Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Pewter
    2002 Chevy Camaro Z28

Hey so what do ya'll use to clean the dash with if amorall is bad? ? i used WD-40 for the engine bay and it also leaves it nice and shinny like the day i bought her and it leaves the block shiny and i also live in texas so i know how SShaRK feels

A couple of people just sayed to hose the thing... but wont that kill the opti and make things prone to short/rust??

96camaroSS
    Absolutely, if you've got an LT1 car. The guys saying to hose it down all have LS1 cars from what I see. They don't have to worry about a wet opti.

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

50/50 water and simple green, engine brite cleaner and hose. CD2 as a detailer

Black
    1998 Trans am WS6

whats so bad about Armor all?

blueorb
    Armor all will actually dry out your parts. Over time your dash (or whaterver) will dry up and start cracking. Very bad for the car.

Black
    98 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by sketterman
    So you dont have to cover ANYTHING even if your gonna spray water all over the engine as long as you use low pressure? And for those who use Simple Green, do you hose down the engine, THEN spray straght SG all over or do you mix the SG with water first in a spray bottle? Also, how long can you let the SG sit before rinsing? Finally, is CD2 the name of the actual product?

I like using colors.
    I mix 1 part SG with 1 part water. Spray on and let it penetrate for five minutes, I will then spray another coat on and let sit for another five minutes. Then hose off with light spray, making sure it is all rinsed off. Do not let SG dry on. You dont need to cover anything, just dont use high pressure.

blueorb
    Quick question. Do you perform the cleaning and spraying with the hose while the eninge is off or on? I am assuming it is with the enigine off - having it on would generate heat which would quickly dissolve the cleaning agent/water.
    But, I'm not sure so I thought I would ask.

Drive it like ya stole it sills1's Avatar

Pewter
    2000 Camaro SS

I recently bought Black Magic Engine cleaner. I was totally satisfied with it. Just follow the instructions on the can and then stand back and admire that new engine look. I picked it up at my local Autozone.

BBATCAR
    Quote Originally Posted by boone94
    What do you guys use to clean your engine bay with? I tried using a damp rag and drying immeadiatly, but later when it's fully dried its still dirty.
    (black car)=(lot of dirt!!!!!!!!)
    Simple Green or Walmart Brand engine cleaner (Cheap)...

If you have an LS1 be careful spraying water towards the back of the engine . It will corrode the Knock Sensor under the intake manifold (I know by experience), costs $300 at the dealer to fix because you have to remove the intake. There is a GM service notice to build a "silicone wall" around the sensor, sensor is cheap, labor is Know problem with washing LS1 engine bays...

1 of 396 T/A Conv 2001 Wayah-bird's Avatar

Taupe/Red
    2001 Trans Am Conv

Armorall rumors

You wonder where this stuff starts. Armorall is fine for your dash. I used it 9 years on my Formula (in Florida too!) and it was as perfect as Day 1. They are right about the engine and exterior. It doesn't harm anything but does attract dirt.

NBM
    2000 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Wayah-bird
    You wonder where this stuff starts. Armorall is fine for your dash. I used it 9 years on my Formula (in Florida too!) and it was as perfect as Day 1. They are right about the engine and exterior. It doesn't harm anything but does attract dirt.
    Agree.............

black
    2002 firehawk

clean engine!!!!

guy's use SCRUBBING BUBBLES. buy it any where .it's for cleaning bathrooms just spray it on (it's foamy ) use i sm paint brush to phiscally clean the engine no scrubing then rinse off with water. NO PRESSURE just rinse . try it you'll like it

Just for the benefit of everyone.Keep in mind that simple green is a corrosive.
    It will corrode metal.So if you get it on wiring or elsewhere and it sits there it will corrode that area.

two tone
    2003 harley davidson f150

well you dont use simple green at full concentrate and avoid areas with wiring or areas where it may trap at ie: strut mount area in engine bay. use it lightly and use a brush to clean the bay then rinse off with little pressure and constantly move the water around so water doesn't trap anywhere also.

Pewter
    '99 Z28

OK, two things:

1) Simple green reacts with and corrodes aluminum over time. LS1s are aluminum. You do the math.

2) Armor All is not bad for your vehicle. It USED TO be bad, back when it was a solvent/silicone based dressing product. Now it has been reformulated and is water based. It's perfectly safe.

Necction
    Ok soooo since you guys are saying Simple Green is corrosive and bad, but all the other guys recomended its use, whats the final count?

Should we or should we not use SG , and if not then what should we use instead. Now that spring is around i really gotta clean out that engine bay and i dont wanna screw up my baby by corroding something.

Thanks

Pewter
    '99 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Necction
    Ok soooo since you guys are saying Simple Green is corrosive and bad, but all the other guys recomended its use, whats the final count?

Should we or should we not use SG , and if not then what should we use instead. Now that spring is around i really gotta clean out that engine bay and i dont wanna screw up my baby by corroding something.

Thanks
    Personally I'd order some Meguiar's Super D-Greaser, or head to your local NAPA store for some Castrol Super Clean. Again, dilute accordingly.

two tone
    2003 harley davidson f150

SG's the best to me. that in conjunction with some CDL? engine spray.. i forget the name Csomething... anyways... can't mess anything in your engine bay with simple green if you spray it on.... use a mild brush for the very dirty areas... then rinse off using a low pressure setting and keep the water moving around the bay so water wont build up in any one spot. nuff said =)~

Pewter
    '99 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by EVL LS1
    can't mess anything in your engine bay with simple green if you spray it on....

Read the thread. And... this link: https://safety.army.mil/warrior_stor...nid=2004930-42

If the DoD says it corrodes Aluminum, and I've seen it happen personally, I think I believe it.
    Last edited by 99Z28 1LE; 03-31-2006 at 07:42 AM.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread Information