Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Mystic Teal Metallic 79U
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Heres what I did. 1) VERY IMPORTANT..make sure engine is cool, hot aluminum and cold water are NOT a good mix. 2) Low pressure garden hose, hose off the engine avoiding a direct spray onto coil packs, ECM and related electrical items like fuse boxes. 3) Spray some simple green onto engine bay trying avoid directly spraying onto bare aluminum (some will get on it but try not to let it sit there) 4) Start scrubbing with towel or brush or both to get the grime off. 5) Hose off gently 6) Dry most of the engine compartment getting to everything you can reach. 7) Once dry spray CD2 engine detailer onto motor and rest of engine bay avoiding your exterior paint. 8) Wipe excess off painted parts in the engine bay and surrounding plastic areas. 9) Open cold beer and admire the work you just put in!! This worked for me not saying works for everyone. Good luck!!

Pewter
    '99 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Walking-Dead
    Heres what I did. 1) VERY IMPORTANT..make sure engine is cool, hot aluminum and cold water are NOT a good mix. 2) Low pressure garden hose, hose off the engine avoiding a direct spray onto coil packs, ECM and related electrical items like fuse boxes. 3) Spray some simple green onto engine bay trying avoid directly spraying onto bare aluminum (some will get on it but try not to let it sit there) 4) Start scrubbing with towel or brush or both to get the grime off. 5) Hose off gently 6) Dry most of the engine compartment getting to everything you can reach. 7) Once dry spray CD2 engine detailer onto motor and rest of engine bay avoiding your exterior paint. 8) Wipe excess off painted parts in the engine bay and surrounding plastic areas. 9) Open cold beer and admire the work you just put in!! This worked for me not saying works for everyone. Good luck!!
    What I still don't understand is, why is everyone so insistent on using Simple Green, when it's been proven that it can cause long-term damage? There are PLENTY of other degreaser products out there that are MUCH safer to be using.

Mystic Teal Metallic 79U
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

I've never had a problem using SG. Of course I don't put it on there and forget about it but it sits for a few minutes and then I hose it off. I have another friend that does the exact same process..in fact that's who told me how to do it and he's never had issues either. I'm not saying SG isn't bad for aluminum...we are very aware of this when using the product. However, like I said we don't let it stay on there very long either. Does a great job on the motor and the rest of the engine compartment.

blue
    1999 pontiac Trans AM

what about the guys like me who have open filters we cant spray the filter

Mystic Teal Metallic 79U
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

If your refering to a volant type air induction I would assume you could tie a plastic bag around the filters with a zip tie or rubber band. Be creative..lol!

blue
    1999 pontiac Trans AM

yes but my $300 setup isnt worth the risk and its the open filter made for aftermarket rapotor2 hoods and for the camaro's Suncoast hoods

Mystic Teal Metallic 79U
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Look...the bottom line is these are mearly suggestions that have worked for OTHER people. NO ONE said you HAVE to do it this way. I have a whisper lid and don't have to worry about it. I'm not taking the hose and shoving it into the airbox opening either. Figure out something else that works for YOU. Like I stated before be creative or just run with your engine dirty...doesn't matter much to me. That's what has worked for ME for 3 years. Good luck!!

White
    '97 Z28 Z4C

Quote Originally Posted by Walking-Dead
    Look...the bottom line is these are mearly suggestions that have worked for OTHER people. NO ONE said you HAVE to do it this way. ... Like I stated before be creative or just run with your engine dirty...doesn't matter much to me. That's what has worked for ME for 3 years. Good luck!!
    That is sage advice, read and heed.
    I think if you're paranoid about water, wrap the items you're worried about with tin foil and go to it... I use Gunk 'foamy engine brite', diluted simple green, hose with a trickle of water, towels, washcloths, tooth brushes, parts brushes, and swabs of assorted sizes, But, and it's a big but, I finish off with a spray down of future floor wax. This is what works for me.

Lil Dog in a big pound

red
    04 pontiac gto

who ,makes cd2 and where can i get it .i tried pepboys and they never heard of it

Mystic Teal Metallic 79U
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

CD2 Engine Detailer is made by CD2 Company. The only place I know that carries the engine detailer is Autozone. It's usually back by the engine degreasers not with the usual cleaning/detailing supplies. The can is chrome with black top and has what looks like a Lamborghini engine on it or something.

red
    04 pontiac gto

ok i tried autozone and they say it got recalled.i also tried some small local shops and nothing.looks like ill have to order it from the web

juiced00ss
    I use grease lightning, and then hose it down on low pressure. then use a blow gun to dry it. then followed up with a water base dressing for vinal.

black
    1996 mark VIII

Lol you guys are going to think I'm nuts.

But I use black magic tire shine. I spray the rag, wipe the rag together and then wipe everything.

I do it about once every two months. In between I just wipe it with armor all GLASS wipes. Glass wipes are good for cleaning everything. Otherwise, yes, Armor All SUCKS!

Glass wipes are very handy though.

Car is always spotless.

red
    04 pontiac gto

if your tryng to use up the left over armor all then yes other then that why would you ever consider using armor all on anything

black
    1996 mark VIII

I hate armor all. But, I had a friend once with some armor all glass wipes and a can of soda exploded all over my door panel. Since then I've been glued to them.

Better than any other glass wipe I've used.

Their protectant products, however... gross. Dust collector. De-moistureizer. Sun attracter. Temerature amplifier. Glare creator. WORTHLESS.

red
    04 pontiac gto

never really tried the glass wipes..what do u use them on?

black
    1996 mark VIII

Edit: accidentally posted twice :/
    Last edited by low_dreams; 05-07-2006 at 05:15 PM.

black
    1996 mark VIII

My car.. The whole thing.

Quick mess cleanups on: Moulding, plastics, windows, dash, door panels, guages, seats, exhaust tips, bird crap, wheels, mirrors, everything under the hood. Gets rid of one or two water spots if the shammey sp? didn't quite cover everything. (car's black)

I spray windex prior to cleaning off birk crap though, so it saturates it. Then I wipe it with about five glass wipes gently so I don't scratch the clear. Streak free. Bird crap has chemicals that eat through clear coat, so if I come out of the store and an obvious bird just flew by I will pop the trunk and pull out the glass wipes and windex.

The only thing I don't use it on, is on my wiper lever. The very top layer of white lettering started to streak the first time I ran over it, I haven't had that problem on anything else though.

They only work good for maintaining a clean car, not for initally cleaning a gunky mess. They do penetrate through dirt though. Very convenient, if used often enough. I'm pretty meticulous.

Big Nasty

Artic White
    1998 Trans Am

Tried the SG and CD2 and BAM!!!!!, That sucker looks real nice! Went with a 1:2 SG/H2O mixture and sprayed off after 5 minutes. Temperatures were in the high 60's/low 70's so everything took a little longer to dry between rinsings of water and applications of CD2. Looks awesome, though!
    98 TA LS1/M6........79 Formula 400/TH400
    "I got the shakes that'll make you quake! I got the fries that'll cross your eyes! I got that burgers that'll... I just got burgers." - Cheeseburger Eddie

Mystic Teal Metallic 79U
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

To help speed up drying process a leaf blower can be used to blow excess water off. Seems to work well.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread Information