubble flare fittings on the chassis end. This is where you will need the copper washers from the parts store. I purchased mine from Advance Auto, you can go to any store that has brake washers in the help section though. I bought various sizes to see which would work, you will need two boxes for a total of (4) washers. Here is the size that I found fits best, part # 66272:

Start by installing the caliper side of the line, with one copper washer on each side of the eyelet on the line, as seen here:

My Haynes repair manual calls for 30-32 ft/lbs, which seemed excessively high, so I just torqued them until they were tight enough to compress the copper washers.

Next install the chassis side of the line. First, thread the hard line into the supplied adaptor, and tighten with your 12mm line wrench and an 18mm open end wrench to hold the adaptor side. Once thats tight, you can thread the braided line into the adaptor fitting. Tighten until snug. Also tighten the "L" shaped fitting that is down near the caliper side, it must be snug as well. Make sure not to twist the line as you are tightening the fittings.

Assembled line:

Once you have both sides connected and tight, you can start bleeding the calipers. I had a friend help, but you can also do it by yourself if you purchase a one-man brake bleeder kit. Start with the right (passenger side) caliper and then do the left (driver) side. Both the Z06 and CTS-V calipers use two bleeder valves, make sure to bleed both to ensure there is no air in either side of each caliper. Keep the master cylinder topped off with fresh fluid to avoid it going empty and sucking in air. I also bled the rear brakes for good measure, to make sure that no air was in the system.

Once you're done bleeding the calipers, double check your work, bolt your wheels back on, and you're done!! Take it for a test drive to enjoy your new brakes!!

COTM July '09

BLK/BLK w/CGM Stripes
    2010 Camaro 2SS/M6

thanks soooo much for this. Up to now I've only "read" about this and never seen an install detailed with pics. I plan to do this when it's ready for new pads/rotors.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by That Guy 2-1 View Post
    thanks soooo much for this. Up to now I've only "read" about this and never seen an install detailed with pics. I plan to do this when it's ready for new pads/rotors.
    Glad to help. I roughly calculated the price of new pads, rotors, and calipers (calipers were beat), and by using Hawk Pads, Brembo (or other high quality) rotors, and new Corvette calipers, it came out about the same!! So it was a no brainer for me, the only added cost was the wheel spacers, which I found out I needed after the test fitment.

Sunfire Yellow
    02 Collector Edition T/A

Great write up! This option maybe better than the C5 corvette caliper kit upgrade that requires irreversible cutting. I want to do this bad for my 02 CETA but want to know what 18" replicas wheel offset I can use without buying spacers?
    Last edited by LS2GTO; 11-01-2009 at 10:07 AM.

Black
    99 Formula

Sweet FN upgrade. I DID NOT KNOW THIS. For sure new item on my list. AFR's first. Great write up too.

2000 Camaro B4C

great write up...defiantly a mod to keep in mind for my future
    2000 B4C Special Service Package Z28 - Kooks 1&7/8 Stepped 2'' - TSP Torquer V.2 - FAST 92/92 - BDR 4000 Conveter - Xtreme Trans Stage II - Full UMI Suspension - Pacesetter LT's - Comp Drag Shocks - Magnaflow - Cutout - ZO6 MAF - FTP LID - Street Tuned -

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by LS2GTO View Post
    Great write up! This option maybe better than the C5 corvette caliper kit upgrade that requires irreversible cutting. I want to do this bad for my 02 CETA but want to know what 18" replicas wheel offset I can use without buying spacers?
    As long as the wheels have a 41mm offset or less (on a 9.5" wide wheel) and the spoke design doesn't protrude inwards, then you shouldn't need any wheel spacers

Its definitely a better upgrade than the C5 setup, you get Brembo 4 pistons (instead of PBR 2 pistons) and 14" Z06 rotors instead of 12.8" C5 rotors. And as you mentioned, no cutting required. It also ends up costing about the same as the C5 setup, since you don't need brackets .
    Last edited by Wesman; 11-02-2009 at 01:21 PM.

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Nice job!

SOM
    2002 SS

Great write up !! Thanks so much ! If you don't mind me asking, what is the price on those wheel spacers? ALso where and how much did you buy the extended bolts for?

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 5abivt View Post
    Great write up !! Thanks so much ! If you don't mind me asking, what is the price on those wheel spacers? ALso where and how much did you buy the extended bolts for?
    The Eibach Pro-Spacer kit comes with both the spacers and the extended studs. Got the kit from Advance for somewhere around $130 I believe. That includes both hub centric spacers and 10 wheel studs.

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

So the CTS-V setup will not work with my 17" ZR-1 wheels but will the C5 setup work?

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 9t8z28 View Post
    So the CTS-V setup will not work with my 17" ZR-1 wheels but will the C5 setup work?
    Nope, the CTS-V setup requires 18" wheels, and even with 18's its still close tolerance.

You can definitely use the C5 setup with 17" wheels, it should fit no problem.

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    Nope, the CTS-V setup requires 18" wheels, and even with 18's its still close tolerance.

You can definitely use the C5 setup with 17" wheels, it should fit no problem.
    Thanks.

Sunfire Yellow
    02 Collector Edition T/A

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    As long as the wheels have a 41mm offset or less (on a 9.5" wide wheel) and the spoke design doesn't protrude inwards, then you shouldn't need any wheel spacers

Its definitely a better upgrade than the C5 setup, you get Brembo 4 pistons (instead of PBR 2 pistons) and 14" Z06 rotors instead of 12.8" C5 rotors. And as you mentioned, no cutting required. It also ends up costing about the same as the C5 setup, since you don't need brackets .
    Thanks for the reply Wesman, you da man!

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

This thread fuckin rocks
    ┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐

Man: The Mods you are fighting,
    they are the biggest Men I have ever seen. I
    wouldn't want to fight them!

Me: That is why no one will remember your name!

Paid 2 Post Daycrew SexOnWheels's Avatar

Blood Red
    Z28

Excellent write-up c/w pics!

Sticky worthly imo!

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by SexOnWheels View Post
    Excellent write-up c/w pics!

Sticky worthly imo!
    They made it a sticky over on the LS1Tech, sticky would definitely be cool

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

So how does the car stop now?

Less pedal effort?

Pop the eyeballs outa your head yet!?

Do you notice less brake dust since the rotors should not get as hot?

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 9t8z28 View Post
    So how does the car stop now?

Less pedal effort?

Pop the eyeballs outa your head yet!?

Do you notice less brake dust since the rotors should not get as hot?
    Car stops amazingly now. The brakes feel the same in daily driving, but as soon as you stop quicky from moderate speeds, you notice a huge difference. Pedal effort feels about the same. If anything it may have slightly increased, since you are moving more piston area with the same amount of pedal travel. It just hauls the car down from any speed with amazing power, when I bedded the pads in I couldn't believe how hard it stopped from 80MPH. Felt like I was going through the windshield!!

As for brake dust, its pretty bad. The stock GM pads are pretty dusty, since they are designed for quietness and stopping power. Its really not a matter of heat, just a matter of the friction materials. Porsche's have the same problem, they dust like crazy but thats the tradeoff for performance pads

I'm sure you could swap them out for Hawk ceramics and probably reduce brake dust by a bunch.
    Last edited by Wesman; 11-16-2009 at 04:44 PM.

NBM
    99 TA

Wesman,
    Have you heard any updates about the rears fitting? Also do you know if the front calipers from the G8 GXP are the same as the CTS-V just saying "brembo" rather than the "v"?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information