'99 -- Z/28 -- Pewter

Headlight Restoration

Though I'm looking at doing my motor mods before i worry about appearance, my headlights looked like crap. Was in ABC looking around and came across a kit to clean them up. Figured what the heck.

http://ctown-crew.org/LS1/LS1-l.JPG

Thats with the left side done. Before starting they both looked like the right side. No, its not 100% perfect. But, as you can see, compared to what the other side looks like, I was very pleased. Working right now, but if anyone wants the brand of the kit I'll look when I get back to the house.

Pewter
    1999 Z28 M6

I got the kit on friday and mine look so much better... I'm sure that the more work you put into it, the better they will look! My arm was shot after sanding! even used an electric buffer haha
    This is a lot better than buying new headlights IMO

'99 -- Z/28 -- Pewter

Yup. Granted, I'll eventually get new headlights, just didn't want to anytime soon. Actually went for a drive last nite after finishing, and man what an improvement on visibility.

Black
    2002 T/A WS.6 -- ASC#12

looks a ton better you just need to buff more, with a foam pad, and try plastX from meguiars (at an auto store) it will come out clear and you wont need the new headlights

'99 -- Z/28 -- Pewter

thanks. I'll pick up some meguiars tonight and try it out. that was the only thing that didn't go well with it. didn't polish up quite like i had expected. But, i was still thrilled with it over what they looked like before.

All the kit consists of is 4 pieces of sandpaper (1000, 1500, 2000, and 2500 grit). Started with the 1000grit since they were so bad and went finer from there.

Though, I can't actually say how much the kit costs. Looked back at the reciept last nite and realized the guy at ABC never actually rang it up. Depending on just how much it is, might be easier to just buy the pieces of sandpaper and then some polish. Since whats included was really only enough sandpaper for 1 headlight (keep in mind mine were horrible).

'99 -- Z/28 -- Pewter

well, picked up some a couple hours ago and came back home. I'll give the polish 2 thumbs up as well. Though after using it, i can definately tell which headlight i spent more time on. Really needed extra (new pieces) sandpaper for the second headlight. By the time I got through with the first, the sandpaper was shot. And it shows on the other light now that i used that polish.

Thanks for recommending that Lucky13

White
    1998 Trans Am

Want a cheap easy fix. I do headlights on the cars i paint for some local used car lots. Depending on how bad you can sand with 1000 grit and buff with 3m brown rubbing compound and a white foam pad. For those with trashed lights like my friends camaro I sand with anything from 400 to 600 grit depending on how bad I;ve even used 320 on a 3" random orbit sander. The tape up around your headlights and get a can of Duplicolor or and spray clearcoat you like and mist 1st coat, then 2 wet coats. Wet sand and buff them like a fender if you pick up dust, I use a spray gun and Dupont clear and i usually add a few drops of blk paint in the clear to give them a very lights smoke look. Looks good if done right and they work like new. if they go bad a few years later just sand and do it again.
    1998 Trans Am 85k miles.
    Bolt ons, MS3 113LSA cam, Circle D Stall, Tune, Modified WS6 style hood, Full Suspension, 6000k HID's, Clear Side Markers w/ Leds, Led 3rd Brake Light and 18" AR Staggered Killer Wheels w/ BFG KDW NT's.- Weekend Toy/DD
    02 Trailblazer -Sold
    09 Ram 1500 CC - Sold
    09 Cobalt SS/TC - Sold
    13 ram 1500 LoneStar CC 4x4 - Magnaflow, K&N,and more to come-DD/Toy

SILVER
    1999 CAMARO SS

Man what caused your headlights to do that? Do you have a bad seal around them?? I am all for cutting corners and not dropping alot of cash for new headlights cause they can be $$$$$$$$$. Good info though!!!
    Whisper Lid/SLP HarmonicBalancer/MAFTranslator/DiabloTuner A-Pillar Gauges (Aem Uego A/F,Trans Temp, D-Pic)Magnaflow CB w/CME Tips/ Eibach Pro Kit/ Brembo Cross Drilled/Slotted Rotors/ H.I.D.Kit

white
    96 ws6

Good info

'99 -- Z/28 -- Pewter

Quote Originally Posted by SSNAKEATER23 View Post
    Man what caused your headlights to do that? Do you have a bad seal around them?? I am all for cutting corners and not dropping alot of cash for new headlights cause they can be $$$$$$$$$. Good info though!!!
    not really sure what caused it. was like that when i bought the car a few weeks ago. eventually I'll buy some new ones, but this works for the time being.

sun/heat damage

If you like. you can check this out. He restored his taillight and made it like new again.

http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forums/...ghts-pics.html

Hope it helps you to restore your headlight.

Black
    02 T/A WS6

2000 grit and wax

Thread Information