Give me a place to stand. levityinc3's Avatar

Red
    2000 SS '89 IROC-Z

Nice Stock Grill Insert

]For those that don't want to buy a new insert, and either want to repair their stock insert from bracket damage, or just want it to look better, this is for you.

Remove the insert. Plastic clip-ins on the sides and bottom, and plastic bolt things on the top three. It will look like this without it.

Click for full size

After that, wash the stock insert. Then fill the holes with either bondo, or plastic repair caulk. I used plastic repair caulk, and it was runny, sort of messy, but worked beautifully. Tape the back of the holes, and fill.

Click for full size

Then sand it. When they molded the piece they had it texturized so that it has that rough feel/look. I wanted a smooth, glossy texture. I started with 120 grit, and had a drill attachment which helped speed it up. From 120 I went to about 220, or finer if you want. The sand paper will tear it up pretty good, but don't worry. Should look like this when you get the shit off.

Click for full size

After that then sand a lot more. Once you feel that it is smooth, then use glazing putty and a spreader to fill in any other pits or holes that you either created or missed. Let it dry, then sand some more with fine sandpaper. I used 2000 grit, and it got smooooooth. It will look like this. As you can see I didn't put it in the slotted parts. I didn't really sand their either, looks pretty cool.

Click for full size

After it's real smooth, then spray with primer. Then sand with more 2000 grit, then put on another coat. Then sand again.

Click for full size

After it's nice and primed and smooth, then you're ready for paint. I did mine black, but seeing another color would be pretty sweet.

Click for full size

After drying, you can either paint the inside of the CAMARO, or you can buy inserts for it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Camar...RCHQ3aUSQ3a105

Mine is without inserts currently. Also, I broke my plastic bolt (things) so I had to glue it back in.

Click for full size[/QUOTE]
    Last edited by levityinc3; 05-20-2009 at 04:52 PM.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Added to the museum sticky, thanks for the 2nd thread.

Red
    2000 SS '89 IROC-Z

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    Added to the museum sticky, thanks for the 2nd thread.
    No, thank you sir.

SOM
    2002 SS

Quote Originally Posted by levityinc3 View Post
    ]For those that don't want to buy a new insert, and either want to repair their stock insert from bracket damage, or just want it to look better, this is for you.

Remove the insert. Plastic clip-ins on the sides and bottom, and plastic bolt things on the top three. It will look like this without it.

Click for full size

After that, wash the stock insert. Then fill the holes with either bondo, or plastic repair caulk. I used plastic repair caulk, and it was runny, sort of messy, but worked beautifully. Tape the back of the holes, and fill.

Click for full size

Then sand it. When they molded the piece they had it texturized so that it has that rough feel/look. I wanted a smooth, glossy texture. I started with 120 grit, and had a drill attachment which helped speed it up. From 120 I went to about 220, or finer if you want. The sand paper will tear it up pretty good, but don't worry. Should look like this when you get the shit off.

Click for full size

After that then sand a lot more. Once you feel that it is smooth, then use glazing putty and a spreader to fill in any other pits or holes that you either created or missed. Let it dry, then sand some more with fine sandpaper. I used 2000 grit, and it got smooooooth. It will look like this. As you can see I didn't put it in the slotted parts. I didn't really sand their either, looks pretty cool.

Click for full size

After it's real smooth, then spray with primer. Then sand with more 2000 grit, then put on another coat. Then sand again.

Click for full size

After it's nice and primed and smooth, then you're ready for paint. I did mine black, but seeing another color would be pretty sweet.

Click for full size

After drying, you can either paint the inside of the CAMARO, or you can buy inserts for it.

Mine is without inserts currently. Also, I broke my plastic bolt (things) so I had to glue it back in.

Click for full size
    [/QUOTE]

Ooh inserts !! I was asking about those.. where can I get them?

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by 5abivt View Post

Ooh inserts !! I was asking about those.. where can I get them?

Red
    2000 SS '89 IROC-Z

I think the link I have in the write-up expires after a few days...

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by levityinc3 View Post
    I think the link I have in the write-up expires after a few days...
    It wouldn't work for me. So, I just put up that one for you

Red
    2000 SS '89 IROC-Z

Quote Originally Posted by KahanaReef View Post
    It wouldn't work for me. So, I just put up that one for you
    ...because you're awesome.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

SOM
    2002 SS

Ahh I mistook the insert for flat plugs that would fill the holes. It's actually a sticker to fill the 'camaro' i think.

I was hoping someone would make plugs to fill the holes so we can paint em and make it look good. I'm still trying to come up with something simple to use to fill them.

Red
    2000 SS '89 IROC-Z

Quote Originally Posted by 5abivt View Post
    Ahh I mistook the insert for flat plugs that would fill the holes. It's actually a sticker to fill the 'camaro' i think.

I was hoping someone would make plugs to fill the holes so we can paint em and make it look good. I'm still trying to come up with something simple to use to fill them.
    I've tried that. See "Alternative to Grill Insert" thread. I've talked to multiple body shops, pretty much it's either holey, or there's a grill insert in there, thus, this thread.

Thread Information